M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife and I, along with my brother and his wife are doing the Lake Superior circle tour this week. We're in Duluth, Mn tonight to start the ride. Looking forward to a great trip. Will post some pics when I can.

***EDIT**** See post 13 for the promised pictures!!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Have a great time. I lived in Two Harbors for 6yrs but only made it up and down the north shore a few times with my old wing. Expect some rain. If I remember correctly it seems to rain every other day up there :doorag:

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
Should be great trip..!!Let us know what shape the roads are in,would like to head that way later this summer..How long is your ride?:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have a great time. I lived in Two Harbors for 6yrs but only made it up and down the north shore a few times with my old wing. Expect some rain. If I remember correctly it seems to rain every other day up there :doorag:
Purchased new raingear just for this trip. Figure on rain for sure at some point. Made it a whopping 5 miles from the house before the first shower!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should be great trip..!!Let us know what shape the roads are in,would like to head that way later this summer..How long is your ride?:bigthumbsup:
Will let you know how the roads are.
We're planning 5 days. Planning on taking in all the attractions. Planning around 300 miles per day, not rushing things.
Will be in Copper Harbor MI tomorrow night, Sault St. Marie MI Tuesday night, Marathon, ON Wed night and Grand Marais MN on Thursday night. Home on Friday.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Can't wait to see some pictures. I kinda miss the north shore. Been down here in AZ for 5yrs now. I even miss the winter fun we used to have.

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
Drove the north shore once way back in late winter 1989,caught a springlike day,sunny with dry clean roads....What a drive..there were ice formations all along the shore...huge massive shapes of all sizes,glistening in the sun...it was an awesome site,still ingrained in my mind....good thing, i never had a camera:doh: anyways always wanted to go back and see what it was like in the summer...now that i have my 9,would like to do the ride....Hopefully this fall..:bigthumbsup:Have a great trip!!!!:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
Cool! Would like to see your pics. I was just asking about this on another thread.
http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130131

But WI, MN & Canadian pics of lake Superior are all excepted! ;)

How were the black flies & mosquitos?

They should be able to outrun the mozies on there 9s,but the black flies,not so sure,they are like stealth bombers....a bounce dryer sheet under your neck collar helps for the black flies...and you and the missy will be nice and fresh when you bunker down for the night :joke:

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool! Would like to see your pics. I was just asking about this on another thread.
http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130131

But WI, MN & Canadian pics of lake Superior are all excepted! ;)

How were the black flies & mosquitos?

-
Just back yesterday, in the process of downloading the pics now.

No black flies or Mosquitos on this trip, it was cold and raining for at least half the time and they are smart enough to get out of the rain, unlike ME.

Have some good pics that I was able to take when it wasn't raining, downloads to follow.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Just back yesterday, in the process of downloading the pics now.

No black flies or Mosquitos on this trip, it was cold and raining for at least half the time and they are smart enough to get out of the rain, unlike ME.

Have some good pics that I was able to take when it wasn't raining, downloads to follow.
Sounds good. Look forward to your pics. Doing a 2-day mountain bike ride tomorrow. High of 96-98 degrees. I'll be looking forward to the cooler air above 4000' elev.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are some pics from the trip. 1629.1 miles. We left Bloomington MN on Sunday and took a quick ride (2 1/2 hours) to Duluth where we met my brother and his wife.

Day 1 Duluth MN to Copper Harbor MI

Saw a lot of fog in Wisconsin. It lifted long enough to take a pic. No other pics from Wisconsin. Fog and rain the whole way across.

We got to Ironwood MI and the fog and rain went away. We had a nice ride up to Copper Harbor from there. We found a road along the water between Houghton MI and Copper Harbor that was AWESOME! Rolling hills and corners. Speed limit was 55 but there was NO way to keep it up (at least in "tour" outfit).

Here's the view from our room in Copper Harbor. Cool little town.

Day 2 Copper Harbor to Sault Ste. Marie MI. We got up in the morning to a little rain. We started out and then it started to pour. We had pouring rain all the way across Michigan. No pics. Basically we missed the entire South Shore of the lake.
When we arrived in Sault Ste. Marie it stopped raining long enough to tour the locks. We met a guy there that was getting on the ship pictured below to intern for the summer. The ship was on the way to Duluth, MN. We did end up seeing the ship as we rode through Duluth on Friday.

Day 3. Sault Ste. Marie MI to Marathon ON. We woke up on Wednesday morning to, you guessed it, RAIN. We waited it out for as long as we could and headed out. It was just drizzling as we left and crossed the border. Once we were out of town and heading up the east coast of the lake, it opened up and rained like crazy. You know, the kind of rain that HURTS when it hits. Oh yeah, that bad. Two hours of that and then all of a sudden the skys opened up.

Nice to be out of rain gear for a while!

We arrived in Wawa ON, about half way to our destination of Marathon ON to beautiful sun and 70 degrees. Let me tell you, it was nice after two days of rain.

From Wawa to Marathon was a bunch of hills and corners. Not much for view of the lake though. Very beautiful area though.
Day 4 Marathon ON to Grand Marais MI. We left Marathon to Fog and Rain. Notice the theme here?? Two hour in the fog and we were back to sun.
This is about half way to Thunder Bay from Marathon.

My wife and I overlooking Thunder Bay. Sleeping Giant in the background.

Back to MN!!

View from our room in Grand Marais MN

Day 5 Grand Marais MN to Bloomington MN.
Back home to Bloomington. 1629.1 miles start to finish.

It was a great ride even with the rain. For the most part the roads were good with just a few construction areas. For the money, I believe that the east coast of Lake Superior was the most beautiful with Copper Harbor, MI being the coolest little town. Best road was Hwy 41 that runs between Copper Harbor MI and Houghton MI. I will run this road in my sleep for years to come. The trees overhung the road and it was twist and turn and up and down for 37 miles. No pics because it was raining!

Hope you enjoyed the pics. We had a great time and I highly recommend taking the tour at least once.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Great pics, Rich; Thanks for sharing:bigthumbsup:. Despite of all the rain you said you had during your trip, I seems like you had a wonderful time.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great pics, Rich; Thanks for sharing:bigthumbsup:. Despite of all the rain you said you had during your trip, I seems like you had a wonderful time.
Hard to believe, but despite all the rain we all had a good time. Can't imagine how much fun it would have been if the weather was nice! From what I hear, the weather is the biggest issue that most have taking that ride. Thankfully we were ready for it, new raingear all around.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Those are great pics. Even with all the nasty weather around the Great Lakes it still is something that I would really like to do sometime. Thanks for the story. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Thank's for sharing. Great Pic's :doorag: Got to be careful not to be stuck for more than a day or two in the U.P. They can make the best M.N. partiers look like tea-totalers.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks for all your comments guys. I know that I enjoy seeing pictures from people taking rides that I'd someday like to take, so I'm just doing my part to share one that I got to. :bigthumbsup:

Happy to report that after today I've got my bike looking good again. It took many, many hours of detailing. All the touring stuff is back off and it's back to the Muscle Cruiser that I started with. Glad that I have all the touring stuff to use when I need but stripped is certainly more beautiful.

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
circle tour

Glad you had a good trip despite the weather...Some very nice scenery...will have to put hi-way 41 on my must drive list ...Good to hear your new raingear did its job,and you all made it home safe:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts