M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to go ahead and do my engine accents. For you guys that have done it, which is better. The LED strips or individual pods and bulbs. The bikes I have seen in person with the strips it just seems to uniform and doesnt seem right. Plus you can usually see the strips in the reflectio if the chrome especially on top of the air cleaner. This could be in part a bad install. Seems with the individual pods and bulbs you would have a better chance of being able to hide the LED and just get the glow, which is what I am looking for. I'm sure the individuals will be a little harder of an install also. Lets here the opinion. Also, if you have used the individuals, how many would you recommend for the engine bay and where is a fairly inexpensive place to get them. I already have a controller and remote from my wheels so all i need is the lights not a kit.

Thanks in advance,
Rich

·
Registered
391 Posts
I used the pods for the engine accents and stingers which are the strips under the fenders the pod you can hide really nicely and alls you see is the light i think thats the way to go because you really shouldint see where the light is coming from but thats just my opinion. Alls i used was 4 pods for the engine and 1 pod for the front cowning and it looks perfect to me. Good Luck

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
sounds like you already have your mind set on going with the individuals. in my opinion, the flexible led strips are WAY better than pods. in order to get a decent look, the strips can all be placed in such a way so that they are hidden and tucked away. pods might be easier to conceal, but they don't compare to the glow that is given off by a strip. so they have their pros and cons, you just have to decide which is more important to you.

personally, i want a true wow effect, so just a few led's wouldn't do. some might think i have gone a bit over the top but to each his own. one thing is for sure, when done properly so that you get a strong even glow from front wheel to rear, there is no comparison.

·
Registered
384 Posts
sounds like you already have your mind set on going with the individuals. in my opinion, the flexible led strips are WAY better than pods. in order to get a decent look, the strips can all be placed in such a way so that they are hidden and tucked away. pods might be easier to conceal, but they don't compare to the glow that is given off by a strip. so they have their pros and cons, you just have to decide which is more important to you.

personally, i want a true wow effect, so just a few led's wouldn't do. some might think i have gone a bit over the top but to each his own. one thing is for sure, when done properly so that you get a strong even glow from front wheel to rear, there is no comparison.
I agree

·
Registered
217 Posts
Me personally i run strips (Stringerz), by customdynamics.com, the glow is frickin awesome!! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Dude!!! Just did mine up last night. The problem that I had with the strips is they are too big. The kit that I got had strips that were really thick. I used 8 of the pods, they work pretty well. I will get a pic on here soon. Advance Auto does have a kit that has some strips that are bendable, however the kit is 100 bucks. It has 4 strips and 4 pods. Good luck send me a PM if you have any questions, or if you need any help.

NavyDave:cop:

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
pick up some pods then stop by the shack grab a few individual leds and some out door phone wire sit down and go to work.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have the strips on most of the bike but have 4 pods for the engine compartment. The problem I'm having with the pods is they won't stick. They just keep falling off and I've used about every type of adhesive I can find. I also used individual lights under the chrome piece of the speedo. I plan on going with some strips for the engine compartment soon but will be getting the strips with the LED's on the edge instead of the middle.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
I have the strips on most of the bike but have 4 pods for the engine compartment. The problem I'm having with the pods is they won't stick. They just keep falling off and I've used about every type of adhesive I can find. I also used individual lights under the chrome piece of the speedo. I plan on going with some strips for the engine compartment soon but will be getting the strips with the LED's on the edge instead of the middle.
make sure you are using a 3M adhesive and promoter when installing. wipe the area clean with alcohol, then apply the promoter, then install the pod.

not all led's are the same quality and as a result not all have the quality 3M adhesive on them.

·
Registered
262 Posts
make sure you are using a 3M adhesive and promoter when installing. wipe the area clean with alcohol, then apply the promoter, then install the pod.

not all led's are the same quality and as a result not all have the quality 3M adhesive on them.
absolutly correct windy!!

the 3m promoter is the chit!! make sure you use gloves when using it cuz it takes days to come of your hands....dont ask how i know that....

I use a qtip to apply all mine...that stuff goes a long way!!

and there are a ton of different types of LEDs on the market....multi light pods, flat SMD strips, round top, flat top, full flex, SMDX strips, full flex flats, singles, 3mm, 5mm, 8mm....the list goes on....feel free to PM me and ask any questions!! Ive been doing LEDs on bikes for about 4 years now and have used every type of light out there and can give you pros and cons for just about all of them.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I want to go ahead and do my engine accents. For you guys that have done it, which is better. The LED strips or individual pods and bulbs. The bikes I have seen in person with the strips it just seems to uniform and doesnt seem right. Plus you can usually see the strips in the reflectio if the chrome especially on top of the air cleaner. This could be in part a bad install. Seems with the individual pods and bulbs you would have a better chance of being able to hide the LED and just get the glow, which is what I am looking for. I'm sure the individuals will be a little harder of an install also. Lets here the opinion. Also, if you have used the individuals, how many would you recommend for the engine bay and where is a fairly inexpensive place to get them. I already have a controller and remote from my wheels so all i need is the lights not a kit.

Thanks in advance,
Rich
Rich, check your PM's.

·
Registered
211 Posts
absolutly correct windy!!

the 3m promoter is the chit!! make sure you use gloves when using it cuz it takes days to come of your hands....dont ask how i know that....

I use a qtip to apply all mine...that stuff goes a long way!!

and there are a ton of different types of LEDs on the market....multi light pods, flat SMD strips, round top, flat top, full flex, SMDX strips, full flex flats, singles, 3mm, 5mm, 8mm....the list goes on....feel free to PM me and ask any questions!! Ive been doing LEDs on bikes for about 4 years now and have used every type of light out there and can give you pros and cons for just about all of them.
I used 3M Tape and promoter maybe I'll try a different spot. Once it's nice and hot if the heat shield touches them a little bit and they fall off.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I used 3M Tape and promoter maybe I'll try a different spot. Once it's nice and hot if the heat shield touches them a little bit and they fall off.
You could pull your tank off and trim up the heat shield a little bit. Just enuff to keep it out of the way for putting on lights.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts