M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I've spent father's day working on the bike... had to chase down a problem with my LED's... fixed it... added some more... am 100% positive that it is not a problem with the new lights...

Here's the question... I keep blowing the 3 amp fuse... first thought is that I've got aground or a short somewhere... OK... but (shamelessly) I have the equivalent of 2 Joe Florida Big Cruiser Kits... Front fender rear fender, tank and all through the body, under the bike, along the rear cowl...I have A LOT of lights...

Might I need to go up to a 5 amp fuse? Would a 5 amp fuse hurt anything? Like I said... A LOT OF LIGHTS!!!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
So... I've spent father's day working on the bike... had to chase down a problem with my LED's... fixed it... added some more... am 100% positive that it is not a problem with the new lights...

Here's the question... I keep blowing the 3 amp fuse... first thought is that I've got aground or a short somewhere... OK... but (shamelessly) I have the equivalent of 2 Joe Florida Big Cruiser Kits... Front fender rear fender, tank and all through the body, under the bike, along the rear cowl...I have A LOT of lights...

Might I need to go up to a 5 amp fuse? Would a 5 amp fuse hurt anything? Like I said... A LOT OF LIGHTS!!!
I've been using 3amps in mine. The only time I've blown a fuse is when I accidentally ground one when I add new lights.

·
Registered
262 Posts
with exactly 300 lights you shoould be pullin 2.3 amps.....a 3 amp fuse should be more than plenty.....

you must have a short somewhere....

i could give you a way to find the short but most people dont want to do it.......go directly from the lights to the battery and do it quick. if there is a short IT WILL SMOKE!!!....this probably isnt the best way but it is the fastest sway to find it.

if everything works fine when you go directly to the battery then the ampoerage draw per lights is higher than normal and movin to a 5 amp should be fine...

·
Registered
278 Posts
I believe that LED's typically draw 4 - 7 mA (milliamps) each. This is very low compared to conventional automotive bulbs, which explains why you can leave them on for some time without running down the motorcycle battery.

A string, or combined strings of 200 LEDs should draw about 1.2 to 1.5 Amps (7 mA each x 200 LEDs = 1400mA total, divided by 1,000 = 1.4 Amps).

I'd install a 2 or 3 Amp fuse in this case. Don't install one too big, or an unexpected spike could destroy some, or all of the LEDs, before the fuse ever gets its chance to blow when called upon.

If your 3 Amp fuse is blowing constantly, then you might have a short circuit somewhere.

Re-check all connections carefully to ensure that two wires aren't accidentally touching. Check that your ground connection is tight too (LED's are very sensitive to this).

The short could be internal to one of the LED strings as well.

I had that happen to me on the type of LED strings where you're allowed to cut off 'segments of 3' at a time, in order to create a custom length. Despite taking care to cut the LED string at the right point, the action of the wire cutter apparently caused an 'internal' short circuit in the string. I don't cut segments off anymore to avoid the risk of internal short circuits.

To investigate an internal short, try to isolate the strings to find the specific one that has the problem.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've given up for he night....
went to wal mart as it is the only place open on a sunday at this tie...
paid $20 for a fuse kit that only had 2 mini 3 amp fuses...
blew the 1st one... (Bye bye $10) called it a night...
I'll work on chasing the short down... I've got a good idea where it is...
damn gas tank!!! I had to take it back off to put on the rubber pad it sits on... TWICE!!! all of THAT maneuvering is what I think caused something to go wrong...

So that will be the start of my investigative work when I have sunlight tomorrow after work... :edit::edit::edit:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I've given up for he night....
went to wal mart as it is the only place open on a sunday at this tie...
paid $20 for a fuse kit that only had 2 mini 3 amp fuses...
blew the 1st one... (Bye bye $10) called it a night...
I'll work on chasing the short down... I've got a good idea where it is...
damn gas tank!!! I had to take it back off to put on the rubber pad it sits on... TWICE!!! all of THAT maneuvering is what I think caused something to go wrong...

So that will be the start of my investigative work when I have sunlight tomorrow after work... :edit::edit::edit:
go to Radio Shack tomorrow and buy your 3amp fuses there. Thats where I get mine because I can't find 3ampers in the auto parts stores. I use the glass fuses

·
Registered
4,890 Posts

you should be just fine with the fuse you have. you're not running anywhere near the amount of led's i am running, and i have not had any issues with the amp fuse i have.

as far as trying to figure out the draw from the led's, you have to be sure that you have the math right. each different style of led draws a different amount from the battery. for example, stingerz style led's draw more than the roachez style. pods draw differently from flexible strips, etc.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your help...

I got them working again... found the issue... a wire under the Speedo got pinched in the screw that holds it on to tank... fixed it... and did a shake down ride to make sure I had everything good and tight before heading to the meet...

At least the lights waited until I got home ... TO BLOW AGAIN!!!

I say forget it... it's not like I can ride with them on in VA anyway...

I'll trace it down when I get back.

·
Registered
168 Posts
same problem

I have the same problem with the same kit. I have the multi colored with about 200 lights. I have not had time to check and see if a line is pinched yet. My issue is that it keeps draining my battery. I have the kit hooked up to the dlp power distribution box ( the one with the relay). Do the lights and relay draw power when the bike is off????????? I added a switch to the plate to shut it off for now when I am not riding, but with this I have not but off enough confidence to leave lights on when bike is off......This suxs!!!!!!!! Any advice on maybe a different wiring technique. Also is it ok to ground the plate, lights to the same ground point?????:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have 30 strips of lights on my bike. I thinks I am close to 400 now and I am using a 3 amp fuse. Make sure you are not hooked up to the battery while trying to install them you will blow a fuse. I did it a couple of time not thinking.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have 30 strips of lights on my bike. I thinks I am close to 400 now and I am using a 3 amp fuse. Make sure you are not hooked up to the battery while trying to install them you will blow a fuse. I did it a couple of time not thinking.
No... it is disconnected when I install or change them... and I do it in sections... or banks... rear lights... front lights, sides... etc... and that way I can chase down problems...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts