M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all the dads out there. At what age would you feel comfortable having your kid hanging on behind you? The reason I ask is I have a 6 and 4 year old, when I informed the 6 year old that daddy is getting the bike we looked at, his first comment was that I had to go and get a kids helmet for him. The 4 year old will be nothing more then driving up and down my residential street at 5mph, but was wondering about the 6 year old. I'm thinking that around town would be fine, but no high ways or high way speeds for that matter. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Keith

·
Registered
898 Posts
hmm... depends on the kid...the size of the kid....your size and his ability to pay attention....i know kids that could and some that could'nt because of thier abilities to maintain concentration of holding on...are you small enough and is he large enough to really hold on? if you weigh tree fitty  then the answer is no ... 5mph down the street for a longgg time before i would even consider it... and of course would'nt let him even sit on it without a helmet...
good luck  :bigthumbsup:
khrome

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree that the kid has to be very aware of what is going on. I have a 6 year old daughter and I am wondering about taking her for a little spin. She is only 44 inches tall and about 40 pounds.. Makes me think twice about it..

·
Registered
750 Posts
I will only do it when my kids can lock their arms around me and they can lock their fingers together. Only because of the torque this bike has. Khrome13 and Stipetich are right , They definnately need to be able to pay attention and be aware of their surroundings.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been thinking about this since I got the bike as well.  I have twin daughters that are nine years old.  They have been asking for a ride everyday since I got the M.  At first I wasn't comfortable enough to even consider giving them a ride, but now I'm feeling pretty good and have had my wife on the back several times. 

I think I'm going to start very slowly and only go around the block a few times with each one and see how they do.  Maybe after a month or so of doing that I'll consider doing short around town rides like maybe to the gas station or grocery store.

·
Registered
686 Posts
At those ages I personally will only give rides around the neighborhood. The 4 year old I would probably put on in front of me. Your legs help hold her in better. Of course you end up with two little hand prints on the gas tank, but it's worth the excitement on their faces.

I agree with the point made earlier about waiting for the longer rides until they can hang on properly, and that is not just with this bike.

The other thing I would seriously consider is the backrest mod. I'm a lot more comfortable giving kids rides if they have a backrest behind them.

·
Registered
752 Posts
My neighboor came blasting down a 25 mph street at close to 50 mph on his FZ1 with his 7 year old daughter sitting side saddle in a dress.

Then the idiot comes by the next day with her on the back in no helmet and a 2 year old on the front with a chrome skid lid that had fallen around his neck.

Just enforces the bad impression that some people have of motorcyclists.

I know that it's off topic slightly but I respect all you guys for being concerned about kids and bikes and being so responsible for it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My daughter is almost 5 and has been asking for rides. I agree with everybody that has said size and maturity are paramount in making that decision. I've told my daughter that she has to be able to do several things:

1 - Be able to ride her bicycle without training wheels (demonstrate balance)
2 - Big enough that her feet can be planted firmly on the passanger pegs (I shutter to thing about a tiny foot getting caught in that monster 240)
3 - Convince me that she can stay focused on the task at hand for an extended period of time (that's the maturity thing)

I can hardly wait for the day that my daughter and I go for rides together, but I CAN wait. If it means holding off for another 5 or so years, so be it. As much as I love my bike, it doesn't even come close to how much I love my little girl. She doesn't like it, but I think she understands.  :)

Besides, I've been thinking about one of these:

http://www.imz-ural.com/

G

·
I agree ,,with just a putt putt around the neighbor hood..thats it though,...these cagers try and take me out almost every day or every ride..I just couldnt live myself it somethin was to happen to my kids out on a ride on a busy road...just to da** dangerous anymore..and reg roads..

·
Registered
19 Posts
my 11 yr old rides on the rear of my warrior. i use a modified 1" motorcycle strap to wrap around me and him through his belt loops. it works great . also he wears a helmet that fits him.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My oldest son was I think 6 or 7 before I would take him on a ride further than our block. And even than, it was with a helmet and sitting in front of me. I remember on the first ride, I stopped to get gas and there was a police officer in the parking lot and I asked him if there were any laws about riding my son in the front of me, and he told me - no, just to be careful! Would not let him ride behind me to his feet were able to reach the pegs, and even than only because I had a back rest. He's now 10 1/2 and rides with me often (not yet on the M) as I'm concerned about the torque of this bike and that I have no back rest - but man is he itching to get on the back!

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I said the same thing in the other post... I would only feel comfortably riding my 5y/o girl on a bike that has a wraparound rear seat like the Goldwing. Other than that, it's only low speed neighborhood maneuvers. I don't think her attention span is good enough to remember that she has to remain alert and hold on. She would probably get distracted at the wrong moment and fall off. I would not be able to live with myself if my daughter got hurt on my bike.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine did not start riding with me till he was 8 years old with all required safety gear. At the time i had a rear sissybar for him to hold onto. M109 has alot of power one sudden jerk when the child is not paying attention and he or she would be on the ground. I would wait just my opinion though!
"Live to Ride"

·
Registered
817 Posts
In many states, the kid has to be able to reach the footpegs. That's the way it is in Illinois.

However, in Illinois, you don't need to put a helmet on the kid. Go figure.

As an MSF instructor, I am very familiar with the laws here in Illinois and I have to say, we've got some of the stupidest ones going.

(Example: you can flash the brake lights by hand, but installing a brake light flasher is illegal. ::) )

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Must reach pegs securely
Must be gung ho!, If they are not itchin to do it... skip it till they are.
correct helmet
Leather jacket like Dad
Maturity
Backrest

Plus maybe something like these?? There are other types on the net also. As I am large I could never wait for them to clasp hands around me.
Even then I will only do short trips to avoid them falling asleep like they will in a car...

http://www.childridingbelt.com/engprod.htm

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I had a tough time with this decision as well!! My daughter (10) was chomping at the bit for me to take her riding so we did "Baby steps"

1) Got her a helmet, Riding jacket with heavy padding (Joe rocket), and nice set of Chaps
2) Small rides around the neighboorhood at around 10mph tops for a week or 2 until I knew she could stay focused and hold on
3) Small rides out on the NOT busy 40mph twisties we have near the house. (Teach her how to ride through a turn)
4) Got an intercomm system (Nady MC-11X) so I could talk to her, then took a 3 hour ride to Branson MO on the twisties. I had her "warn me" about the road signs as they came up so I wouldnt miss one.  :D 

Makes her feel like part of the "team" and gives me some feedback that she is not back there dozing off.
One thing we have changed however... I now have her hold on to the strap on the back seat. On longer rides her arms would get tired of being slung up around me, and her back tired from leaning forward.

She now rides with me about every weekend and we have gone as far as 300 miles in a day. We still do the road sign deal and she absolutely loves to ride with me, as I do her!   :D  There is a lot of good bonding time together on the bike... No Tv, phone, friends, neighbors.... just her, I and the open road!  :D  :D  :D  :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
844 Posts
Unfortunately the video link on the "do you wear a helmet?" thread no longer seems to work. This is really a shame, since that was one hell of a video for anyone contemplating a decsion like this.

One part of the clip show a survailance camera video of a cager who cuts right in front of a motorcyclist who is tooling down the street at about 35 or 40 mph. This guy never had a chance -- he was about 40 feet from the car when it cuts right into his path. His body sails about 25 - 30 feet down the road at about the same speed that his bike was going, before he touches down hard for the first time.

You all know trhis kind of stuff can happen -- but it is REALLY powerful to actually see it happen, and to see just how quickly it all takes place.

·
Registered
844 Posts
If anybody knows how to get that video up and running again, I think it would be something like a "public service" to have it on our board.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
back in the day my son started out riding with me on my old 73' Z1 900 I still have when he was about 2. He rode in front of me and I used a nylon strap like a belt to keep him next to me. We only went out on country roads but he loved it. We put in a 250 mile day once. The only problem I see with kids on bikes is they get sleepy just like they do in cars and I have seen my son take a nap while riding! They do have things like buddy belts with handgrip looking things for them to hold onto but I would feel better if they were strapped to me at those younger years at least until they are old enough to tell you they want off or are getting sleepy/tired.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts