M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my intake hooked up yesterday.
I still need to make some billet brakets to hold the filters.
It seemed to add a little power and change the exhaust sound.
The filter is a little big but I ordered it on line and I wanted the ram air look and a good KN filter.
Hey, big bike, big tire, big intake, big rider, gets big looks.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I think mods are one of the key reasons I like cruisers. More power, better look, better sound, better ride, better comfort, the list goes on. Most of the mods I've seen on this forum rock. Making the machine yours is what it's all about. I havn't really done anything significant as of yet, but like my previous bike, I will..
However of all the air mods I've seen, none of them seem to flow well with this machine. No offence meant kwcrawler. It's all about personal preference right.

I think the design of the air intake on this machine, makes it difficult to manufacture a mod that works well with the look of the bike.

Did you see any improvement in performance? Does that filter get in the way while riding?
I'll be waiting for an air mod that lends well to the lines a little more.
:p

·
Registered
600 Posts
Seems to me if you're gonna "ram" air down it's throat, you gotta get the intakes out in the wind! Looks good KW. I'm not privvy to many of the engine mods, yet ;) Are those of you hanging these exposed filters off your rides only riding in fair weather? I'm afraid that wouldn't work for me. I'm on mine just about every day, whether riding to work or all through the mountains around here on the weekends. If I happen to get caught in a downpour... oh, well :dontknow: I'd like to see a cover similar to the stock one, but opened up on the side, like these:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I am torn... 1/2 of me wants to do the Home made ram air thing detailed here on the board... (foul weather option alluded to)
and the other half wants something like Troubleis is talking about above. I have mostly enjoyed more of a sleeper look on my vehicles/rides in the past.
Either way I am hoping for proof that one of them, with some fuel work and a gutted exhaust can give me maybe another 10HP. Due to my size and skill I will never be the fastest, BUT I do like to ride something that feels "awake" not drowsy as the manufacturers put out. The jsd-3m has done a little of that... Dave just needs a little more.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Trouble_Is said:
Seems to me if you're gonna "ram" air down it's throat, you gotta get the intakes out in the wind! Looks good KW. I'm not privvy to many of the engine mods, yet ;) Are those of you hanging these exposed filters off your rides only riding in fair weather? I'm afraid that wouldn't work for me. I'm on mine just about every day, whether riding to work or all through the mountains around here on the weekends. If I happen to get caught in a downpour... oh, well :dontknow:  I'd like to see a cover similar to the stock one, but opened up on the side, like these:
You need water sacks. They cover your filters on a dirtbike and are breahtable. They fit in your jeans pocket. Can buy them at any dealer that sells dirt bikes.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It seems to give it some more power. I did the JSD kit 1st then added these. You can hear is suck the air in and you can stand behind it and feel a stronger exhaust flow. Dyno on July 10.
I get to race my friends 2003 v-max tomarrow. I'm sure I can get him off the line, 1/8 mile than 1/4.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts