M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:verymad: :verymad: Couldn't get these to work on my bike. I tried another set of l.e.d's I had laying around and they worked without any problems, but when I plug these l.e.d's in I keep blowing fuses. Please someone tell me what I need to get this right.

No night time riding until this is fixed. :cop:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Ok, on the same wires where the "other" set works hook up just one of the new lights.
Note whether it works or not. Then move it to the other mounting position and note whether or not it works there
Now do the same with the second of the new lights.
NORMALLY this will help you find where the issue is. IF both lights did not work in the same place (that wiring is bad)
If instead one of the lights did not work in both places (it is bad) If it is the light, try a new LED bulb, If it is the wiring
try the older lights in the place where both new lights failed. IF it also does not work get out a manual and get crackin...

IF by some wacky chance the older light actually works on the same wires where both new ones did not...
It is possble you have actual gremlins in your bike and you should hope that someone who cares sends you a ride Bell
to hang on your bike real soon :D :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sledzep01 said:
Ok, on the same wires where the "other" set works hook up just one of the new lights.
Note whether it works or not. Then move it to the other mounting position and note whether or not it works there
Now do the same with the second of the new lights.
NORMALLY this will help you find where the issue is. IF both lights did not work in the same place (that wiring is bad)
If instead one of the lights did not work in both places (it is bad) If it is the light, try a new LED bulb, If it is the wiring
try the older lights in the place where both new lights failed. IF it also does not work get out a manual and get crackin...

IF by some wacky chance the older light actually works on the same wires where both new ones did not...
It is possble you have actual gremlins in your bike and you should hope that someone who cares sends you a ride Bell
to hang on your bike real soon :D :D
I think I might have a gremlin problem... when I use the current wiring set up with the old LED's they work fine. And when I run a direct connection to my battery the new ones work fine. But when I use the new LED's on on the current wiring set up they will come on for a millisecond, and then blow a fuse. I was however thinking of tapping into the taillight power line which is on a different fuse. Any reason why I shouldn't do this?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I dont know too much about LED's directly... but is it possible they wired it backwards?
can anyone say whether this could have an effect? If it shouldnt then trrying this wont hurt.

BAM just hought of something. Do the lights state how they are grounded? Some (I read this while shopping for new lights) are grounded
through their actual housing. If so mounting them on a plastic fender could pose a problem

Trying the other circuit?? hmmm, is the fuse rated higher? I doubt the first could be too low for LED's... you may just blow a different fuse this time.

Sledzep

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot to update, but I figured out what the problem was. Turns out there is a short in one of the bolts, and when it is grounded to the bike it blows a fuse. So I insulated the one in rubber so it had no contact with the frame and all is good. What I need to do is contact Hal or Lamonster and see if I can switch them out with a new set, but don't want to go through the hassle of shipping back and forth. Stupid question, but anyone else think it's a bad idea to leave it like this?? I'm just glad Suzuki put the headlight and taillight on a different fuse.

·
Registered
164 Posts
OhioM109R said:
I forgot to update, but I figured out what the problem was. Turns out there is a short in one of the bolts, and when it is grounded to the bike it blows a fuse. So I insulated the one in rubber so it had no contact with the frame and all is good. What I need to do is contact Hal or Lamonster and see if I can switch them out with a new set, but don't want to go through the hassle of shipping back and forth. Stupid question, but anyone else think it's a bad idea to leave it like this?? I'm just glad Suzuki put the headlight and taillight on a different fuse.
Yes, it's a very bad idea. You are masking the problem and shouldn't have to do this. It sounds like you are wired incorrectly and shorting the 12V to ground. It seems you already verified the lights work OK when you put 12V to them so I don't think a new set will help you.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For a fact there is a short inside the light housing. If it were wired backwards it wouldn't work at all, so I guess I will just order another set and call it done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts