M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a slight ticking sound when I've been riding around 20-30 mph. I cant really tell where its coming from but it kind of sounds like the front of the engine, could this be time for a valve adjustment? the bike has 5100 miles on it. :dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,864 Posts
I doubt it's your valves, they don't require checking until 14,500 miles and seldom do they need shimmed even then.

It could be your fuel injectors, which is normal. Or at that speed you could still be hearing the clutch basket rattling. If it increases when you accelerate lightly it could be an exhaust leak as V42A9 suggested.

But this bike does make a lot of whirring, whining and ticking noises. If it's a light noise it's probably nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Ticking

Nobody said you need louder pipes yet? OK, I will!
Zoom's right, big v-twins make lots of noises. I'd be surprised if it didn't make noise!:D

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Your pipes are definitely not loud enough.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I doubt it's your valves, they don't require checking until 14,500 miles and seldom do they need shimmed even then.

It could be your fuel injectors, which is normal. Or at that speed you could still be hearing the clutch basket rattling. If it increases when you accelerate lightly it could be an exhaust leak as V42A9 suggested.

But this bike does make a lot of whirring, whining and ticking noises. If it's a light noise it's probably nothing to worry about.
:agree:

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Nobody said you need louder pipes yet? OK, I will!
Zoom's right, big v-twins make lots of noises. I'd be surprised if it didn't make noise!:D
:agree: with CBR too louder the better!!! you got to love it when you are rideing down the road and the person to the right of you is in there car trying to talk on the phone and my side burner makes it imposible for that to happen!!!:bigthumbsup: makes me smile every time!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll check the exhaust bolts. I'm running V&H big shots, I had the baffles out of them but it was way way too loud. sounded like a damn thunderstorm brewing up everytime I let off the throttle. :evil:
I was thinking about about drilling the baffles but I like the way it sounds right now without the packing in them.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
:agree: with CBR too louder the better!!! you got to love it when you are rideing down the road and the person to the right of you is in there car trying to talk on the phone and my side burner makes it imposible for that to happen!!!:bigthumbsup: makes me smile every time!!!
:agree:Nothing better than having someone pull out in front of then just roll up beside them and lay on the throttle while their window is down and watch em drop their drink, cell phone, and make up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts