M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i've got her torn apart to start the paint adventure so i'm trying to get all kinds of stuff done while she's un-rideable(plus there's snow and ice moving in as we speak). Anyhow, with my carbon fiber and all black fetish, i thought why not combine the two? Wanted to black out the forks so i bought a 12"x48" sheet of .015 carbon weave off of ebay. A few geometry problems later, to try to figure out the correct length to cut the wraps etc., and I'm done. Also soon to come are the black powdercoated wheels and paint job of course, which you can see some hints of in the fender where i sketched out a design. If anybody wants instructions on how to do the wrap let me know, i can post the progress pics. Total cost about $60 and 2 or 3 hrs. Here's the pics:

·
Registered
476 Posts
That looks real nice, please post the how too do. What did you bond the wrap with, thickness of the wrap etc etc. :bigthumbsup:

G

·
That rocks, I may have to do that with a set of black ceramic pipes. Then I can call the beast black and blue.

Please post how to.

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's put on with the 3M emblem tape. Same stuff that is used to hold the boulevard logos on. You have to place it strategically to compensate for the taper of the forks. These things are different sizes all the way up and down! I can now appreciate all the work that goes into Big Joe's fat fork covers. The cool thing for you owners of other colors is that you can get red, blue, silver and maybe white (I'll have to check) carbon fiber and do the same thing to match your bikes.

I'll post the how to pics later .Looks like I'll be home all day tomorrow. They're now saying that this could be a record blizzard for Tulsa. One forecaster is saying up to 18" of snow! That's like a disaster for here. most i can remember ever was 12" and everything was shut down for a week.

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here's the howzit done. Didn't take the pics till after i'd finished the lower forks, but you can see that the tape has to be placed in the thinner spots on the fork to build them all up to the same level. Used a fabric tape measure to measure the thickest part of each section and the thinnest. The lower fork has 2 layers of the double stick moulding tape, one on top of the other to make it the same thckness as the bottom part of the fork.

Just realized that this pic is upside down :redfaced: Turn your monitor over to see correctly :joke: the red is the mask cover on the tape. i used a single layer in both spots on the top fork tubes. The lowers have 2 layers as stated above.

after you get the carbon cut to the right size (i can send dimensions to people if you need em just drop a PM) you'll need a strip run down one side to secure the seam. the carbon is cut 1/2" bigger (the width of the tape) so that it can overlap.

remove the mask from the tape, duh!

carefully position without touching the tape, so that the seam will be in the least visible place. i pointed it towards the inside of the fork and a little towards the radiator. If it's cut right, it will barely fit between the upper and lower triple trees, thus keeping the piece straight as you wrap. Start with the end of the carbon that has the tape and slowly push down on tape while wrapping around. Stop about 3/4 of the way and peel the mask off of the overlap piece. continue wrapping till you get the overlap laid onto that tape strip. Should hold itself by now so let go and press down on the tape all the way again to burnish it to the tape.

I then put painters tape around it to hold it for an hour or so just to be sure it's stuck good. Last thing i did was to cut a piece of clear vinyl (used in the sign industry) about 1" wide and overlayed the seam just as a safety against dirt getting in there and building up.
there you have it!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
looks great. nice thinking outa the box!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I love that look.
just need to figure out some way of protecting the carbon for the elements or else it will start to fray. if they make a clear heat shrink that would be great.

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
these are hard resin coated. The only fraying that could've occurred is where is was cut and that is covered by the clear vinyl tape. No problem there. Once word of caution though, the fibers make for very painful splinters. Think of them like little piesces of hair that are stronger than steel.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
This based on experience I am guessing??  :eek:

How do you think it will hold up under washing??
Will the water penetrate to the forks? Or are they going to be pretty much water proof?

And... how about bug guts? How hard do you think they will be to keep clean?

They look very nice, keep up the good work!  :bigthumbsup:
:doorag:

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
should hold up okay. To be honest, i've only washed the bike with water once, since i bought it. i use eagle one nano spray and a soft cloth which removes all bugs and everything. Usually wipe down after every ride and so far have avoided riding in the rain. Don't think it would cause any problems. the lower fork cover is the only one that would ever have a chance of water getting under it, but the double layer of the molding tape would keep it from getting very far under there.

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yep, same guy too. I'll warn you he is slow to ship and won't return any e-mails. I couldn't get any info out of him after 4 emails and he finally sent me the tracking info. There are other places on the web to buy it but they cost more too. Similar piece from other companies is in the $50 to $60 range

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
nice job. you beat me to it but I have had the idea for some time. I may use the stuff like the dirt bike crowd uses with the adhesive built in so all you do is measure, cut, peel and stick. looks good. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts