M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys,

I know this has been run in the ground but I would like to ask it anyway. I have been modding my bike and this weekend I am going to debeaver it. I have bought 2 small rear amber LED lights that have the 3 wires for turn and marker lighting. When I install these lights they are going to blink faster than the old, right? I have heard that it is ok and actually makes the bike more visible. Is this ok and will the lights blink the same speed or different from the front being that I wanted to do the back first and the front will stay original for now? Last part of the 3 part question. If there is going to be an issue like burning up the LEDs do to fast blinking do they make an easy inline relay that will slow the blinkers down or do I have to buy one of the load equilizers? I have seen some installs of them but I have read so many forums that you can buy 3 wire, 4 wire, front, back , both etc.....I am not a mechanic nor am I an electrician so I need short, sweet and easy. By the way " YOU GUYS KICK ARS.....THE MODS ROCK AND THE HOW TO SECTION IS LIKE THE HOLY GRAIL". I have turned into a mod junky and it keeps me thinking out of the box. Thanks to all.......

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
Guys,

I know this has been run in the ground but I would like to ask it anyway. I have been modding my bike and this weekend I am going to debeaver it. I have bought 2 small rear amber LED lights that have the 3 wires for turn and marker lighting. 1. When I install these lights they are going to blink faster than the old, right? I have heard that it is ok and actually makes the bike more visible. Is this ok and will the lights blink the same speed or different from the front being that I wanted to do the back first and the front will stay original for now? Last part of the 3 part question. If there is going to be an issue like burning up the LEDs do to fast blinking do they make an easy inline relay that will slow the blinkers down or do I have to buy one of the load equilizers? I have seen some installs of them but I have read so many forums that you can buy 3 wire, 4 wire, front, back , both etc.....I am not a mechanic nor am I an electrician so I need short, sweet and easy. By the way " YOU GUYS KICK ARS.....THE MODS ROCK AND THE HOW TO SECTION IS LIKE THE HOLY GRAIL". I have turned into a mod junky and it keeps me thinking out of the box. Thanks to all.......
1. They will blink faster, but the rear signals are only used as a signal light, not a marker light. I do believe that your front ones will stay at the same flash rate. And it does not hurt anything having them blink fast. But someone else should confirm that.

Yes you can install a relay instead of load equalizers.

I thought Hink had this covered in this thread. http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126079

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I just put rear led blinkers and they all blinked fast, I didnt like that so I installed a 3 ohm resistor on each side at the back, Where they recommended, and everything works fine. I didn't do the fronts. Didn't want to give up running lights.

·
Registered
264 Posts
:agree: And Redbullsishi beat me to it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I have never looked at the back lights to see if they are marker as well as turn. shat, I got these LEDs because they had marker ability. Well maybe I will turn them into the front and put flexi stip LEDs in the rear. Damn I actually feel like a newb. Can someone flash me a link to the inline thing to slow the blink rate. I have found the equilizers but I think I would like to just put the inline on each side. Thanks again guys......this site is top notch. I will post some pics of the debeaver.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
You can use them as marker lights on the rear if you want, just hook the marker wire up to the license plate light wire.

Adding LED's to either end makes all of them blink fast, since it's affecting the load on the flasher. And the relay controls the blink rate on all of them. Less load means faster blinking, which is why adding a resistor or load equalizer fixes the blink rate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts