M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys..... a bunch of us from Nova Scotia are considering going to Laconia Bike Week in NH. This is the first time I have made such a large trip on a bike let alone my M109. It is aprox. an 8 hour ride to get there.

I'm looking for suggestions on things I should bring that are a must. Of course baggage will be the issue. I am going to have to find a way to put my luggage on the passenger seat. Does anyone have any ideas for that? I was thinking about using a small cargo net and bungee cords... is that possible???
Like I said this is new to me and any helpful suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks All

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Well, if you want my honest opinion....

buy a luggage rack. I got mine for $330 which included the mount, the rack, and backrest. All chrome and solid as a rock. Get a nice River Road bag for $100 and you're good to go!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
BRING RAIN GEAR !!!!! It is Laconia. There are a bunch of guys that strap bags to their rear seats on here. Not that hard to manage. Andydude and his wife will be there as well as myself. We'll have to get together for a 9 ride at some point. I'm sure the New England guys will be in for that. We'll check in as it gets closer, only 2 months away now.

·
Registered
508 Posts
We should be able to hook up once overthere as Woody said, which day are you leaving from N.S.?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. It's looking like we may be leaving on the 16th ( it is later in the week but the best some of the guys can do). We will definitely have rain gear.

Does anyone have a pic on how to strap a bag to the back seats safely?

I would love to arrange to meet up with you guys.... sounds awesome. Still have lots of time to plan. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Too bad they cancelled the ferry crossings, would of been just a nice ride for you once overthere. Was quite expensive though !

·
Registered
455 Posts
RAIN GEAR, RAIN GEAR & RAIN GEAR.

Also, something warm to where because the temperature can fluctuate from low 40's in the morning than warms up by noon.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
RAIN GEAR, RAIN GEAR & RAIN GEAR.

Also, something warm to where because the temperature can fluctuate from low 40's in the morning than warms up by noon.
:agree: To all of the above!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
why don't you consider shipping some of your gear to the hotel and then back home when you leave.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I'll be up there on the 17th until the 20th, weather permitting. I think KBear will be around for a couple days too.

I always bring an extra pair of riding gloves( I hate wet gloves) and some spare socks. A can of Honda Pro Polish and a soft towel (there's thousands of bikes on display- ya want to look good!). :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Hey guys..... a bunch of us from Nova Scotia are considering going to Laconia Bike Week in NH. This is the first time I have made such a large trip on a bike let alone my M109. It is aprox. an 8 hour ride to get there.

I'm looking for suggestions on things I should bring that are a must. Of course baggage will be the issue. I am going to have to find a way to put my luggage on the passenger seat. Does anyone have any ideas for that? I was thinking about using a small cargo net and bungee cords... is that possible???
Like I said this is new to me and any helpful suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks All
I've been using an old tank bag (fairly large one) cargo netted and bungeed to the passenger seat, in addition to my saddlebags. Doing it for years now with no problems...took the same setup to Laconia 2 years ago.

If you don't have wet weather gear, get some...it likes to rain up in that area.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
:agree: listen to us new england guys IT ALWAYS RAINS.I have not meet anyone how has not been in the rain in laconia.I use a small cargo net an strap a bag to back of bike and a large tank bag.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks for the answers guys.... I have heard a lot about the rain thing ....so I know to bring the rain gear.

Too bad they cancelled the ferry crossings, would of been just a nice ride for you once overthere. Was quite expensive though !
I know .... would have been a shorter ride... but at least now we can see more of the States.

why don't you consider shipping some of your gear to the hotel and then back home when you leave.
That is interesting but can't see that working...

I've been using an old tank bag (fairly large one) cargo netted and bungeed to the passenger seat, in addition to my saddlebags. Doing it for years now with no problems...took the same setup to Laconia 2 years ago.
I honestly would like to see a pic of that.... I have never done a trip like this I don't know how to do this. A member had suggested a luggage rack but I don't know how much I would use it yet... never travelled this far... would it be worth the money?( first trip).

I'll be up there on the 17th until the 20th, weather permitting. I think KBear will be around for a couple days too.
If we go I would love to meet up with you guys !:bigthumbsup:

Thanks for any info...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I took the Laconia week off so I definitely will be there and so is others riders from our group as you can see, It rains almost every year so be prepared also the luggage thing I use a tail bag from Cortech bungeed to the rear cowl.
Remove the bag and you dont have to see that ugly back seat!:evil:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Laconia

There are 8 of us leaving to go up on the 12th or 13th, we all took the week off , so should be a good time. Leaving from Kentville N.S

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I took the Laconia week off so I definitely will be there and so is others riders from our group as you can see, It rains almost every year so be prepared also the luggage thing I use a tail bag from Cortech bungeed to the rear cowl.
Remove the bag and you dont have to see that ugly back seat!:evil:
I would love to see that Tobrak if you have a pic... i would love to NOT use the rear seat if I could... but i don't want to scratch the cowl up either....

There are 8 of us leaving to go up on the 12th or 13th, we all took the week off , so should be a good time. Leaving from Kentville N.S
Hey ns109... are you gonna take the ferry to St. John or go around?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts