M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
all,

im new to the 9 (coming from an M90) and i just want to validate the engine idle sound. when the bike is idling (cold or hot), it basically makes a knocking sound. once i start rolling, it seems to smooth out. its fairly loud but i cant tell if its up in the cylinder heads or down low.

i searched a bit, but wasnt sure if any of the posts i found were covering the sound i hear.

on the M90, i did not hear this. is this just normal idle sound becuase of the larger engine?

i just want to make sure that im not overlooking something that should be addressed. i checked the oil and it seems to be at the right level.

thanks for any insight.

(UPDATE): it seems like its only from the rear cylinder and up towards the top

brad

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so i read a bunch of posts here on kocks and such and it sounds like it might be the basket. even if i pull in the clutch its still there, but maybe a bit less sound.

im going to test it tomorrow and see if it goes away when i put it in 1st and start to roll. it might just be the clutch basket knocking around when its in N.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Cam chain tensioner?

Just having a bit of a guess.

·
Radio Active Member
22,675 Posts
If it decreases when you pull the clutch in, it's the clutch basket. It's normal.

Pulling the clutch in won't make it go away completely but it quietens it about half.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts