M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a problem with this stand.when you put it down,it don't throw itself down like my Honda did.You have to push it forward manual.Mine rolled off
the stand and did a number on the tank,Boy I am ticked off.

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
Damn that sucks.    :(  Can't believe we have another one down.  The M's seem to be dropping like flies, no pun intended.  I have allways pushed my stand all the way forward, just a habit.

·
Registered
817 Posts
All Suzuki Boulevards have this same issue. It is even WORSE on the C50/M50/S50 models. This issue has been well documented on VolusiaRiders.com.

There are essentially three things you can do:

1) Employ the following ritual whenever you park: 1st gear, kickstand down, push the bike ALL THE WAY FORWARD to take up slack in the drive train. This is a habit for me now.

2) Take a Dremel or similar tool and either a) notch the kickstand, or b) shave off the stop where the kickstand meets it. This will increase the angle at which the kickstand rests, thereby making it more difficult to push off the stand.

3) Do both 1) and 2).

Sorry to hear this happened to your M. Hopefully, someone will come out with a nice engine guard eventually.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Leason learned. Two days of ownership and yup... it happened to me. Clutch lever broken at the "ball", left turn signal slightly cracked...and left side of tank got a nice ding. AAAArgggg! Oh well, this bike is still DA BOMB!! I'll study how to remove the tank and make it right again.
Tks, and have a good one..

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Wow, that's what I call digging up a dead thread...  :joke:  I just wish I had seen this post before mine fell.  Granted I didn't have nearly as much damage as the OP did to his tank.  Mine just scraped the Boulevard emblem (which has sense been removed).  It did, however, break the clutch handle at the "weak" point.  I always wondered why they put that hole there... now I know.  It's so it doesn't break farther up the lever making the bike undriveable.  It also bent the shift lever (which I bent back to a position I preferred over stock) and scraped the rear fender strut.  The fender strut is the only thing that will still have evidence of the fall since everything else has been either removed or replaced.  The idea of stopping the bike and leaving in gear is good, but mine did not drop with the bike off.  Mine fell when I was letting the bike warm up which, for obvious reasons, cannot be done in gear.  I had had the bike less than 24 hours when it happened to me.  I parked on ground that was not quite level and cranked the bike and stepped away to don my helmet when I heard one of the worst sounds I could ever hear... crunch.  I had only been familiar with HD bikes in the past, which come with locking stands that you cannot roll the bike off of.  I just assumed all kickstands were made this way.  Hard lesson to learn to say the least.  At least my tank survived unscathed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sorry to here. I'll be more careful on mine. I guess you can debadge it now if you want.  :beer3:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Almost had this spell of bad luck, parked on what turned out to be a slightly downhill grade, got off to look at a honda shadow that was for sale.....the 109 started inchin its way forward and i got back on it in time to realize that was a bad place to park.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
SirBeeson said:
Almost had this spell of bad luck, parked on what turned out to be a slightly downhill grade, got off to look at a honda shadow that was for sale.....the 109 started inchin its way forward and i got back on it in time to realize that was a bad place to park.
Always put the bike into 1st gear.
Take out the slack in the drive train before placing the kickstand down.
Park it in a reasonably level place if possible.
If up hill, back into a curb so the bike can go no where.
Never let the front wheel go down in grade from level. Turn the bike around.

I personally use these methods with any motorcycle I owne! :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
317 Posts
SirBeeson said:
your not supposed to look at another bike while riding your 109. they get jealous. would you ask out another woman in front of your wife?

·
Registered
214 Posts
i caught mine right as the left handle bar cap touched the pavement, need a new cap, for it ding it on the asphalt, other than that nothing happened, thank goodness. sorry too hear about yours, dude. i will always put mine in gear, and and make sure the kick-stand is all the way forward from hence fourth and ever more..... :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
gaMrider said:
i caught mine right as the left handle bar cap touched the pavement, need a new cap, for it ding it on the asphalt, other than that nothing happened, thank goodness. sorry too hear about yours, dude. i will always put mine in gear, and and make sure the kick-stand is all the way forward from hence fourth and ever more..... :bigthumbsup: :doorag:
You are a freakin superman if you caught your 700# bike that low in a fall.

·
Registered
113 Posts
109RS said:
your not supposed to look at another bike while riding your 109. they get jealous. would you ask out another woman in front of your wife?
Just trying to find my 109 a little lady to love on, he gets lonely in the garage on rainy days.....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts