M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 09 9. Bought it new about two months ago. I notice on acceleration I hear a tapping or knocking noise from the top end. Only under load. Don't hear it in neutral with a blip of the throttle. The bike runs great. Have no issues. Is this just normal valve train noise for this engine?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
yes. mine and my buddys does the same thing, i know what your talking about. mine did it right out of the box, the 9 like all v-twins are clanky, its the nature of the beast. Its no sport bike, but a bitchen v-twin

·
Registered
1,722 Posts

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
My guess has always been...after 18,0000 miles on mine, that it's more related to timing as if my ATRE is installed it enhances this effect in the lower three gears only. I no longer run the ATRE as I have the lower rpm mixture sufficient to eliminate the low rpm surge our bikes have from the factory and I don't need to run 149mph anymore :D

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My guess has always been...after 18,0000 miles on mine, that it's more related to timing as if my ATRE is installed it enhances this effect in the lower three gears only. I no longer run the ATRE as I have the lower rpm mixture sufficient to eliminate the low rpm surge our bikes have from the factory and I don't need to run 149mph anymore :D
I do have a GE4 TRE. And now that you mention it I do notice it's in the lower three gears. It's a noise I can live with, I just wanted to make sure it was normal for this bike. My last bike was a vtx 1300 and that engine was pretty noisy. Now that I've had the nine a couple of months I think I'm just more tuned in to any noises I hear.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I've got an 09 9. Bought it new about two months ago. I notice on acceleration I hear a tapping or knocking noise from the top end. Only under load. Don't hear it in neutral with a blip of the throttle. The bike runs great. Have no issues. Is this just normal valve train noise for this engine?
I have the problem in 4th and 5th gear only WOT. I am curious what it may be. Lower 3 gears, no issues under hard acceleration. 4th and 5th gears not an issue if I don't totally gun it. I'm puzzled, thinking it has got to be valves, fuel injectors, or I need colder plugs or higher octane gas:dontknow: . 18,000+ miles on the bike and I've just noticed over the past 3,000 or so. Supposedly the valves got checked at 14,500 and all were within spec.

G

·
Mine did it early on, but not since maybe 3K miles or slightly less. But I also have a TRE from Trackday, and I think that may have helped. Could be a coincidence.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,882 Posts
Look up preignition or detonation and see what it says about it. A little light ticking on acceleration is OK, but if it does it steady and hard it can damage your engine.

Mine does it a little without my TRE enabled and more with it. The TRE only affects the lower 3 gears, so I can't do anything about it doing it in 4th or 5th. I add a little octane booster to it every other tank and that helps control it.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whatever this noise is I believe it's normal because I can hear it on nearly every 9 on YouTube. It's just got a very recognizable engine sound.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts