M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Need some help with adding an air pressure gauge to my kewlmetal air ride system. The gauge I have is an air zenith az200k

and I want to hook this up to my air system so I can see what psi or bar it's at.

Anyone got the answer

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
i was going to do this on my air ride, but the logistics of it were a PITA so i just look at my axel nut to exhaust space to judge were i need to be as far as ride height.

what were you wanting to use it for?

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
and also you would want a gauge the reads and operates under 100PSI as the system is a 100PSI max system. i was looking at liqiud filled gauges to absorb the vibs from the beast.

let me know what you come up with as it would still be nice to have this set up on the bike. and is that gauge mechanical or electronic? looks to be the ladder but :dontknow:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The gauge I have is 220psi max and made for air suspension setups. I want it to show me what PSI the system is at, more for show than anything.

·
Registered
111 Posts
So, what's your question, exactly? Sounds like you already purchased the gauge?

Kind of a cool idea. I might buy this when I get my air ride installed.

------------
1)

It appears to be an electronic gauge, so there's no need to have the gauge near the suspension components. You'll just need to find a method of plumbing the pressure sending unit into your air ride system, and how you do so will depend on the design of the sending unit. Do you have any photos? Does it have a threaded connection, or does it use a compression fitting?

I'm not terribly familiar with the Kewlmetal system -- I don't own one -- but since it has a primary and secondary component of the air ride shock, you might want to buy an additional sending unit (giving you two total). The ad says you can use two sensors with a SPDT switch to display both pressures independently using just a single gauge, which would be nifty. Otherwise, I'd put the single sending unit you have on whichever side you're most concerned with -- such as the primary side of the shock if you are mostly concerned with ride height.

I imagine you'd be able to install a T-fitting in the pressure hose between the shock and regulating valve body. I don't know the O.D. of the air lines Kewlmetal uses, but you can quickly measure it with a pair of calipers. You can then buy compression fittings locally or online that handle <400psi -- just like how the hoses are currently connected.

------------
2)

You probably don't want to supply power to the gauge all the time, so you can either install an in-line SPST on/off switch, or otherwise use a switched power source from the bike -- I'd personally prefer the latter. Be sure to incorporate a weatherproof inline fuse as well -- a fairly low-amperage fuse should work (<5 amps) -- you just don't want to start an electrical fire and melt everything if something gets shorted to ground.

------------
3)

All that's left would be figuring out a mounting location, and that's up to personal preference.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wouldn't you need 2 guages for the system? One for the lift side and another for the back pressure side?
Nope. You can use one gauge to display both (independently), but it would require two pressure sending units and a SPDT switch -- as I explained in my previous post.

Sounds like he's only interested in ride-height, so he might get by with just one sensor.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I know it's personal preference but I just pump my ride height up to the top and back pressure it to taste. After a while you just know how long to back pressure and can adjust on the fly.

When I first got the air ride I thought about doing this but I found it un-necessary after riding with it for a while. Of course if you just have to have that blingy gauge...It would be cool!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys that's an amazing amount of great info. Will keep u posted

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,047 Posts
I played around with doing that on mine but it didn't serve any purpose. It's really only accurate when the bike isn't moving. As the movement of the suspension compresses the shock the pressure rises and falls quite a bit. So if you use it to find an optimum ride pressure it's OK, but it fluctuates all over once the bike is in motion.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I just installed the Arnott system on mine and have been toying with the idea of a gauge. My main thought is it would make the adjustment from 1 up riding to 2 up riding quite easy, just pump to a known pressure and you are done. I also think it would be a great tool for detecting leaks in the system.
The main problem I am having is finding an attractive gauge and a place to put it...:dontknow:

·
Registered
1 Posts
gauge

i have the arnotts and are wanting to do the same thing, i want to mount mine on the handle bars but the problem is that they are too big and look crap.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Air zenith make really nice looking fully electric gauge. I was thinking about mounting in above the speedo on the chrome cowl

·
Registered
961 Posts
The problem I would see with the gauge is that it has an alarm (flashing) if the air pressure drops below 110 psi and above 220 psi for 3 mniutes, the recommended max pressure for the Arnott system is 100 psi. Custom Dynamics has a air ride gauge but it's not digital. I don't know what it is for the KewlMetal air ride system.

I just thought I would add to the conversation because I was looking at the Zenith guage also.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Well I got the Arnott gauge and installed it last night. I am pretty happy with it and think it will be quite useful!

Here is a view from the saddle...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts