M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed 2 LED turn signals from Auto Zone to replace the factory front turn signals:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac.../N-25pw?counter=34&itemIdentifier=201875_0_0_

They're hooked up just fine...they stay on when in a "non-turning" mode and flash when the blinker button thingy is pressed. However, the problem I'm having is that the turn light indicators on the tach/multi-function display stay on the whole time. :dontknow:

The LED kit has only two wires, thus the grounding wire from the original factory light was left unconnected. I ran a direct line to the negative terminal on the battery...and still the indicator lights stay on. Any thoughts on how to fix this?!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Just installed 2 LED turn signals from Auto Zone to replace the factory front turn signals:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac.../N-25pw?counter=34&itemIdentifier=201875_0_0_

They're hooked up just fine...they stay on when in a "non-turning" mode and flash when the blinker button thingy is pressed. However, the problem I'm having is that the turn light indicators on the tach/multi-function display stay on the whole time. :dontknow:

The LED kit has only two wires, thus the grounding wire from the original factory light was left unconnected. I ran a direct line to the negative terminal on the battery...and still the indicator lights stay on. Any thoughts on how to fix this?!
might b dumb question but did u hook up 2 the runnin wire???:dontknow:

·
Registered
423 Posts
might b dumb question but did u hook up 2 the runnin wire???:dontknow:
I don y think thats a dumb question I think its the right question

·
Registered
2,423 Posts

I think you just made extra work for yourself by running a ground wire all the way back to the battery, you could've very well used the factory ground wire, the other two wires run the running lights and the turn signals:dontknow: just figure out which is the wire for the turn and you're set, but you won't be using the running lights.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I tried reversing the wires but only to have the light not turn on. Basically...It appears that there's only one setup that will get the blinker to blink. I'm no electrician...but could it possibly be that I'm using a 12v LED light on a 6.5V circuit (I measured the output of the turn signal power's main lead)?

After riding the 109 last night it appeared that the turn signal indicators on the dash are only partially light and turn full brightness when the blinkers are blinking.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: Turns out, replacing the front LED turn signals with the ones from Autozone removes the natural resistance found in the stock filament bulbs. Thus, apparently it will cause the turn signal lights to stay on.

Solution: Went to radio shack and bought a 330-Ohm resistor pack. Installed the resistor along the power lead line and now it's back to normal!

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Update: Turns out, replacing the front LED turn signals with the ones from Autozone removes the natural resistance found in the stock filament bulbs. Thus, apparently it will cause the turn signal lights to stay on.

Solution: Went to radio shack and bought a 330-Ohm resistor pack. Installed the resistor along the power lead line and now it's back to normal!
Yup that's the fix or they blink real fast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts