M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the turn signals. They each came with a white and red wire. I spliced in the factory connectors from the old turn signals, did the two black wires to the one led black wire and the green wire to the red led wire. They work as running lights but now my blinkers don't work. Rears don't blink either? I found the wiring diagram in the "how to" section but have no idea how to read it. If someone can explain using colored wires how to wire it that would be great. Also if you could include how and where to install the resisitors to slow the blinking rate that happends when installing LEDs.

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm not sure on turn led turn signals but I think they have to have a high and a low level of intensity to give the blinking effect. Someone with more info on that will have to chime in. On the original bulb turn signals you have a bulb with two elements. One is the running lights that stay on all the time and the blinkers are the other element that comes on and of to give the brighter and dimmer effect of a turn signal. If your leds dont have a low and high level then you wont get the effect. There is probably a circuit somewhere that will cut of the power to a single element ( led level ) and cause the blinker effect to work but I don't know anything about that.

Then you may ask why did you post?

Well, I'm hoping someone that knows what the real asnswer is will post an better answer.

Mean time: ...

Bump::

:super:

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
As far as the resisitors

The ones I used said to install them at the rear turn signals. I just mounted them under the rear fender cover piece.I was going to install new front LED blinkers and saw the stockers had the 3 wire setup, so i declined installing them and left the stockers.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Bad videography but I hope it helps.

I used two sets of amber 12 inch led lights from Autozone.
One on each side of the forks for running lights and
two across the base of my windshield as turn signals.
They are really bright at night. I will reinstall the running lights on the forks some other way, I dont like how they look now.

On the fender I installed a set of amber lights for turn signals and two sets of red leds next to the brake light. One set as running lights that stay on all the time and a second set next to them as brake lights to help make me stand out when I brake.

I was using resisters to slow down the blinking rate but took them off. I like the faster rate, it draws more attention I think. More of a sense of urgency. I think people look at the lights a bit longer when they flash faster, especially at night.

Hers a couple of videos to show how they look. Work in progress.

·
Registered
29 Posts
@gibsonsg: you get the blinkers to work? If not I can send pixs of my setup. I used LED strips for both the front and rear blinkers. Install is pretty easy on both!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts