M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok...well my 07 109r ltd. with approx. 11000 miles, i started to smell coolant...bike did and was not running hot...coolant was leaking some where...removed all the plastics,tank..etc..and tighten all the hose clamps..filled with coolant and assembled the bike..after a few rides...smell the coolant again...noticed coolant running down the front of the engine.....wow...disassembled again...leaking from radiator cap....called around to several stealers and found one for $29.00...but would need to be ordered....why wait...went to Auto Zone and found that the original cap was releasing pressure at around 9-11kpsi..not good...so I bought a cap #7516...from Auto Zone..perfect fit..$6.99...kpsi was within spec with service manual...cleaned out my coolant tank and made sure their was no remaining sediment in the overflow lines...assembled the bike...perfect....

·
Registered
365 Posts
Well done mate good find :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well...i think the over floe tube had some restriction in it from sediment and with the cap pressure being out of spec with service manual....new cap...clean cooling system...means trouble free riding.......

·
Registered
22 Posts
So, here is something I wanted to share regarding this issue of "splash of coolant" on my bike. When I first bought my M109 one year ago nothing was ever happening regarding the coolant fluid leaking or splashing on the bike. A few months after I realized (looking at the clear feeding side bottle) that the level of the coolant fluid was at the line of the lowest point. I went to see a friend of mine who is a mechanic and asked him what was his thoughts to add more coolant to the bottle, he said: don`t do it. Didn`t say why ......So, I went to the autoparts, got me a coolant fluid container and added coolant to it myself, thinking that the mechanic was wrong and the bike was in a need of coolant. Ever since then the "splash" issues started. I only added fluid until the middle level between the "L=low" & the "F=full"...I didn`t added a whole lot The bike has done the splash so many times to the point that little by little she has been loosing the fluid to the point that now she is back down to "L" level again...to my surprise, now she hasn`t done the splash in a while....she is not running hot or temperature has increased at all....She is completely fine. I will continue to keep an eye on it in case she spit it out again but it could be that she needs to be on the "lowers" side to run clean. IDK!!

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,436 Posts
As long as you have some coolant in it, it's fine. It's an overflow reservoir primarily, and also something to add coolant when the coolant is changed. It is odd that it looses more coolant if it's kept full though. I usually keep mine between the marks.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
I keep mine pretty high as well. I've had numerous issues with the damn leaks over the years I've owned it. Last one, back in like 2018, was the T fitting under the left hand radiator shroud. It was dripping down the front onto the starter motor. Took the shrouds off, put new clamps on the T, and it's been good since. That was the last time I had to add fluid.

·
Registered
313 Posts
So, here is something I wanted to share regarding this issue of "splash of coolant" on my bike. When I first bought my M109 one year ago nothing was ever happening regarding the coolant fluid leaking or splashing on the bike. A few months after I realized (looking at the clear feeding side bottle) that the level of the coolant fluid was at the line of the lowest point. I went to see a friend of mine who is a mechanic and asked him what was his thoughts to add more coolant to the bottle, he said: don`t do it. Didn`t say why ......So, I went to the autoparts, got me a coolant fluid container and added coolant to it myself, thinking that the mechanic was wrong and the bike was in a need of coolant. Ever since then the "splash" issues started. I only added fluid until the middle level between the "L=low" & the "F=full"...I didn`t added a whole lot The bike has done the splash so many times to the point that little by little she has been loosing the fluid to the point that now she is back down to "L" level again...to my surprise, now she hasn`t done the splash in a while....she is not running hot or temperature has increased at all....She is completely fine. I will continue to keep an eye on it in case she spit it out again but it could be that she needs to be on the "lowers" side to run clean. IDK!!
I'd say your radiator cap needs to be replaced. The full level should still have enough room for heat expansion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I keep mine pretty high as well. I've had numerous issues with the damn leaks over the years I've owned it. Last one, back in like 2018, was the T fitting under the left hand radiator shroud. It was dripping down the front onto the starter motor. Took the shrouds off, put new clamps on the T, and it's been good since. That was the last time I had to add fluid.
Got you!...mine is not dripping at all, I don`t have a "leak" but thanks for your feedback. My issue is just the "splash" once in a while...like is she spit out the coolant from somewhere in the coolant/radiator system out of nothing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts