1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

So I installed these:

http://directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=5121&str=290

They look great. However, I am having some problems. It seems that when I am signaling left, my right signal also blinks about every 3rd or 4th time the left one does. This problem seems to be agrivated when I am engaging the brake light.

I've checked everything. All looks well. I took it to the dealer to get a fresh set of eye...all looks well. We called Kuryakyn, they said this is the 20th call this week they have fielded relative to this matter. They said they "do not recommend their LED's for the m109r at this time". They strongly "recommend halogen".

Has no one had this problem on this board but me? If so, how did you correct it? Or is everyone using a different LED than they Kuryakyn one's I am?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just a shot in the dark...so to say...but can it have something to do with resistance. The resistance of the LED is much lower than the bulb so the blinker may be confused. I was told that if I install LED blinker they would likely blink at a much higher rate than the bulbs, just as they do when a bulb blows.
:dontknow:

·
Registered
245 Posts
I installed mine last night with the load equilizer and it's doing the same thing.....but since mine's on the lift I didn't check the brake light.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I installed mine today WITHOUT the equalizer because I liked the faster blinking (I think, jury is still out) I watched mine several times but never while braking and never saw that issue come up. I DID see that their rate of blinking changes/skips every few seconds. Kind of like a hiccup.

I really like the color and brightness.

Sledzep

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
you do seem do get some cross over current with these or backed up current due to the low load characteristics. the best/cheapest/easiest way to fix this is with a heavy duty electronic flasher unit from Auto Zone for about 15 bucks. You will however need to know a little about the wiring of the stock flasher circuit and need the service manual. I know the stock flasher incorporates the side stand relay into it so I thought that would preclude the flasher change but someone on the board did the mod and just left the sidestand portion of the flasher/relay alone and used only the turn signal flasher wires to connect to the electronic flasher then piggy back it or wire tie it in the genral area.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I dont know if going Halogens will fix your problem because I am having similar issue with halogens on the front. I have mine as running lights and signals and the one on the left blinks periodically no matter what you are doing and when you are doing it. Wiring has been checked and resistor was changed so I figure it hasd something to do with the lights themselves. Was thinking of changing to LED but now I dont know what to do. You guys with electrical skills help us out.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
No problem with the sets I've installed. We use to have this problem on the C model VTX because the current was feeding through the idiot light. The fix was to add a diode to each side so it's couldn't bleed back.

·
Registered
400 Posts
OK.......HELP !!! I've read so many posts..........but don't seem to see the answer I need !

lights work wired like this......
leads from Show Chrome LED signals are RED and BLACK
leads from Signal Dynamics Equalizer are BLACK, VIOLET AND BROWN
leads from M109 are GREEN, BLACK AND BLACK w/WHITE

here's how I have them :

Right/Left side FRONT:
BLACK on 109 to BROWN {equalizer} and to BLACK on LED signal
GREEN on 109 to VIOLET {equalizer} and to RED on LED signal
BLACK w/WHITE on 109 to BLACK {equalizer}

REAR Right
GREEN on 109 to RED on LED Light
BLACK w/WHITE on 109 to BLACK on LED Light

REAR left
BLACK on 109 to RED on LED Light
BLACK w/WHITE on 109 to BLACK on LED Light

Everything tests out O.K. even EMERGENCY Signals. That equalizer got pretty HOT.....where is the best place to mount it {the equalizer}? ....and, do I have it wired OK or is this configuration gonna 'SHAKE AND BAKE' something.......

I'm missing out on probably the "last good weather day" of the year.......but I don't want to put everything back together.......UNTIL I know this is the last step of this.....mod

Thanks for all the help.....LaMonster, the pics where a great help and I tried to see where you had your {equalizer} mounted but couldn't see it. I'll post pics of what I have when someone says........."GOOD TO GO" !!!!Â

thanks for all the help......next is the 'side mount' plate.........more wiring !!

http://usera.imagecave.com/tino19625/LEDlights/

Frank

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Tino... the Load Equalizer should only heat up when your turn signals are on... with the running lights on and no blinker action, if it is hooked up right, the Load equalizer is not even in the circuit.

As far as mounting... I wire tied mine to the metal cage/frame inside the headlight Nacelle on the top left side. As your looking at the frame there is a bar that runs from where the front of the headlight would be towards the risers on the bike.

That is the bar I am referring to. (Sorry no pics, but I didnt take any when I did this, and don't really want to pull the Headlight Nacelle again if I dont have to)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Thanks JUtah,
That's the answer I was looking for...........I thought I had it wired up wrong! I'll mess around with it now until it's right.....I didn't think that it being HOT AS He** all the time, was right. I appreciate your time and I'll look at placing them where you did using wire ties.....I was saying to myself, "I can't tie these up.....they'll melt anything on them for a long period of time...even melt the double sticky back". Now, I'm glad I posted and just waited for a good answer...before I reassemled things for a second time!! So, Thank you so much for the reply and your time........and I'll let you know what the outcome is. I obviously have an issue with ground, positive...etc......ha ha ha.

talk soon,

Frank

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Frank, take a look at the directions for your signals... They should tell you which wire is what...

On the bike... the Green wires coming from the white connector are the running lights . There are 2 of these (Right and a left) and they only have the green wire, nothing else. In the photo Lamont posted (copied Below) you will see he has them connected to the BLUE wire. Which is the running lamp connection on the Kuryakyn's, you need to tie this green wire to the running light wire on your lights.

You will also see another BLACK connector with 2 wires in it. The Black/white wire is ground, and the plain Black is the turn signal line. Tie those in on your lights where the directions say...

Now on the load eq.... Not sure what color the wires on yours are, but... 1 of the wires is ground and 2 of them are signal. In the case of the Kuryakyn load eq it is 2 purple (Signal) and 1 black (Gnd). The Signal lines of the load eq, 1 each side, will tie into the BLACK wire on your bike and the Ground wire from the load eq will tie into the Black/white stripe wire on your bike (You only need to hook it to one of the Black/White ground lines).

Double check your wiring and confirm it is setup correctly... from what you describe it sounds like you may have the running and signal lines wired right, but have the load EQ wired into the running lights instead of the turn signals. (Like this the Load EQ is always running current through it when the bike is powered which will make it REEEAAALLLLYYYY Hot).

If this doesn't help PM me and I will try to help some more.

·
Registered
400 Posts
OK.............I got it !! Thanks Jutah and Lamonster......I'm almost embarrassed to tell you guys, BUT if I don't.....then some other 'knuckle head' will do what I did. The problem was...............USING TWO LOAD EQUALIZERS!!!!! I read your post JUtah....coupled with Lamonsters....I tried a couple of thing last night, early this morning and again when I got home....still the same condition. HOT AS HE** after a few minutes......

Was watching Prison Break..........{and thinking and reading those posts}......went out and took the second 'load equalizer' out of the picture. Wired the green wire from the bike on both sides to the RED wire on the LED lights {ONLY after you post JUtah}, the black wire on the bike to the respective color for 'left' and 'right' on the load equalizer and the black/white from the bike to the ground on the load equalizer. AMAZING.........IT STILL ALL WORKS.....FOR MORE THAN 3 MINUTES AND STILL COOL AS A CUCUMBER!!!

The kids are asleep so tomorrow I'll get home, start it up and let it run for a bit...........for the real test.

again,

THANKS GUYS FOR HANGIN' IN THERE WITH ME.........I had no idea I didn't need BOTH of those load equalizers......it's what I got from my Accessories guy!!

take care,

Frank

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lamonster said:
No problem with the sets I've installed. We use to have this problem on the C model VTX because the current was feeding through the idiot light. The fix was to add a diode to each side so it's couldn't bleed back.

Lamont,

Are you saying that this is what you did to your front turn signals on the m109? If so, where do I get a diode and what kind do I get?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Lamonster said:

that works on lots of Hondas but because they use the one turn indicator or idiot light that the current goes through when switching either signal. the diodes just isolate the signal and prevents it from backing up into the unintended sig light. It should not play a part on the two indicator setup like the 109 uses unless they are both in series with each other.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts