M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

As I've mentioned before, other Boulevard models suffer from the same crappy kickstand design. Below is a picture of a little device that has been available for the Suzuki Volusia/C50s for some time:

The dude sells these for $16. As you can see, it bungees onto the kickstand. Whenever you park your bike, you can push it up to the top of the stand with your foot and it locks the stand. When you want to pull the stand up, you push it back down.

Now, the M109R hinge pivot is a little different than the other Boulevards, so I'm not sure this would work exactly on our bikes. But, I am thinking that some enterprising gentleman can machine something along this basic simple idea and make it available for around the same price.

(HINT HINT ;) )

:doorag:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Or perhaps someone actually has one from a previous bike and can check it on their 109 for proper fit and function? :a18:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ppridgen1 said:
or pehaps the accidents that happened were caused by some other mysterious force.the ghost of harley davidson woooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!1 :joke:
Very helpful post, thanks. ::)

Now, any SERIOUS comments?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ppridgen1 said:
if the kickstand was such a bad design don't you expect every other bike would have fallen over by now.But in reality they haven't ,unlike the numerous oil overfills ,this seems very,very isolated.Don't you think 8)
I would tend to agree with you, except for the 100--plus Volusias/C50s that have fallen over due to the same flawed basic design. It's been proven to be an issue with Boulevards; hence, the existence of the above-pictured device in the first place.

·
Registered
543 Posts
if the kickstand was such a bad design don't you expect every other bike would have fallen over by now.But in reality they haven't ,unlike the numerous oil overfills ,this seems very,very isolated.Don't you think
When yours fall over and you have to shell out 1700 like me you will call the number I bet. Thanks for the post Wanted,I will fight them till I win.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Been thinking about a fix for this and I'm going to try something when I get back home. I'm thinking about drilling a hole in the front of the kickstand mounting bracket and adding another bolt so I can move the top of the spring forward of the kickstand. That will help keep tention forward till you go past center. Most bikes are like that anyway. ::)

·
Registered
543 Posts
My same thoughs Lamonster,most hondas after 70% they do the rest.This is a big problem to me ,I never worried about a bike after I parked it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ppridgen1 said:
well good luck with that but i see no problems with mine so again i state maybe an isolated incedent :dontknow:
Okay, let's not waste our time with this guys. PP has proven to us all that since his bike doesn't seem to exhibit this behavior, the problem does not exist. Thanks for setting us all straight dude. Boy, do I feel stupid. :confused:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Park the bike facing uphill and leave it in first gear...problem solved. I dropped mine the 4th day I had it but I was the reason. I parked it on a very slight decline and it went over a few minutes after I left her side. Now I just make sure I pick a parking spot with a slight incline and face it up the hill in gear...I think that's the trick. Hell if the only time it's on it's side is when it's parked that's a good thing!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I read the first post a couple of days ago and the first thing I did the next morning when I got to work was to see how easy it would be to push it off the kick stand. Now I see if there is any kinda off down hill slope you could be spending some cash on repairs so as brbluetele said park at least on an incline or like Lamonster said keep it in gear. But do not forget to take the slack out of the gears. :D :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree -- parking it in gear and take the slack out, blah blah blah. But I bet a lot of guys would be willing to shell out $16 for a little extra peace of mind. I know I would.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It is just a bad design. When I went to park it the first time I knew this was an accident waiting to happen.

I compared the angle of the kickstand against my Warrior, and the Warrior is angled about 110-115 degrees (perpendicular is equal to 90 degrees off the left side of the bike). The 109 is about 100 - 105 degrees. Essentially, this makes it easier to push the 109 forward, and off the stand. I took a dremmel and ground down the area where the kickstand contacts its holder. It now measures some 115 - 120 degrees, and extremely stable, even on slight declines.

It's an easy mod, and only takes 5 minutes to do.

Cheers,

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
emvanderpol said:
I took a dremmel and ground down the area where the kickstand contacts its holder. It now measures some 115 - 120 degrees, and extremely stable, even on slight declines.

It's an easy mod, and only takes 5 minutes to do.

Cheers,
Yeah, I did this as well, and did it on my last two Boulevards. The only thing to remember is that when you do this, the foot isn't gonna be flat against the ground any more, which makes sink-in a possible issue on soft ground or on hot asphault.

·
Registered
253 Posts
This seems to be a Suzuki problem I have lost count on the number of Busa's including mine that have rolled of the side stand I agree with what most are saying and that is always leave the bike in gear andthen walk away from it . That in itself is fine but what about when you start it up in the Morning and are waiting for it to warm up I guess you are gonna say just sit the there on it until your are ready to go. My belief is that Suzuki know the problem and dont want to fix it because it gives the dealers a lot of insurance work when the fall over and the money continues comming in once you have bought the bike

Justy my 02c

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
DHandyman said:
Or perhaps someone actually has one from a previous bike and can check it on their 109 for proper fit and function? :a18:
I had a Volusia, and I also bought one of these gizmo's for keeping the kick stand in place. It worked perfectly, and I used it all the time. I as especially concerned about the many ding bats that sit on my bike to try it out when your not around. This keeps them from lifting the kick stand, which also helps keep the bike from falling.
Anyway, I havn't tried this device on my 109 yet. Not sure why I havn't, becuase I can see how this bike could fall over just like my Volusia. It has a similar problem with the kick stand.
I will try the device out tomorrow on my 109, and let ya'll know.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
The Kickstand Remedy gizmo used on the Volusia won't work on the M109R. I tried it tonight. Too bad..
It doesn't seem to be too far off, I suspect that a little grinding might make it work, but I can't tell for sure.
I think it may need a whole new gizmo.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I got the fix.Install a limit switch with a light on the handel bars that will tell you the stand is full open.Then put a 100 LB sack of cement in the front and one in the rear tire.Then take a come- along and tie it to the stand and the front wheel.This worked on my other bikes ::) why was I so stupid to think I did not need this set up anymore.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Windog said:
I got the fix.Install a limit switch with a light on the handel bars that will tell you the stand is full open.Then put a 100 LB sack of cement in the front and one in the rear tire.Then take a come- along and tie it to the stand and the front wheel.This worked on my other bikes ::) why was I so stupid to think I did not need this set up anymore.
No more calls folks... we have a winner. :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
I here about the same problems on all Suzuki's. I will just do the same with the 109 that I do with the busa park it in gear with the slack taken up. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts