M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! I've owned a '9 since March 2016, and been a daily rider on it for a majority of the days since then. This has been the first motorcycle I have owned. :doorag: haha At least I went to motorcycle academy before getting on the beast. :bigthumbsup: I imagine most people here had more experience before owning the M109R, and I imagine most of you don't park on the street like I do. Unfortunately, living near downtown Los Angeles, the options are few and expensive.

I haven't had any issues (besides it getting dirty relatively quickly) until last week, when I discovered my bike had been moved down a block from where I had parked it, and the key cylinder was missing and ignition wires exposed. :eek:

I pushed it several blocks, slightly uphill at that, back to my apartment building, and put it next to the 24/7 vallet for my building. The next morning I pushed it a few more blocks to the nearest parking lot with security, and parked it for $75/month. I tried starting it a few times by putting all the wires together, and was able to get the lights to come on and the battery to churn, but it wouldn't turn over even though the crank sounded like the battery was outputting the force required to achieve ignition. Me and my friend got the impression that something in the bike's computer, or a device in the key cylinder (which is now missing), wasn't allowing an engine start to complete. If that's the case, it's what saved me from losing the bike!

I traced the exposed wires back to the wiring harness, and disconnected the clip and took the remains. My friend is suggesting I buy part #11 in the diagram from the following link:
https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oe...21ee0216e2a/wiring-harness-vzr1800k6-k7-k8-k9
Great, that's $113, not too bad. I'm also missing the bolt that holds it on, part #14, but that's just a few dollars. However, then I would need to retain my old key for the gas cap and helmet lock, which is a pain in the ass. My friend was suggesting I have a locksmith redrill the gas cap and helmet lock based on the new key. I have no idea if this is feasible or if it would be cost effective - does anyone know? ???

I can't afford to buy the whole lock kit new for $300+ right now, so my other options would be used or OEM on eBay:
USED $135:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-SUZUK...895455?hash=item441e2ac49f:g:5UkAAOSw8Opa-eGi
OEM $200:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-VZR...:V6oAAOSwlptZ6Snf:sc:USPSPriority!90057!US!-1

My friend was concerned about the used one being used, and it looks like it's pretty old - 2007. My bike is the original year 2006 (K6), but I bought it with only 6725 miles on it, have it up to 21k miles now. A 2007 kit could easily have a lot more starts than mine had, if that makes a difference. For information purposes, I bought a GMan Industries battery (https://www.gmanindustries.com/shop/pc/GBat-Boulevard-C109R-M109R-M90-p618.htm) when I took over ownership because the bike was older and previously hadn't been running often.

It also looks like the used one doesn't have some of the pieces the OEM one has, which I assume are parts for the helmet lock. So maybe the OEM kit is the way to go? Any ideas or suggestions for the best way to handle this situation and get back to riding would be appreciated!

Thank you!

-Sam

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Don't forget that there is another keyed lock on the bike also......steering lock. :bigthumbsup:

BCS
Good point. My steering lock hasn't worked since shortly after getting the bike. Something doesn't line up right between the steering lock mechanism and where it pushes into, no matter how I turn the front wheel.

Perhaps if that worked and I had been using it, that would have prevented this incident...but it's also possible if I had been using the steering lock, the thief/thieves would have graduated their efforts directly to getting 4 people together to put it in a van and bring it somewhere I'd never find it again to work on it.

All that said, yes there is that fourth lock, but I'm more concerned about the other 3 and wouldn't be heartbroken if I can never use the steering lock again, as I already hadn't been using it for most of the time I've had the bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And the seat release.

So the 9 actually has 5 keyed locks.

BCS
That's right! Darnit! And that's one I need too. :-\ Geez

It looks like the OEM kit contains all 5 though, so that could work. Anyone know if the electronics should be compatible between my bike and the OEM ignition?

Anyone know of the cost or feasibility of locksmith keying the other 4 if I buy just the key cylinder wiring new?

I just want to be aware of options, but it's starting to look like this OEM kit is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Wow that is a bit of a drag but what a stroke of luck to find it again down the street and *not* wrapped around a tree or in a sea container for parts.

