M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It feels kind of oily. The drop is a little bigger than a silver dollar. At first i thought is was oil but it wasn't under the lowest part of the motor. I reached in and found the wetness under the crankshaft in the front.
Any ideas?
Should I be worried?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Stock intakes or anything using the stock back half at least?

Clear, Kind of oily - perhaps you have some water in your intakes and have at least misted some oil puke that the water collected.

Try pulling the plug on the drain tube on the back side of your intakes and see if water drains out.

Next thought, coolant. What is your coolant mix? If you are running mostly water, that could be clear and kind of oily-ish.

Next thought - has your bike bet wet recently? if so, there are some spots water can sit for quite some time.

Less likely, but brake fluid? Location sounds wrong, but it is mostly clear-ish.

What does it smell like?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
these bikes are notorious for coolant leaks. check that before you panic. for some reason the left side is not tightened properly. and that is from the front to the back. blinker to blinker. jmho.
my current bike had 90 miles on it when i got it and the left front blinker bolt was already missing. the coolant hoses were all loose. do I need to go any farther?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stock intakes or anything using the stock back half at least?

Clear, Kind of oily - perhaps you have some water in your intakes and have at least misted some oil puke that the water collected.

Try pulling the plug on the drain tube on the back side of your intakes and see if water drains out.

Next thought, coolant. What is your coolant mix? If you are running mostly water, that could be clear and kind of oily-ish.

Next thought - has your bike bet wet recently? if so, there are some spots water can sit for quite some time.

Less likely, but brake fluid? Location sounds wrong, but it is mostly clear-ish.

What does it smell like?
Yep. Stock intakes. I washed my bike last weekend. That was over a hundred miles ago.
I had the 700 mile service 500 miles ago. If they over filled the oil would I still get oil puke now?
I don't know my coolant mix. I assume the dealer made it 50:50 per the service manual. It's a new bike and still under warrantee so I haven't learned yet how to work on it myself.
I put a paper towel under the bike so I can see if it leaks over night and if it does I'll check the smell.
The brake line is on the other side of the bike so I don't think it is that.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,090 Posts
Under the bike at the front there is a coolant overflow tube. If you look under the motor right behind the chrome lower radiator cover you can see it. See if it leaked from that. It could have been a little overfilled with coolant and maybe some just now decided to leak out. Radiator fluid on pavement or concrete will look clear, but on a paper towel or cloth it will look green.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Under the bike at the front there is a coolant overflow tube. If you look under the motor right behind the chrome lower radiator cover you can see it. See if it leaked from that. It could have been a little overfilled with coolant and maybe some just now decided to leak out. Radiator fluid on pavement or concrete will look clear, but on a paper towel or cloth it will look green.
I know the tube you are talking about. The spot is toward the back of the engine, in fact, right below the beginning of the crankshaft.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how about a pic of the spot? do you mean the beginning of the drive shaft?
yes the beginning of the drive shaft. It only happens right after i get off the bike. I pulled it in the garage last night and the floor was dry this morning. When I got off the bike today, another spot!

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
yes the beginning of the drive shaft. It only happens right after i get off the bike. I pulled it in the garage last night and the floor was dry this morning. When I got off the bike today, another spot!
Are you sure it's your bike? do you get REALLY excited riding your motorcycle? :joke:

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Ill bet its puking oil out of the air cleaner and dripping down. did you take off the air box and check. or just run your finger under the cover on the weep hole. If oily then she is puking.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,090 Posts
Reach behind or remove the rear chrome side cover and see if the oil is dripping from the rubber boot at the end of the drive shaft. It's not uncommon for the O-ring seal on the end of the secondary drive to start leaking. Mine oozes just a little but not enough to drip.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Reach behind or remove the rear chrome side cover and see if the oil is dripping from the rubber boot at the end of the drive shaft. It's not uncommon for the O-ring seal on the end of the secondary drive to start leaking. Mine oozes just a little but not enough to drip.
That's It !
So, should I be worried?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you sure it's your bike? do you get REALLY excited riding your motorcycle? :joke:
I'm on my wife's PS3 so I can't use the symbols. But I have to say that is FUNNY!
(BTW the stain would be much bigger!)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,090 Posts
That's It !
So, should I be worried?
You're losing engine oil, which isn't good, but other than that it doesn't hurt it. I'd keep an eye on the oil level and fix it or get it fixed when you can. Mine has oozed for at least the last two years but not enough to drip, just enough to get the wires near it messy.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You're losing engine oil, which isn't good, but other than that it doesn't hurt it. I'd keep an eye on the oil level and fix it or get it fixed when you can. Mine has oozed for at least the last two years but not enough to drip, just enough to get the wires near it messy.
Thanks !
I put it in the shop. Get it back Friday.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts