M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone here verify what, if any, HP gains are with replacing the OEM air filters with K&N SU1806? I've heard throttle response is better, etc. but other than the obviously biased K&N dyno results, are there any real world figures, other than "butt" dyno, to support said HP gain? Tx:p

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Can anyone here verify what, if any, HP gains are with replacing the OEM air filters with K&N SU1806? I've heard throttle response is better, etc. but other than the obviously biased K&N dyno results, are there any real world figures, other than "butt" dyno, to support said HP gain? Tx:p
I'm looking around but here is K&N's history. Some neat stuff. Increasing airflow in and out of any engine does increase HP. More air more power, Not sure of an exact HP increase though.
http://www.aptfast.com/kn_additional_stuff/KN_airfilter_facts.htm

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
You probably won't see any gain by adding the filters alone. In order to take advantage of the additional flow of air in, you need two more things to happen; you need to increase the fuel mixture (which on the stock machine is already too lean), and you need to increase the exhaust flow. THIS is when you'll realize a difference.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx guys, I'll probably wait until I need to replace the stock filter and switch to K&N, maybe debaffle as well.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Butt dyno

I wouldn't dimisss others reports of butt dyno increases from air mods, especially air intake/baffle, timing retard eliminator, fuel mgmt combos, even if peak hp numbers don't show much increase. The range we normally ride in is what counts to most riders. An increase in take off torque, and mid range power will feel mighty satisfying from DIY mods. Increasing rideability, sound, and eliminating the on/off feel (jerkiness) of the stock bike alone are worth it.
If you want to lower your ETs at the track by much more a a fraction of a second, you'll need Nitrous, a turbo, and internal mods.
K and N makes it sound like their filters give you 25 hp by themselves. Good advertising hype, but not really accurate.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I wouldn't dimisss others reports of butt dyno increases from air mods, especially air intake/baffle, timing retard eliminator, fuel mgmt combos, even if peak hp numbers don't show much increase. The range we normally ride in is what counts to most riders. An increase in take off torque, and mid range power will feel mighty satisfying from DIY mods. Increasing rideability, sound, and eliminating the on/off feel (jerkiness) of the stock bike alone are worth it.
If you want to lower your ETs at the track by much more a a fraction of a second, you'll need Nitrous, a turbo, and internal mods.
K and N makes it sound like their filters give you 25 hp by themselves. Good advertising hype, but not really accurate.
Heck I would settle for a real 5hp gain, just from changing out a simple part LOL

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Exactly why I don't place much belief in anything K&N publishes. Truly a self-serving corporate endeavor meant to sell more intakes. As previous posters have mentioned, I'll need to do at least fuel, exhaust and air mods to have any concrete hp gains.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
You'll notice a bigger increase in "seat-of-the-pants" dyno just by riding on a cooler day than you would get from K&N's. Personally, I would save the money to go big on the air intake mod at a later date. At least you will get an air intake "growl" when you open the throttle.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hey Buddy,
You will definately have to get some pipes, fuel management along with the K&Ns...and will need to either open up the intakes with some Duck's or some other aftermarket hi-flow intake. THEN YOU WILL FEEL AND HEAR SOME POWER. It really is the joy of ownership...making it yours with your modes.
Saskatoon has snow....hows it there?

Dave

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
I think DLP or Lamonster did a dyno pull and they saw a 5-7 HP gain. I think this was back in 06.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,090 Posts
I think DLP or Lamonster did a dyno pull and they saw a 5-7 HP gain. I think this was back in 06.
I remember that posting too. Hal tested that and several different exhaust systems. But the K&N was tested alone and showed around a 5 hp gain.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Just curious

What do you figure a TRE gave us in a HP increase? I know it just gets the power that should be there, Hadn't Suzuki put the retard on it for emissions. Do you think getting that unused power is worth another 5 hp or more?

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
What do you figure a TRE gave us in a HP increase? I know it just gets the power that should be there, Hadn't Suzuki put the retard on it for emissions. Do you think getting that unused power is worth another 5 hp or more?
OK I will just assume it's a 5 hp increase, Will add that into my dyno run.............

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,090 Posts
Keep in mind the TRE only adds anything to the lower 3 gears, and only at low to mid range revs. At higher rpms the engine still uses the full timing available. I'm not sure what rpm that is.

So the only hp increase you see with a TRE is in the ranges where it is actually affecting the timing. And of course it removes the limiter in 5th that limits top speeds.

Here's some actual dyno numbers for a TRE for you to look at. It does add something.
http://www.jsdproducts.com/Product_Info/JSD-3M/jsd-3m.html

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Keep in mind the TRE only adds anything to the lower 3 gears, and only at low to mid range revs. At higher rpms the engine still uses the full timing available. I'm not sure what rpm that is.

So the only hp increase you see with a TRE is in the ranges where it is actually affecting the timing. And of course it removes the limiter in 5th that limits top speeds.

Here's some actual dyno numbers for a TRE for you to look at. It does add something.
http://www.jsdproducts.com/Product_Info/JSD-3M/jsd-3m.html
Thanks Zoom, disregard the PM I just sent ya LOL

Looks like about 7 hp gain, That will work.......

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
If you want any real gains...you will have to increase air in,air out and a better air/fuel mixture throughout the rpm range. You can easily spend fifteen hundred to two grand for little more then 10% increase in HP & TQ depending on how you want it to look and what intake,exhaust and fuel control system you invest in and pick up maybe a few tenths to half second in a quarter mile run. The good news is you could spend less and it will still run better then when you bought it. Choose your poison carefully :D

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
for anyone else wondering..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts