M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! My kickstand hangs low when up and then starts to fall even further when riding. I can also hear it scrape when I turn left. I have already replaced the springs. Anything else to try?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced both springs a few months back. They are both hooked up and don't look broken as far as I can tell It's the stock kickstand. They feel like they have good tension.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I replaced them before because the kickstand wasn't holding the neutral safety switch down and it would kill the bike while I was riding and the road got bumpy. Even with the new springs, it didn't help, so I ended up bypassing the switch.

The springs aren't holding the kickstand right enough against the bike when up. It's very easy to pull down by hand.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,636 Posts
Vytasb, can you take a picture of it? I went out and tested mine today by hand and it doesn't come down that easily. I have an aftermarket kickstand but it's at least as heavy as the stock kickstand is. I'm assuming you greased the pivot when you put the stand on? The way they are made they sort of go around a pivot point that makes them go from the springs pulling down to the springs pulling up. I'm guessing mine takes at least 2 or 3 pounds of effort to get it started down. And that's with the springs that have been on it since 2007.

I had a problem with mine where the kickstand switch was worn and when the stand hit it, the switch would deflect upward instead of moving inward. That kept the kickstand from fully moving up, but it would still stay up. The switch just didn't work and I replaced it.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,636 Posts
It looks like it's installed correctly. I need to look at mine tomorrow because it seems to me my springs have more coils than that. When I replaced the kickstand I extended it and put pennies or washers between the coils to keep the spring extended, and even with it extended they had to be pushed in. I'm assuming you can pull it up where it's supposed to be, it's not hanging up on anything? I can see where you have the switch clamped down.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nothing interfering with it that I can see. I clamped the switch because the stand hangs down and wouldn't engage it. I push it up with my foot as far as I can before riding off, but it falls when riding. Especially on bumpy roads.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,636 Posts
Mine is installed exactly like yours, and the springs look the same. Mine returns with a nice solid clunk and takes a little effort, maybe 2-3 pounds of force, to swing it back down. I would put some oil on the kickstand pivot bolt and on the mounting hooks of the springs, work it a few times, and see if that helps. Other than different springs, I don't know what else to suggest.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts