M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

New member and have taken the time to read many of the postings , but find it hard to figure out what each mod is , and where i could possibly find them to take advantage of them for myself .

If it is possible could you take the time to drop a link on this post for stuff you think i might find interesting

proud owner of a SILVER 2005 M109R 2 weeks now and put 900 on it already

previous rides
197? Indian 50
1984 XR80
1993 FZR 600
1998 1100 Shadow
2000 YZF R1
2006 M109R

Thanks for your time

Travis

G

·
Travis, Welcome and congrats on your new ride. Try going into the Technical page and on the very top is a how to section. There are some of the most popular mods that guys have done. That will give you some basics: Grips, pegs, plates, LED's etc. From there you can get an idea of what you may want to do next. CAUTION: Mods can be hazardous to your credit card.

·
Registered
844 Posts
   I share your pain! This site started up in March or April, and stuff started getting added to it exponentially in May & June. It is VERY hard to jump on board in the middle.

Here are a few things that should help you use the search function to advantage (but realize that there are frequently many threads pertaining to any given mod, or type of mods)

The bike retards the timing in the 1st 4 gears. One mod is the TRE (timing retard eliminator) -- you will find the earliest (do-it-yourself) threads referred to as the "maniac mod" since it is described by a guy on the board whose handle is Maniac109 (I think). Jeff Wallace then started putting out a commercial (plug-in) version. Look under "JSD" or "JSD mod" -- there are dozens of threads on this -- complicate by the fact that there are three versions -- one of which is "ON" all the time, one which has a switch for turning it on and off (JSD-2M), and the JSD-3M which allegedly "preserves the idle [speed] in neutral" -- but which actually may NOT do this -- thus MANY threads on this. JSD can be found (and purchased) at JSD Products (do Google search).

Many of us have been interested in windshields -- the curent "winner" has been the Shooter from Memphis Shades -- although there have been a few others -- there have also been a few that were tried and didn't work out well -- so if you're not interested in a Shooter, be sure to read all the way down through the thread. Searching "windshields" and "windscreens" should bring up most of the relevant threads --- also search "Shooter". They are available through Direct Line Parts, including the adapters that you need to get them to fit on our bars.

There are only a few after-market pipes out there so far. Manly the Cobra Dragsters and Cobra Slashdowns, the Mortons, and one or two others. Other entries from the aftermarket are expected -- but nobody knows when. Searches under "Cobra" "Slashdowns" "Dragsters" and "pipes' should lead to most of the threads -- including some sound bites of the actual mods.

Many of us have just modified the stock pipes for now -- until something better comes along. "Medic109" actually made a step-by-step video of how this is done. Also search under "stock pipe mod".

Quite a few of those who have made the switch to after-market pipes have added a fuel management system by Cobra referred to as the Cobra FI2000. There is MUCH debate as to whether this is the best way to go -- vs. other fuel management systems -- but the reality is that it is the only one out there right now. An alternative is the Power Commander which is more expensive and versatile and "mappable" -- but it isn't out yet. See MULTIPLE threads (both on Tech and General boards) under "Cobra" "FI2000" "Power Commander" etc. etc. etc.

I think the consensus is to either get a FI2000 if you have after-market pipes, OR do the stock pipe mod., wait for the aftermarket pipes you want, and then decide FI2000 vs. Power Commander based on the TONS of stuff that ha been said on this topic on this Board.

People are also wanting to modify the air boxes -- again, nothering has yet hit the aftermarket -- although we keep hearing that Thunder is poised to release something. There is a prototype being made -- search "$425 air kit" and Lamont (the originator of this Board) is finishing up
his offering -- which will be available through Direct Line as soone as he has it up and tested (several recent posts on this in both the Tch and General Sections.

If you want some REAL power -- search under "supercharger" -- not yet a reality for this bike, but could be.

The rest of the mods have been cosmetic -- removing all that plastic from the back of the bike and replacing the lights and doind a license plate mod (Search "license plate" "side mount" "lights" etc. etc.etc.)

One other are has been seats and back rests for the passenger. Corbin makes a seat and a nice looking (IMHO) passenger back rest -- but it's pricey. Some guys havebeen sending there seats over to Australia for a custom passenger back rest -- Search "metcruze".

There have also been handle bar mods (repositioning mostly) and brake pedal mods (search "handlebars" "brake pedal"

Lamont is also working on an air-lowering kit - which can alos be used for raising the bike a bit (search "lowering") You will probably get some hits for lowereing bones (which I think are available on Direct Line).

There are also kits for fitting an even WIDER (rear tire -- Lamont is working on one for a 300 (!), and I think there is one comercially available for about $ 3,500 to change from 240 to 280.Â

I hope that helps --- one problem with this Board is that it grows so much practically daily, that it is really hard to catch up. Also: who would think to look under "maniac mod" for instructions on how to make your own TRE.

Oh YEAH: DON'T OVERFILL YOUR OIL, (or let your dealer do it)!

Welcome, and good luck. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANK YOU FOR THE DETAILED POST tomph1

Now my dealer did overfill the bike when i bought it ,

it was very light leak and not for long ,
should i do anything about this ?

since i have owned it i have seen nothing leaking !

once again thank you and i will have pics up soon as i figure out how to

lol

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
tomph1 said:
   I share your pain! This site started up in March or April, and stuff started getting added to it exponentially in May & June. It is VERY hard to jump on board in the middle.

Here are a few things that should help you use the search function to advantage (but realize that there are frequently many threads pertaining to any given mod, or type of mods)

The bike retards the timing in the 1st 4 gears. One mod is the TRE (timing retard eliminator) -- you will find the earliest (do-it-yourself) threads referred to as the "maniac mod" since it is described by a guy on the board whose handle is Maniac109 (I think). Jeff Wallace then started putting out a commercial (plug-in) version. Look under "JSD" or "JSD mod" -- there are dozens of threads on this -- complicate by the fact that there are three versions -- one of which is "ON" all the time, one which has a switch for turning it on and off (JSD-2M), and the JSD-3M which allegedly "preserves the idle [speed] in neutral" -- but which actually may NOT do this -- thus MANY threads on this. JSD can be found (and purchased) at JSD Products (do Google search).

Many of us have been interested in windshields -- the curent "winner" has been the Shooter from Memphis Shades -- although there have been a few others -- there have also been a few that were tried and didn't work out well -- so if you're not interested in a Shooter, be sure to read all the way down through the thread. Searching "windshields" and "windscreens" should bring up most of the relevant threads --- also search "Shooter". They are available through Direct Line Parts, including the adapters that you need to get them to fit on our bars.

There are only a few after-market pipes out there so far. Manly the Cobra Dragsters and Cobra Slashdowns, the Mortons, and one or two others. Other entries from the aftermarket are expected -- but nobody knows when. Searches under "Cobra" "Slashdowns" "Dragsters" and "pipes' should lead to most of the threads -- including some sound bites of the actual mods.

Many of us have just modified the stock pipes for now -- until something better comes along. "Medic109" actually made a step-by-step video of how this is done. Also search under "stock pipe mod".

Quite a few of those who have made the switch to after-market pipes have added a fuel management system by Cobra referred to as the Cobra FI2000. There is MUCH debate as to whether this is the best way to go -- vs. other fuel management systems -- but the reality is that it is the only one out there right now. An alternative is the Power Commander which is more expensive and versatile and "mappable" -- but it isn't out yet. See MULTIPLE threads (both on Tech and General boards) under "Cobra" "FI2000" "Power Commander" etc. etc. etc.

I think the consensus is to either get a FI2000 if you have after-market pipes, OR do the stock pipe mod., wait for the aftermarket pipes you want, and then decide FI2000 vs. Power Commander based on the TONS of stuff that ha been said on this topic on this Board.

People are also wanting to modify the air boxes -- again, nothering has yet hit the aftermarket -- although we keep hearing that Thunder is poised to release something. There is a prototype being made -- search "$425 air kit" and Lamont (the originator of this Board) is finishing up
his offering -- which will be available through Direct Line as soone as he has it up and tested (several recent posts on this in both the Tch and General Sections.

If you want some REAL power -- search under "supercharger" -- not yet a reality for this bike, but could be.

The rest of the mods have been cosmetic -- removing all that plastic from the back of the bike and replacing the lights and doind a license plate mod (Search "license plate" "side mount" "lights" etc. etc.etc.)

One other are has been seats and back rests for the passenger. Corbin makes a seat and a nice looking (IMHO) passenger back rest -- but it's pricey. Some guys havebeen sending there seats over to Australia for a custom passenger back rest -- Search "metcruze".

There have also been handle bar mods (repositioning mostly) and brake pedal mods (search "handlebars" "brake pedal"

Lamont is also working on an air-lowering kit - which can alos be used for raising the bike a bit (search "lowering") You will probably get some hits for lowereing bones (which I think are available on Direct Line).

There are also kits for fitting an even WIDER (rear tire -- Lamont is working on one for a 300 (!), and I think there is one comercially available for about $ 3,500 to change from 240 to 280.Â

I hope that helps --- one problem with this Board is that it grows so much practically daily, that it is really hard to catch up. Also: who would think to look under "maniac mod" for instructions on how to make your own TRE.

Oh YEAH: DON'T OVERFILL YOUR OIL, (or let your dealer do it)!

Welcome, and good luck. :bigthumbsup:
Bravo Sir , great post!! :bigthumbsup:.................pretty much laid it all out in one post , without the usual eye strain from hour of reading ;)

Hmmm come to think of it.............alright who hit easy button on this one :joke:

·
Registered
844 Posts
BADBOYZ: If your dealer overfilled your oil, he should at least replace your air filter(s) for free. Most people only had oil coming out of one side (the left -- I think). The oil will gum up the filter -- and at any rate, he should make good on his error (they've gotta learn somehow!)

Again, this Board STARTED with post about the oil overfill problem -- there must be a dozen or more threads related to this, if you're looking for some late-night reading.

Bottom line: get dealer to replace filter(s). Otherwise (unless your bike falls over when you slip in the oil -- as happened to one guy) -- no real harm was done. Read up on how to check the oil level in the owner's manual, and either do your own oil changes from now on (see step- by-step [with pictures] posted by Lamont) -- or stand over your dealer's shoulder when he does it. I personally measure how much oil comes OUT when I drain it, and add that much back -- then check it according to the standard procedure (in the manual). You'll probably have to add a little more, but you won't have it spewing out of your airboxes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts