M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am preparing for a 14 hour drive with the beast in the back of my 2010 Toyota Tundra crew cab. I have never loaded a bike in the back of a pickup so I started researching. I bought a 3 piece titan ramp so I can ride it up while having my feet on the ramp. I have a few questions for people who have done this before (especially Tundra drivers because of the many 07 tailgate issues).

1) Will I damage the tailgate by riding the bike up the ramp to load it? (Toyota's have a reputation for flimsy gates. I was unaware of this when I bought it)
2) Will driving with the back tire 1/2 way on top of the open gate damage the tailgate? (I worry about hitting bumps and having the bike bounce on it)
3) Is putting a piece of plywood down to help distribute weight on the gate effective in adding strength?
4) Will the bike fit in the bed diagonally with the gate up?

Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated!

Bike-Truck.jpg

·
Registered
667 Posts
3) Is putting a piece of plywood down to help distribute weight on the gate effective in adding strength?

View attachment 268802
This is the only one I can answer. Plywood is fairly flimsy so I'd be hesitant to trust it but it's better than nothing. I'd prefer a good piece of 2x10 or maybe at least a 2x8 that's much more rigid. When I used to transport via pickup truck I had a 2x10 that I angle cut to ramp the tire right up on it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for answering. If I decide to carry it after hearing more feedback I will definitely go with the thicker wood.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is the only one I can answer. Plywood is fairly flimsy so I'd be hesitant to trust it but it's better than nothing. I'd prefer a good piece of 2x10 or maybe at least a 2x8 that's much more rigid. When I used to transport via pickup truck I had a 2x10 that I angle cut to ramp the tire right up on it.
hmmmm
well this isn't my area of expertise, but here are my comments for what it's worth

1) Will I damage the tailgate by riding the bike up the ramp to load it? (Toyota's have a reputation for flimsy gates. I was unaware of this when I bought it)
- considering the full weight of the bike won't be on the gate, it shouldn't hurt (probably a better question for the tundra forum
2) Will driving with the back tire 1/2 way on top of the open gate damage the tailgate? (I worry about hitting bumps and having the bike bounce on it)
- this just doesn't seem like a good idea in anyway. maybe this would be cool for a dirt bike, but not anything larger than a buel blast.
- i'm considering my options for my ram (short bed) and one thing i know i'll be doing is bolting down my wheel chock to some lumber that is as long as the bed is wide. that will give something that can be easily fixed where it wont' move. for the rear i'm leaning towards something like MDF wood.
4) Will the bike fit in the bed diagonally with the gate up?
- what are dimensions of your gate

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess technically i have the Double cab not the crew cab. I can't measure the gate size because the truck is currently in the shop. The specifications are as such:

• Base 5.7L V8 4x2 Double Cab 6.6 ft. box 145.7 in. WB

·
Registered
369 Posts
I guess technically i have the Double cab not the crew cab. I can't measure the gate size because the truck is currently in the shop. The specifications are as such:

• Base 5.7L V8 4x2 Double Cab 6.6 ft. box 145.7 in. WB
So that means you box is 6ft 6in long. the bike is 8 ft 1in (if memory serves me) so no, the bike will not fit on an angle with the gate up.
possibly another option is taking the bike and truck to a dealer, they usually have a ramp system for just this purpose.
I would certainly put a piece of wood (2x8) under the wheels to aid in the weight distribution.

have you considered renting a uhaul trailer? would be a lot easier I would think...
Either way, good luck!

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I cannot comment on the tundra, but I have hauled my M109 in the bed of my 2002 ford lightning. The bed is 6.5' long, and it rode there with no problem at all. I made sure that I anchored it down really tight and secure. As for loading it diagonal, I tend to rather have it straight on.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Buy a 5/10 trailer new or used set it up with a wheel chock to haul the 9 safely then you can use it to haul other stuff later don't think you will be sorry ! Good luck

·
Registered
85 Posts
loading info

i have a 2012 nissan titan ... box length will taolgate down 7'6" ... hauled my bike and many others useing tie down loops on handbars and rachet them tight and one rachet through the back wheel wrapped around n then tighten ....once drove 13 hrs never moved .... no plywood or lumber ever used ... good luck

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Strap the front, Jack the back, Block well the frame near the end of the bed,Remove jack, Tiedowns both ways at the rear, and down. Nothing touching the Tailgate.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I don't know how long is your trip but I would suggest renting an open trailer from your local U-Haul and saving yourself the headache. That will be a steep climb and I have to be almost certain that unless you find a way to level the angle it will scrape as it goes into your bed. U-Haul trailers are rather inexpensive and you might be able to get it as a one way and then pick it up again for your return trip. It might be even cheaper to keep it for the entire duration of the trip if it is not for too many days and is within you budget.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Sticky wicket!! Don't think I would ride the bike up the ramp cause if you are around 200lb + the bike you are nearly at 1 K weight on the tailgate!! Don't think I would trust the tailgate cables de driving either. Just my 2 centavos.

I suggest a small trailer, that is what I did and I have an F150. Just don't trust the tailgate. If it was a long bed you could take the tailgate off load the bike and replace.

Loading diagonal is tough to tie down securely.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tundra-ATV.jpg

Thank you guys for responding. I really appreciate everyone's input. I am still undecided about how i'm going to transport. I was on the Tundra forum and one of the members posted this picture of his ATV on the Tundra bed/tailgate. He says putting the board underneath helps distribute the weight and makes it durable to haul while protecting the gate. He also strapped the rear down to eliminate bouncing. I'm very tempted to go this route because I would rather carry it than tow it, but if my tailgate fails I will be pissed!

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
View attachment 268866

Thank you guys for responding. I really appreciate everyone's input. I am still undecided about how i'm going to transport. I was on the Tundra forum and one of the members posted this picture of his ATV on the Tundra bed/tailgate. He says putting the board underneath helps distribute the weight and makes it durable to haul while protecting the gate. He also strapped the rear down to eliminate bouncing. I'm very tempted to go this route because I would rather carry it than tow it, but if my tailgate fails I will be pissed!
I do the same thing with the 9. Have hauled it just like your pic but with the 9. I bought a sheet of 3/4" plywood and cut it feet wide and the length of the bed with the tail gate down and havent any issues. By using the plywood it helps distribute the weight better for the tailgate.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You eliminate a lot of variables with a trailer. Plus, the cost of repair should something go wrong would be much greater than the cost of a trailer.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Riding it up is a death wish... The tailgate should handle it, if it didn't I would be pissed & have to get a real truck ( sorry to offend). My nightmare would be loading & unloading. As said before rent a trailer & be done with it.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
i agree with Adrian two years ago i had car tire on my bike and went riding to Island 250 km later ike lost air and i got stranded it was a Sunday and BCAA was a Bi atch they wanted all sorts of money and ferry cost also i said scr ew you guys. went to uhual rented a trailer i think it was 30 bucks or so got thebike back returned the trailer peace of mind. i did takemy wheel chock along and tied the bike . easiest sturdy and no worries.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I broke one of the cables on my Tundra hauling a steel work bench. It was heavy but not near as heavy as the bike. Also, if you look closely at the pic with the ATV, the rear tires are barely over the tailgate. Very little weight actually on the tailgate.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts