M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys, So this weekend I installed some Cycle House levers and decided to go for a ride. about 1/2 mile from my house just as I'm shifting into 3rd. My from tire starts to shake. My wheel cuts to the left sharply and I am thrown to the ground and slide about 15 feet as I watch my bike continue to slide about 30-40 feet farther away. I get up and see I am okay only minor road rash and go to my bike I stand it up. My shifter is bent and my tank is dented but the bike cranks and I try to move it off the road but it wont budge. I play around and come to find out the the brake lever got stuck and locked up the front tire. After playing with it and getting it unstuck I take the bike and my bruised ego back home and estimate the damage. A scarred LH rear fender rail, bent shifter and a baseball dent in the tank. I loved the look of the levers and want some nice ones but not if they compromise my safety. I'll just stay with stock and get them chromed but they looked so good with my kewlmetal 2 inch risers. So what kind of levers do you guys use? And to silence any comments yes I installed them correctly and had them looked at before I hopped on the bike.

As if any of you guys have a Left side rear rail fender (The chrome boomerang shaped piece or a stock shifter and you want to sell it Please pm me.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
:eek: Before the accident, could you feel that the brakes were partially engaged as you rode?

Is that the lever you installed before the accident?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the lever wouldn't engage all the way and yes they are the levers I installed.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I have those same levers and have had no problems BUT there have been a few folks post that they have had problems with the brake side when they put it on...might want to contact DLP and see what they say.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I have those levers and I can't see how they can get stuck like that... That is quite disturbing . Is there something I can check on my bike to see if this problem can occur?

When did you install the levers? I've had mine on for at least 2 months and seems to be working as expected.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
DO NOT TAMPER WITH THE LEVER!!

Remove it and keep it just as it is.

Notify DLP and cyclehouse.

It is one thing to notice the imperfection and fix it yourself, but if this caused you to go down and resulted in damage to your bike and/or you, then you may need it just as it was when it caused the problem.

If you are going through your insurance to fix the damage, they will have a subrogation claim and can insist that you not harm their case.

If you do not go through your insurance, you will need it to prove your claim.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just called DLP and they said they are aware of the problems and have talked to the Manufacture and they are also replacing my levers for free. Even though now I know I may have to grind them down at the contact a little. I wish getting the tank done was this easy. These vendors need to test the products thoroughly. Before someone gets killed!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
What's up guys, So this weekend I installed some Cycle House levers and decided to go for a ride. about 1/2 mile from my house just as I'm shifting into 3rd. My from tire starts to shake. My wheel cuts to the left sharply and I am thrown to the ground and slide about 15 feet as I watch my bike continue to slide about 30-40 feet farther away. I get up and see I am okay only minor road rash and go to my bike I stand it up. My shifter is bent and my tank is dented but the bike cranks and I try to move it off the road but it wont budge. I play around and come to find out the the brake lever got stuck and locked up the front tire. After playing with it and getting it unstuck I take the bike and my bruised ego back home and estimate the damage. A scarred LH rear fender rail, bent shifter and a baseball dent in the tank. I loved the look of the levers and want some nice ones but not if they compromise my safety. I'll just stay with stock and get them chromed but they looked so good with my kewlmetal 2 inch risers. So what kind of levers do you guys use? And to silence any comments yes I installed them correctly and had them looked at before I hopped on the bike.

As if any of you guys have a Left side rear rail fender (The chrome boomerang shaped piece or a stock shifter and you want to sell it Please pm me.
really sorry to hear about your misfortune. Luckily you're ok and the bike can be fixed. Personally I'm starting to get a bad taste about some of the aftermarket companies that are on DLP's site. Being in the auto biz for 25 years I have learned a great deal about aftermarket vs. OEM. Granted, Suzuki doesn't offer some of the trinkets we all want, but I'm sure the Suzuki accessories are engineered exactly as needed.

That being said, after reading BobbyMac's link about other members having similar problems I have to start wondering how much responsibility these aftermarket companies bear when damage is done due to the lack of proper design or machining. Yesterday I read an older link where the RIS fuel caps were caving in gas tanks, and now I'm seeing brake levers sticking closed are causing accidents.

I realize we are buying aftermarket parts to "modify" our bikes, but I would also assume that these parts are engineered specifically for our bikes and that we shouldn't have to "modify" the parts ourselves so as to not cause damage of some sort.

When it comes time for these companies to help pay for the damages caused by their faulty machining/design process, are they going to start pointing out some fine print somewhere that absolves their responsibility??

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Good points for sure, Dale....it is a bit un-nerving! There should be some accountability but I bet it's "buyer beware".

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good point even though DLP is switching them out I am thinking about staying stock and getting liquidpan to chrome the stocks. A mod is not worth my life. And get this the company who manufacturers the levers said they hadn't heard of any of problems with the levers but DLP says they are continuing to tell them about the problems. So I'm like just stop doing business with the company!:cus:

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Good point even though DLP is switching them out I am thinking about staying stock and getting liquidpan to chrome the stocks. A mod is not worth my life. And get this the company who manufacturers the levers said they hadn't heard of any of problems with the levers but DLP says they are continuing to tell them about the problems. So I'm like just stop doing business with the company!:cus:
The Cycle house brake lever not fully disengaging (resting) is an extremely simple problem to fix. I posted this fix 2 years ago:

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98052&highlight=cycle+house+lever+binding+brakes

I have the same levers, and had the brake binding problem as well. 5 minutes and gone!

Please pass the fix on to DLP. I'm sure that they aren't aware of how easy it is to fix. Cyclehouse really should add documentation with their levers as a fix if this problem crops up.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I already emailed them your fix. :bigthumbsup:

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,767 Posts
I just called DLP and they said they are aware of the problems and have talked to the Manufacture and they are also replacing my levers for free. Even though now I know I may have to grind them down at the contact a little. I wish getting the tank done was this easy. These vendors need to test the products thoroughly. Before someone gets killed!
Of COURSE they are "willing" to replace your levers. They are probably DYING to get them back. That way you can't file suit against them.

Like Square Rounder said, DON'T modify them, and DON'T return them until AFTER the insurance company says to... or until after your lawyer says to...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Personally, I'd look in to legal advise. That is retarded. And buyer beware. So we have to be so aware of what we're buying because it could potentially kill us!!! Where's the obligation of the manufacturer?
Seek legal. IMHO.
Sorry for the nasty experience. And good luck.
Paul

I also agree with the post above completely....... keep the levers.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I guess that would have been funny to see.............................if it didn't hurt so much!:duck:I hope you get the repairs paid for too!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Cycle House Levers

Sorry to hear about that Getlow...at least you weren't seriously injured or worse which could have easily have happened.

I have those levers[match the CH mirror extensions] on my Nine also. Bought them through DLP probably a t least several years ago...have had no problems with anything but will certainly B looking @ the fix...scary.

If I had the stock parts U need would B glad 2 send them 2 U...again...sorry:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Sounds to me like two things coursed what your talking about. One would be the brake leaver and the other would be a low front tire.

Just sounds kinda funky to me. You didn't find out that the leaver was stuck till you picked the bike back up. Could of jammed the leaver when the bike went down. You said that the bike jammed to the left and throw you off. IF the leaver was sticking I would think you would of felt it in your fingers.

Not trying to be a asss here just preparing you for what could be asked.

Sorry to hear you went down. The good thing is you walked away from it.

I know when i've locked my front brake up i can make the bike dance on the front tire. If you have low psi in the front tire it would lock the tire to one side or the other.

Good luck with the case.

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,767 Posts
Sounds to me like two things coursed what your talking about. One would be the brake leaver and the other would be a low front tire.
Yeah, you WERE running the recommended 52 PSI, right? :joke:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts