Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
8,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, I PM'd him about it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The Shorai part # for the M109 is LFX18A1-BS12. I inquired about these @ the International Bike show. You have to look up the European model of the M109 which is the Intruder 1800. It weighs 2.19 lbs. and is rated @ 270 CCA. Retail price $180-$190. It is much smaller so it gives you foam spacers to make up the size difference. If you know somebody in the business they can be bought for $110 jobber wholesale. For storage, a 2 amp max charge rate is all that's needed.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Thanks Pete
Anyone know what the CCA is on our batteries? It's not in the book. I am going to be at 12 to 1 compression. I would love to tuck a teeny little 3 lb battery up in a hiding spot.
Bob

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Thanks that should do the job. It is way smaller than the stocker and can mount flat. I can hide it.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
my Suzuki dealer has them and they are priced slightly higher then lead batterys are, that price seems real high

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
8,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Doing a Google search for the part number (LFX21A6-BS12) seems to validate that price everywhere. If you can find one for a price close to a lead acid battery, post a link! I'll probably need a new battery soon - mine is 4 years old.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The Shorai part # for the M109 is LFX18A1-BS12. I inquired about these @ the International Bike show. You have to look up the European model of the M109 which is the Intruder 1800. It weighs 2.19 lbs. and is rated @ 270 CCA. Retail price $180-$190. It is much smaller so it gives you foam spacers to make up the size difference. If you know somebody in the business they can be bought for $110 jobber wholesale. For storage, a 2 amp max charge rate is all that's needed.
But the battery we need is the LFX21A6-BS12 which is rated at CCA 315.
Are you saying that we can use LFX18A1-BS12 ?

·
Registered
364 Posts
But the battery we need is the LFX21A6-BS12 which is rated at CCA 315.
Are you saying that we can use LFX18A1-BS12 ?
The # I listed was recommended by the Shorai rep. I'm assuming the 315 CCA battery you are referring to is based on size. I mentioned the actual footprint of the battery is smaller. You can however put the higher cranking battery which is the same basic size as a stock battery. The weight would be a little more, but still lighter than stock. For most of us, a battery that is smaller, and performs equal or better in performance to a stock battery is a plus. In this case, bigger may not be better. Having a smaller battery footprint would give you enough room for other things like tools, accessory junction box, fuel controller, etc. It would be better access under the seat for a fuel controller rather than having to remove a side cover. The Shorai rep did admit that they needed to update their application guide. Anyways, you can use the bigger footprint battery and have more cranking amps for more accessories or go with the smaller footprint battery that exceeds the stock battery in performance, weight, and size. Your choice!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
453 Posts
The # I listed was recommended by the Shorai rep. I'm assuming the 315 CCA battery you are referring to is based on size. I mentioned the actual footprint of the battery is smaller. You can however put the higher cranking battery which is the same basic size as a stock battery. The weight would be a little more, but still lighter than stock. For most of us, a battery that is smaller, and performs equal or better in performance to a stock battery is a plus. In this case, bigger may not be better. Having a smaller battery footprint would give you enough room for other things like tools, accessory junction box, fuel controller, etc. It would be better access under the seat for a fuel controller rather than having to remove a side cover. The Shorai rep did admit that they needed to update their application guide. Anyways, you can use the bigger footprint battery and have more cranking amps for more accessories or go with the smaller footprint battery that exceeds the stock battery in performance, weight, and size. Your choice!:bigthumbsup:
thanks

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I thought I would give some feedback after using a Shorai Battery for a couple of years now. Firstly my bike has an aftermarket alarm that has a constant drain on the batt and I am not a frequent rider just a social rider.
I got the battery from a friend at a good price so I thought I'd give it a whirl.
I wasn't impressed. ...
It was not reliable for my situation and was always having to charge it. It has failed after a couple of years so I haven't really got any benefit from it at all. Back to a normal battery with trickle charger

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.