A few thots on your situation:
1. You have a key to 4 of 5 locks, I would ask a locksmith how much to change your ignition back to the key you already have rather than change the other 4. Having said that... if you dont, it means you could leave the key in the ignition while getting gas? Ha. But if you're at all like me, then you would eventually just forget the key there altogether.

2. The bad guy has your ignition set now if they didnt toss it. S/He could conceivably have a key cut to match it and would then have a key to your new ignition (and gas and steering and helmet and seat...) if you had new ignition rekeyed to the old one. Not very likely they would bother... but Im just sayin.

3. Your bike *can* run without the ignition lock as you attempted. All you are missing is a resistor between two of those wires you hooked back up. The ECU needs to see that resistance before it will allow the ignition to light - very simple but probably what saved your bike.

4. I dont use my steering lock either, although by choice (keyless ignition) so I added a $20 alarm from AliExpress instead. Simple. Loud. Effective. Goes off if you touch the bike basically *at all*.

5. For unattended overnight stays I also use a Xena XX14 disc lock alarm. Also simple. Also loud. Also effective. Also goes off at the slightest touch. (Also requires yet another key...gah)

Anyway - glad you didnt completely lose her. You have a small adventure ahead to get her wired back up.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
To answer your base question - if it were me I would bite the bullet, skip out on paying for the next couple of two-fours with my buds and get a full OEM replacement set.

AND an alarm... at least the Xena. Fits in your tool pocket (minus the tools) and works great. (Ok...thats like 4 more two-fours... ha)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for such a thorough and thoughtful reply! You have a good point about re-keying one lock instead of 4 if I went that route. And I think you're right - my best bet is to get that full OEM kit.

3. Your bike *can* run without the ignition lock as you attempted. All you are missing is a resistor between two of those wires you hooked back up. The ECU needs to see that resistance before it will allow the ignition to light - very simple but probably what saved your bike.
Interesting, and good to know. Is that resistor inside the key cylinder or wiring? I'm wondering if its similar to this flasher relay I installed to make my aftermarket LED turn signals work properly:
https://www.customdynamics.com/replacement-flasher-relay-for-m109

I guess I'll have to pick up another one of those too. And I'll definitely be looking into alarms. What is the main alarm you use? Is it kinda like this?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ste...0358ad4&transAbTest=ae803_2&priceBeautifyAB=0

·
Registered
951 Posts
I have always heard that a locksmith can duplicate a key from a key cylinder … Can`t say for sure if it true or not , but it seems reasonably true to me .What about taking out one of the cylinders (the helmet lock for example , which is easy to take out) and take it with you to a locksmith ? if he can duplicate the key for it , you solved your problem . Then you can insert the helmet cylinder on the ignition and you now will have a key for the ignition , seat release, gas cap and steering lock .How is it that you only had one key ? When I bought my bike , it came with just one key . I was very concerned about it , so the first thing I did was to find a locksmith that made me two extra keys … I was then relieved of any worries if I misplaced or lose a key . I then took one of those keys for my daily use with the bike , inserted another on a key holder that I keep handy in my garage and the third one I put it away on a key holder along with my other spare keys on a drawer .

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Thank you for such a thorough and thoughtful reply! You have a good point about re-keying one lock instead of 4 if I went that route. And I think you're right - my best bet is to get that full OEM kit.

Interesting, and good to know. Is that resistor inside the key cylinder or wiring? I'm wondering if its similar to this flasher relay I installed to make my aftermarket LED turn signals work properly:
https://www.customdynamics.com/replacement-flasher-relay-for-m109

I guess I'll have to pick up another one of those too. And I'll definitely be looking into alarms. What is the main alarm you use? Is it kinda like this?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Steelmate-986F-1-Way-Motorcycle-Alarm-System-Engine-Immobilization-Remote-Engine-Start-with-Two-Transmitter/32827591831.html
The OEM anti-theft resistor is inside the physical lock housing - there is no immobilizer type electronic interaction between your ignition and the physical key as is common in car keys. "Any" properly cut key in a working M109R ignition lock will start the bike. The flasher relay you mentioned is for your turn signals when you convert to LED's and has no effect on the ignition - and having said that, I wouldn't get the one you quoted, there are "plug and play" replacements like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Suzuki-Flasher-Relay-Bandit-Hayabusa/dp/B00C0SQHIO

The alarm you quoted was actually "one of two" I waffled over for a considerable time. I went with the very similar Steelmate 886E instead however, as I had no need for a "remote start" button I would never use, even though the 986F presented a cleaner "all in one" type install footprint. Here is the 886E for comparison:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Steelmate-886E-1-Way-Motorcycle-Universal-Security-Alarm-Auto-Scooter-Safty-System-Remote-Control-Motorbike-Engine/32826928882.html

PM me if you need to hotwire your bike until it is properly fixed. I can explain the resistor so we don't make it any easier than it already is for bad guys to find this information...ha. :cop:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I see the 986F alarm also suggests "Keyless Driving," in their features, and I mentioned I have "Keyless Ignition."

To avoid confusion:
  • I wouldn't personally trust AliExpress products to be responsible for my bike ignition... that's just me, even though "who knows" - some of the OEM parts may have been built in the same factories...
  • So instead, I built my own keyless ignition system from scratch and included "Keyed Override" (key always works even if the keyless completely fails),
  • I suspect the 986F (if it is built like the 886E) would have only ONE relay contact dedicated to ignition anyway and we need at least 2 independent ignition relay circuits on our bikes - I used 3, in order to handle interactions between the proximity box and the ignition relays.

-NSF

·
Registered
951 Posts
I don`t think much of motorcycle alarms . I , on the other hand , believe that a much more effective and reliable way of avoiding stealing the bike , in this case my M109r , is the steering lock . I myself don`t use the steering lock all the time , but if I park the bike and I am not going to have it on my view sight for example , or I have to walk a little farther from it , etc , I 100% put on the steering lock .That would make enormously difficult for a thief to go away with the bike , no matter how he cut tinker with the wires , ignition or whatever … you can`t move the damn thing more that a couple of feet . That would likely result on the bad guy abandoning the job . Same thing with my other bike , The Indian Chieftain and that one has a pretty good alarm system with all the bells and whistles connected to the FOB keyless ignition system , including ignition killer , etc … Nevertheless , I activate the steering lock and that , to me , gives me way more confidence that the super sophisticated factory alarm . That is my personal opinion , of course …

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don`t think much of motorcycle alarms . I , on the other hand , believe that a much more effective and reliable way of avoiding stealing the bike , in this case my M109r , is the steering lock . I myself don`t use the steering lock all the time , but if I park the bike and I am not going to have it on my view sight for example , or I have to walk a little farther from it , etc , I 100% put on the steering lock .That would make enormously difficult for a thief to go away with the bike , no matter how he cut tinker with the wires , ignition or whatever Â… you can`t move the damn thing more that a couple of feet . That would likely result on the bad guy abandoning the job . Same thing with my other bike , The Indian Chieftain and that one has a pretty good alarm system with all the bells and whistles connected to the FOB keyless ignition system , including ignition killer , etc Â… Nevertheless , I activate the steering lock and that , to me , gives me way more confidence that the super sophisticated factory alarm . That is my personal opinion , of course Â…
A bike thief can break the steering lock in a matter of seconds. Also most bike thefts are where they lift the bike up into a truck.

Steering locks, disc locks, alarms are all just deterrents. If they want your bike bad enough they'll get it.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
A bike thief can break the steering lock in a matter of seconds. Also most bike thefts are where they lift the bike up into a truck.

Steering locks, disc locks, alarms are all just deterrents. If they want your bike bad enough they'll get it.
^+1 !

Absolutely.
All our efforts are merely deterrents to try to slow the bad guys down. I have watched countless "non-alarmed" videos of thieves patiently and methodically cranking the steering lock off with their feet and rolling away with their prize - often making more than one approach to do it discretely.

Hard to be discrete however with 2 sirens blasting and your front disc fubar'd. 🙂

Fortunately for us our nearly 800lb bikes also offer a "natural deterrent" to being lifted onto a van.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts