M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the right side fork seal is leaking but not the left. how soon should i get this fixed , and how hard is this? do i half to take apart the triple tree? thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
the right side fork seal is leaking but not the left. how soon should i get this fixed , and how hard is this? do i half to take apart the triple tree? thanks for any help.
I would get it fixed asap but that is me!!! I do not know how to do fix them maybe someone will chime in and help you out there but don`t wait to long you could cause more problems if you keep rideing

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,864 Posts
They sell a kit to clean the seal on the bike, which sometimes fixes them. Someone on here tried it and it worked, but I can't find the thread or the kit.

The kit had some lube in it and a thin piece of plastic. You lubed the plastic, slid it up under the seal, then moved it around the seal to clean out any dirt that may have gotten under it and caused it to leak. Someone on here also did it with a thin piece of plastic they had around.

I've also heard of adding a small amount of automatic transmission fluid to them to help seal leaks, but this would be a temporary fix if it works at all. The ATF just swells the seals.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Seapup is the resident Fork Expert. You might PM him. I remember reading a post about his oil method that really improved the front suspension.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Seal fix

My right side fork seal was seeping, so I ordered new seals. While I was waiting for the seals, I tried to clean it out. I saw an ad for a seal lip wiper that was just a "J" shaped piece of thin plastic, and I thought, I can make one of those. So I made one, and basically, you just work it in between the seal and chrome fork part, slide it all around 2-3 times, and pull it out to remove any grit. I added a few ounces of brake fluid to the top of the fork to swell the seal. I have my new seals to install, but it quit seeping completely for months now, so I'll leave it alone for now. I keep checking by wiping my finger around the seal/leg connection after every ride, but it comes away squeeky clean, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Changing the seal means buying some fork tools or having it done at a shop. Get a shop manual and read it, this is not a job you can just do with a socket set and a few wrenches. There a a few "you tube" how to's you can watch also. Ours is a cartridge type.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My right seal was leaking. Went down to my dealer. Notice I say Dealer, not stealer. He told me that sometimes over the winter from the bike sitting on the stand that whole time they will start to leak when first ridden. He told me to ride it home, about 20 miles, and clean it really good. Ride it all day and see if it is still leaking. No leak for 2 months now and no $. :clap2:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quit leaking!

My right seal was leaking. Went down to my dealer. Notice I say Dealer, not stealer. He told me that sometimes over the winter from the bike sitting on the stand that whole time they will start to leak when first ridden. He told me to ride it home, about 20 miles, and clean it really good. Ride it all day and see if it is still leaking. No leak for 2 months now and no $. :clap2:
It may be fine, but just a caution. When the fork oil all leaks out, it quits leaking! There are only a few ounces in the fork, so it depends on how much came out. It needs fork oil to prevent damage.
Usually, it's just some grit or part of a bug caught in the seal, maybe it worked it's way out.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
not a bad idea to check the sliders over for damage too. could be a rock or something dinged it and it can leave a sharp edge on the metal of the tube. it can be taken down with a wet stone knife type sharpening tool but if you have a ridge or edge there it will continue to leak even with new seals. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts