M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any pointers as to how to do a safe turning/cornering? I know a bit about counter-steering but always 'drop a jaw' when reading members scraping their 9s. Never imagine I could do that without the proper skill.Thanks in advance.:p

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Practice, practice, and more ride time

Driving that aggressive will come with time behind the bars. It really isn't something one just does. I have been riding all my life and took a full month of getting to know my beast before scrapping the pegs. Great feeling the way this thing hugs the road. Just take your time!!
Any pointers as to how to do a safe turning/cornering? I know a bit about counter-steering but always 'drop a jaw' when reading members scraping their 9s. Never imagine I could do that without the proper skill.Thanks in advance.:p

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Read this http://www.lazymotorbike.eu/tips/corners/#corner

Yes nothing beats time in the saddle and trying to put into practice some and then eventually all of these techniques. Practice makes perfect, but don't rush it, keep it simple.

I just try to get my line setup correct before entering.....also adjust my speed before entering the curve.....keep my eyes focused up ahead on the exit point.....trust the bike and roll on the throttle through the apex.

Scrapping pegs isn't something you "try to do". It's just something that "happens" on cruisers when your riding fast in tight curves. :doorag:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I scrape all the time, not on purpose, i just lean over and feel totally comfortable. the bike is amazing, but dont try to scrape. when i do it, i bring it up to a respectible lean angle and continue... dont like hurting my baby, but she rides so well.

enjoy it, and take it slow...no reason to hurt yourself or your bike

·
Registered
300 Posts
safe riding

go to www.msgroup.com there is every thing there on turning/braking/and staying alive on 2 wheels check it out and

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Take an advanced riding course. :dontknow:
Do they have that in Malaysia?

Go to a big open parking lot and practice circles and figure 8's

Mostly this will improve your confidence with the bike's ability to take a tight corner.

Before you know it, you will have stubs for feelers like the rest of us.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I just put my foot out towards the end of the peg and hang my heel down. By dragging my heels, I know where the road is and how far I can lean before I get myself into trouble. It takes a bit of getting used to, dragging your feet while riding, but I'm used to it now. And, as mentioned above, finding a large vacant parking lot is good for practicing your cornering.

-Josh

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot guys! Thanks GeorgiaRoller and riverrunner for the links. Lots of reading and learning what to do. Some tips are already done subconciously and it makes it more fun reading and thinking ' I was trying to do that'. But of course it was done unitentionally because it was just like a trail and error sort of thing. Now, with those correct tutorial I can practice and practice with confidence.:bigthumbsup:

SquareRounder, I am not sure if they have the advance riding course here but we do need to be tested to obtain a license to ride bikes. 5 to 250cc for a type of license and 251cc and above another type of test. figure 8, braking and road safety hand signals are part of the test.

Once again thanks a lot guys for the informative links.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
And BTW, the reason I am asking for the pointers to ride a curve is because I always make it a point to be really safe when entering a curve. take my time and I thought because of the weight of the 9 I might not be able to control it should anything bad happen. I always stick to my lane during the curve and most of the time there are cars that will overtake me on the lane next to me. And quite a lot of time they will turn right into the lane i was in after overtaking me. I can always see them coming in the mirror and I always make sure that I am not in their way.

Yesterday, the same thing happened. I saw this car in the mirror coming on the right lane while I was in the left lane(We are driving in the left here). When it approaches me I felt that the car was too near me and I even moved further left of my lane. To my surprise the car cut right in front of me the very instance it overtook me. Luckily I was all ready for that because of my defensive riding. Brakes a little to avoid the car. Chased the car while the road straighten into the Highway and to my surprise it was a Lady driver. Gave her the finger and it seems she wasn't even sure what the fuss was about. Or she just pretended to be ignorant. Saaaaaaad!

Now I thought that if I could throw corners better, I will not have to face all this craps from the cagers! Cheers!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
And BTW, the reason I am asking for the pointers to ride a curve is because I always make it a point to be really safe when entering a curve. take my time and I thought because of the weight of the 9 I might not be able to control it should anything bad happen. I always stick to my lane during the curve and most of the time there are cars that will overtake me on the lane next to me. And quite a lot of time they will turn right into the lane i was in after overtaking me. I can always see them coming in the mirror and I always make sure that I am not in their way.

Now I thought that if I could throw corners better, I will not have to face all this craps from the cagers! Cheers!!
The weight of the bike should not be an issue while leaning unless:

1) You are riding too slow
2) You down-shift while leaning
3) You pull in the clutch, rev the RPM, and let go of clutch
4) You apply the front break
5) You lean too far

I was taught in my MC safety course was to imagine a curved line, I'm going to follow before the I reach the turn. During this time, I'm adjusting my speed and lane position. I always do a big head-turn and look where I want to go, not where I'm riding (which is right in front of me). With a big head turn, you'll find you'll be able to turn sharper and safer. With more time in the saddle you'll feel more comfortable doing this.

As several suggested, a great place to practice is in a parking lot. I have a lot of those "awesome" round-a-bouts here in my town, which really helped me get used to my 9 in turns. I also learned it's limitations too before hitting the open road.

Good luck and by all means be safe!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
hi parkerppaul,

No.1 not sure. Does doing 50mph in the curve a safe speed? I found that I am doing 40 to 60mph at most of the curves that I am used to.

No.2 actually did happened once to me. The tire was like dragged and skidded a little. But scared me a lot. :redfaced:

No.3 haven't happen to me yet.

No.4 happened when I was still new to my 9. I was riding a bit too fast and before i knew it I was almost in the middle of the curve. Had to brake rather too much and could sort of feel the front brakes/tire sort of like jumping.

N0.5 never happens as I am not skilled enough yet to have such encounter. Always on trying to be too cautious.

Thanks for the respond.

·
Registered
735 Posts
quality refresher material, for everyone/anyone but a professional racer/rider

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Advanced riding skills would include using a "little" front break during the turn to reduce the rake and add bite to the front tire. Too much and you are gone. (You'll swear someone bodyslammed you onto the pavement). Also, never use front break when you see even the least amount of sand or gravel. Again, this is advanced skills.
Look at the exit of the turn and you will go there. NEVER lean across the yellow line. Too many riders have paid the price for trying to dodge a Dodge in the middle of executing the turn because their face was in on-coming traffic. Pick a safe line that provides sufficient lean angle clearance.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
The thing I always remember is you go where you look. If there's a pothole in the curve and you look at it, you will hit it. Almost guaranteed. The same thing applies in cornering, look where you want to go, not where you are. Notice pro riders are always looking around the curve.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The thing I always remember is you go where you look. If there's a pothole in the curve and you look at it, you will hit it. Almost guaranteed. The same thing applies in cornering, look where you want to go, not where you are. Notice pro riders are always looking around the curve.
:p I was on my 9 couple of hours ago and I was actually doing that. When approaching a curve I looked further than I normally would and it seems that the cornering is much smoother and done more confidently than before.:bigthumbsup: Will need more practice.:p

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts