M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering....When I bought my '07 - 109R the dealer wrote my key number on the front of my owners manual. Does anyone know if this is the number of units sold in the U.S.? Mine is four digits? How many digits are ya'lls? Just a note.....Don't tell us your actual number....that would just be plain silly :eek:

G

·
Shouldnt it just be a key number in case you lose yours with no real significance other than being a key number?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense......just a thought. Anyone else? :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
dynamos2000 said:
Shouldn't it just be a key number in case you lose yours with no real significance other than being a key number?
Exactly :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Just a number that tells them how your ignition is keyed so they can send you a replacement if needed.

·
Registered
775 Posts
actually; that key number will let a locksmith make you a new key right on the spot if you lose yours.  i have had it done before.  it tells them what sequence the key is knotched to.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hey, I guess I will answer your actual question about the numbers. I have an 06 purchased in Pennsylvania and the numbers are four numeric digits. JOHN
Does not seem to be of any significance.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Mack400 said:
Hey, I guess I will answer your actual question about the numbers.
Ok, maybe you can clue the rest of us in on how it is we did not ask his question. He asked if it signified number of units sold, to which we responded, correctly I might add, that the number is to be used when ordering replacement keys. And how is it you think you actually answered his question?

Mack400 said:
Does not seem to be of any significance.
Right... No real significance to those numbers. That's why his dealer took the time to write that insignificant number in his manual ::)  That's why that little black tag is attached to the key ring in the first place. You know, these numbers are nothing new. Any vehicle comes with a replacement key code. Sometimes the dealer keeps this in their records, and sometimes they give it to you. Same thing with padlocks. There will always be a number stamped on the key itself or written down in the packaging on a sticker or something. So you can order replacement keys if needed.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Make sure you put it in a safe place. If you lose it, it is expensive to replace your lost key.

·
Registered
600 Posts
There have been a couple of theft rings broken up the last few years where a person at the dealership would order a new key from a corrupt locksmith using that number. He would then give the key to a thief, along with the buyer's address on file, and when the car was stolen and sold, the car thief would kick back some money to the person at the dealership and the locksmith. Both times I heard of it, it was being done with Escalades and such.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hwy I'm just a stickler for details ( or just a wise###). I'm just glad to be on this site.

Mine is four digits? How many digits are ya'lls? Just a note.....Don't tell us your actual number....that would just be plain silly

"MINE IS FOUR DIGITS? HOW MANY DIGITS ARE YA'ALLS?

I guess thats why.....Now for the comment Duuuuuuuhhhhh. JOHN

Gee don't get cranky - I look to you guys so I can learn things. JOHN

·
Registered
248 Posts
The VIN number indicates what number the bike is, and yes everyone will have a 4 digit code on US production 109's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts