M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the site, and a new owner of a white 07, wanted a swingarm plate relocator, but wasn't sure if it's illegal or not. I know we're not allowed to have them in the Military, but wondered about the Civilian world.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have a side mount plate, in Houston, no problems here. Had a cop slow and drop in behind me to run my plate. I believe that the main thing is that is has to be visable.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Different law in each state, some yes some no, some yes but vertical side mount is a no, no. Think mine is illegal, see them on customs everywhere. Good luck!

·
Registered
566 Posts
"I know we're not allowed to have them in the Military,"

Thats funny,

There's no military equipment laws, your vehicle has to comply with the equipment laws of the state it is registered in.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm in NM here and got pulled over for a verticle side mount, I told the cop I had contacted MVD and they said it wasn't illegal he said he was going to print out the statue saying it was but came back and just gave me a warning and let me go, still haven't replaced it, I think he was wrong and didn't want to admit it. Depends where u are I guess....

·
Registered
183 Posts
I can tell you FOR SURE that it is NOT ILLEGAL... got it from the horses mouth my dad is a cop down herejust south of houston so i asked him... you're good to go lol...

·
Registered
183 Posts
and it can be vertical also i think you have to have some light on it though...

·
Registered
810 Posts
I just called the Alabama DMV (334-242-9006) and she told me it is illegal to mount a motorcycle license vertical.

Sorry! In GA they allow us to mount vertical.

You could try it and see what happens!

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm in Virginia and also in the military, I have a vertical plate with 4500 miles and not a single problem. Even here at a TRADOC post where the rules are VERY strict, no porblems.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The New York state trooper that i spoke to had a interesting answer... he said as long as it is readable from behind the bike... but one of the old timers who obviously wasn't a bike fan chimed in and said...well... i read from left to right not up and down. The younger one looked at me and said...well... i guess it all depends who is behind you.

In NY state you have to be able to read it from behind.... the way it reads... you can be ticketed if you get the wrong guy behind you. That is for vertical only... side mount horizontal (as long as it can be seen from behind the bike) is legal.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
... you can be ticketed if you get the wrong guy behind you.
:agree:

In Wisconsin it is a violation, but like Feelo said...I've never stopped a bike for having a vertically mounted plate. As long as I can read it I personally don't care either way.

Isn't there a plate mount out there that swivels to both vertical and horizontal?

·
Registered
183 Posts
oops! when i read this i guess i saw the first reply by markallen and thought u were in houton... well its legal here but like others have said just go to the police station and ask they are always welcome to people finding out what they laws before doing any work...

·
Registered
961 Posts
In Virginia it states in the statue that the license plate has to be Horizontal and at least 12 " from the groud, 4 weeks ago a Va. State Trooper informed me of that. I didn't want to replace the side mount with horizontal positioning one, so I ordered the tail relocator kit instead. I just don't want the hassle, I've had the side mount for 3 years now and all of a sudden it's bringing attention. It depends what they are looking for that day...

·
Registered
281 Posts
In GA. Out riding and my partna got pulled over because the tag was vertical. He was told the plate must be turned horizontal

·
Registered
810 Posts
In GA. Out riding and my partna got pulled over because the tag was vertical. He was told the plate must be turned horizontal
I guess I need to verify! My mechanic told me it was legal. Also when I was at the local DMV I asked, she wasn't sure but said her boyfriend's tag is vertical.

I'll check and let everyone know what I find.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I guess I need to verify! My mechanic told me it was legal. Also when I was at the local DMV I asked, she wasn't sure but said her boyfriend's tag is vertical.

I'll check and let everyone know what I find.
Hell you can't get a straight answer. I called the Georgia State Patrol and he claimed "it has to be mounted the correct way". I don't think he knew!

Oh well, I've had mine mounted vertical for 1.5 years and haven't got a ticket for it yet.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts