M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As another member or 2 has spoken about the 9'er fallin over,,mine did the Exact same thing...Please call suzuki direct and logged a complaint....I do think there might be a problem..What not sure....AS of now they stated mines the only conplaint....owned several other bikes and have never had this happen...just figured It was a fluke and my fault ,which it could still be I suppose....Point is ,,,,I'm afraid to leave it run in neutral to warm up now,,,,I sit on it ,,till its ready to ride as I dont want to have it tip over again..Laters

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
traysvega said:
As another member or 2 has spoken about the 9'er fallin over,,mine did the Exact same thing...Please call suzuki direct and logged a complaint....I do think there might be a problem..What not sure....AS of now they stated mines the only conplaint....owned several other bikes and have never had this happen...just figured It was a fluke and my fault ,which it could still be I suppose....Point is ,,,,I'm afraid to leave it run in neutral to warm up now,,,,I sit on it ,,till its ready to ride as I dont want to have it tip over again..Laters
Wow, I would never leave it running without being on it. Just never thought about it really. Well maybe, click vroom, turn around and grab my helmet and sit down...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont any more,,,but it was cold that day and figured let it warm up a few minutes,,then take off...My bud who rides a harley,,stated,,it doesnt have akickstand lock?Geezz first the ribbin for the oil leak(over fill) from the dealer,,then the front wheel on backwards,,then it fell over,,,now the speedo is actin up.... :eek:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey, I thought you were supposed to sit on the bike to start it. Isn't there a sensor in the seat that won't let the bike start if you aren't sitting on it????????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not that I'm aware..pull in the clutch,flip the switch,,put it in neutral,,,,(key on)....and start...

·
Registered
78 Posts
traysvega said:
As another member or 2 has spoken about the 9'er fallin over,,mine did the Exact same thing...Please call suzuki direct and logged a complaint....I do think there might be a problem..What not sure....AS of now they stated mines the only conplaint....owned several other bikes and have never had this happen...just figured It was a fluke and my fault ,which it could still be I suppose....Point is ,,,,I'm afraid to leave it run in neutral to warm up now,,,,I sit on it ,,till its ready to ride as I dont want to have it tip over again..Laters Â
Man, that sucks. Was there much damage? Can you sorta explain what happened? You started and let it warm in nuetral while on the kickstand and the kickstand gave way? I am curious because I start it in nuetral and let it warm up while I go back and hit the garage door button and I don't want it to happen to me. Maybe it rolled because it was in nuetral?

Thanks and I hope you get it fixed quickly

·
Registered
37 Posts
Traysvega,

I feel your pain man! Mine did the same thing this morning. I pulled it out of the garage, got off to close the door...5feet away and all of a sudden, I didn't hear it?!?!? Turned around and there is my freshly waxed M109 laying on the driveway. This really sucks!

The dealer wants to see it and see if they can duplicate it...I hope they can, but who knows? I take it in on Saturday. I have never heard of one doing this. With that said, I'm going to get it fixed and then I am going to: grove the kickstand, take the slack out of the drivline when parked, park it in gear, and never let it idle w/o being on it! Expensive lesson learned! :mad:

For those of you who have had the same unfortunate experience Suzuki Customer Service can be reached at the following: 714-572-1490. Have your VIN ready.

You guys take an extra ride for me while I am out of commission!

--Patrick

P.S. How many on here out of the 700+ members have had their bike fall off the kickstand under suspicious circumstances?

·
Registered
78 Posts
krazydiver said:
Traysvega,

I feel your pain man! Mine did the same thing this morning. I pulled it out of the garage, got off to close the door...5feet away and all of a sudden, I didn't hear it?!?!? Turned around and there is my freshly waxed M109 laying on the driveway. This really sucks!Â

The dealer wants to see it and see if they can duplicate it...I hope they can, but who knows?  I take it in on Saturday. I have never heard of one doing this. With that said, I'm going to get it fixed and then I am going to: grove the kickstand, take the slack out of the drivline when parked, park it in gear, and never let it idle w/o being on it! Expensive lesson learned!  :mad:

For those of you who have had the same unfortunate experience Suzuki Customer Service can be reached at the following: 714-572-1490. Have your VIN ready.Â

You guys take an extra ride for me while I am out of commission!

--Patrick

P.S. How many on here out of the 700+ members have had their bike fall off the kickstand under suspicious circumstances?
I am gonna call Suzuki at the number above and report the same problem, even though it hasn't happened yet. Just to get it documented. 1st year bike, they need to hear about it from as many people as possible, just like the oil overfill problem.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I haven't had it happen...but normally I start it...sit on it a minute or so...give her a small rev , make sure it's in nuetral...get off... close my garage door
run thru the house grab a few things...while I hear it idling it's low growl I run back out.

Now I will modify...I probably will start it and warm it up with me on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a interesting starter problem that resulted in the bike lurtching forward in 1st when i tried to reconnect the battery. It stood for a few seconds and then started to drop. I caught at about a 45 degree angle and arrested the fall at a 30degree angle and was able to lift it but holly hell was i scared (the bike was only a day old and the starter had already given us trouble, no way was i letting that thing drop). I know why it happened but during and after it lurched it looked fine as the stand did slide with the bike. I started to wonder about the stand and now i just rock back on the bike to make sure the stand if fully forward before i get off.

Best of luck
Jeff

·
Registered
411 Posts
Stretch said:
Hey, I thought you were supposed to sit on the bike to start it. Isn't there a sensor in the seat that won't let the bike start if you aren't sitting on it????????
Nope someone fed you a line of sh**.

·
Registered
817 Posts
muahman said:
I am gonna call Suzuki at the number above and report the same problem, even though it hasn't happened yet. Just to get it documented. 1st year bike, they need to hear about it from as many people as possible, just like the oil overfill problem.
:a20:

Don't bother.

This is something Suzuki is well aware of. They have been using basically the same design for all the Boulevards since they came out, and for the Intruders, Marauders, and Volusias before that.

On VolusiaRiders.com, there have been at least 100 reports of bikes falling off the stand. Maybe more. This is since 2001. So trust me, they know.

Instead of whining about something they obviously are NOT going to fix, I suggest y'all get busy and fix it yourselves.

·
Registered
817 Posts
waterman said:
I started to wonder about the stand and now i just rock back on the bike to make sure the stand if fully forward before i get off.Â

Best of luck
  Jeff
BAD IDEA. DO NOT DO THIS.

Rock the bike fully FORWARD until it stops, while IN GEAR. when parking. Then make sure the stand is fully extended using your foot, then put it down. That way, the bike cannot roll forward off the stand.

This is my third Boulevard with this crappy design, so fortunately I was aware of it from day 1. I've posted several warnings about it already.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Just an idea here. I've been riding a Volusia for over 3 years now and have luckily never had this problem. However, having heard of this for the past couple of years, I usually try to park with the bike facing uphill if possible.

Anyway, I was wondering how hard it would be for someone to make some simple clip you could put over the stand and mount it to the frame to lock it in place when it is down. It can't be all that difficult for someone with a little bit of know-how in that area (unlike me). The trick is creating one that would be strong and effective, yet easy enough to use that people wouldn't see it as an 'inconvenience'. (Yeah, I know, they won't think it's such an inconvenience after the bike falls once and they get the repair bill)

Just a thought for something that you engineering type people might take a whack at if you get bored and can't think of any new mods to do. :D

·
Registered
817 Posts
rideutah said:
Just an idea here. I've been riding a Volusia for over 3 years now and have luckily never had this problem. However, having heard of this for the past couple of years, I usually try to park with the bike facing uphill if possible.

Anyway, I was wondering how hard it would be for someone to make some simple clip you could put over the stand and mount it to the frame to lock it in place when it is down. It can't be all that difficult for someone with a little bit of know-how in that area (unlike me). The trick is creating one that would be strong and effective, yet easy enough to use that people wouldn't see it as an 'inconvenience'. (Yeah, I know, they won't think it's such an inconvenience after the bike falls once and they get the repair bill)

Just a thought for something that you engineering type people might take a whack at if you get bored and can't think of any new mods to do. :D
Been done. Do a search on the Volusia board for it.

Not sure if it would work on the M109 though. The actual design is slightly different, though the principle is the same.

Notchng the stand is not very difficult. That's what most people do.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Don't waist your time with Suzuki those lame asses don't care.call NHTSA TOLL FREE 1-888-327-4236 I reported mine and they need a number of complaints,they would not tell me how many,but if they get enough,they will make Suzuki pay.The tank is about 800 clams. ::)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wanted said:
BAD IDEA. DO NOT DO THIS.

Rock the bike fully FORWARD until it stops, while IN GEAR. when parking. Then make sure the stand is fully extended using your foot, then put it down. That way, the bike cannot roll forward off the stand.

This is my third Boulevard with this crappy design, so fortunately I was aware of it from day 1. I've posted several warnings about it already.
Thats what i do when parking on inclines (that and always facing up them). On flat surfaces i just stay on and roll back to insure the stand is fully forward before i get off. The bike stays in neutral for convience, well atlest with the VLX which is carbed and has to warm up. It occurs to me that unless the bike it tampered with (in which case all bets are off), on flat surcases if you just make sure the bike settles on the extended stand you should be fine.

Jeff

·
Registered
817 Posts
waterman said:
It occurs to me that unless the bike it tampered with (in which case all bets are off), on flat surcases if you just make sure the bike settles on the extended stand you should be fine.

Jeff
Right -- unless the bike is tampered with. That is the key sentence here. Many of the fallovers that have been reported on other forums have been the kind where someone has come out of a store and found the bike just lying on its side where they parked it. That tells me that maybe a pedestrian knocked into it, or a kid pushed on it or something. What take that chance, when it is so easy to avoid?

Continue to do as you like, but thought I'd point out (for the benefit of the newbies) that rolling the bike backward is pretty poor advice.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I agree with Wanted, push bike forword in first gear, take the slop out so it can't roll any further,and turn bars to the left.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts