M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys - First off, It's not an M109R-specific question, BUT... a more general bike electronics question.

I'm trying to supplement the regular incandescent turn signals on the front of my bike (not replace them). I have a basic knowledge of electrical components and what they do, but want to make sure I have this right before I go ripping into my bike. I know there's more than one way to skin the cat, and I know how to make this work with an SPDT relay, but the install is more complicated and the components are bigger - so I'm trying to see if I can do it with regular diodes...

So, Here's what I'm wanting to do:

Add LED's to the front of my bike that are running run/turn lights - i.e. run constant at 1/2 brightness, and flash in concert with the incandescent bulb, alternating between 1/2 and full brightness. BUT, I want the incandescent turn signal to function as normal, alternating on/off.

I'm thinking of doing the following to do so (sorry, it's kinda small):

Based on the description - and assuming I get the proper values for the components, etc. will it work like I want it to??

Thanks in advance for your help.
Timbo

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just off of the top of my head I would say no. Each LED requires 1.7 to 1.9 volts to fire. So your D6,D7,D8 and D9 all have let's say 1.8 volts so there is 1.8 X 4 so 7.2 volts lost on the diodes themselves. That only leaves approximatly 5 volts to run your normal incondecent bulb of a turn signal, let alone the other diode .7 volts and the voltage drop across the resistor you are using as a current limiter.

That is just a quick scan so don't just take my word for it, maybe mock it up or actually do the circuit analysis on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts