M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any one with K&N filters in their stock housings that when installed, noticed the crank case oil smell, when, after riding at highway speeds, then smell is noticed at idle. I never had a puking issue and all the hoses are connected correctly to the air box. the crankcase does vent into the air filter housing. P.S. the stock filter media is thicker then the K&Ns, thinking the K&Ns freeflow might let some of the smell out where the stock media never did, what's your thought....Sorry for the bla bla bla:doorag:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
The filter has nothing to do with the strength of the oil smell. The oil is put into the airbox outside of the filter, not on the engine side. Therefore the filter is not part of the problem. Sometimes if the air is stagnant around the bike due to no wind, the smell can be more over-powering than when the wind clears it all out. When running in the garage I notice it much more than when outside.

Anyhow, I mounted a small bottle under the left rear engine cover, and routed the crankcase vent hose to this, with a second hose to allow the vapors to go away. This prevents the engine injesting oil vapors, keeps the air filter cleaner, and prevents unsightly oil runs down the side of the bike. So far I have not had to dump this bottle in the two years it has been down there.

Any old bottle will work, just not too big. Put two holes in the top, one for the crankcase vent hose, and the other to allow it to breath. I do not have a filter on this unit, as the hose is pretty long and all uphill. Tie-wrap said bottle to something under the cover and be done with it. I had to cut a small piece of the engine cover away near the oil filler cap for the hose to pass through. On the 06 this cover is plastic and cuts with an X-Acto knife. On 07s and up you will need to use a grinder or sanding wheel as the cover is metal.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The filter has nothing to do with the strength of the oil smell. The oil is put into the airbox outside of the filter, not on the engine side. Therefore the filter is not part of the problem. Sometimes if the air is stagnant around the bike due to no wind, the smell can be more over-powering than when the wind clears it all out. When running in the garage I notice it much more than when outside.

Anyhow, I mounted a small bottle under the left rear engine cover, and routed the crankcase vent hose to this, with a second hose to allow the vapors to go away. This prevents the engine injesting oil vapors, keeps the air filter cleaner, and prevents unsightly oil runs down the side of the bike. So far I have not had to dump this bottle in the two years it has been down there.

Any old bottle will work, just not too big. Put two holes in the top, one for the crankcase vent hose, and the other to allow it to breath. I do not have a filter on this unit, as the hose is pretty long and all uphill. Tie-wrap said bottle to something under the cover and be done with it. I had to cut a small piece of the engine cover away near the oil filler cap for the hose to pass through. On the 06 this cover is plastic and cuts with an X-Acto knife. On 07s and up you will need to use a grinder or sanding wheel as the cover is metal.
sounds like a great idea, but the smell started shortly after the k&ns were installed, never had a oil problem, since, I put 3400ml only in it, and did not have the smell with the stock filter inserts in, changed them to k&ns at 3500 miles. thank you for the reply

·
Registered
2,313 Posts

Um, you are off on a few things there.

The crank case breather tube goes directly to the air box on the motor side of the filter.

See part number 47

If your breather were on the other side of the filters, you would be letting unfiltered air directly into your crank case, which happens to be exactly what you are doing with your bottle catch-can with no filter.

Add a small breather filter to the end of your catch-can system and you will be fine, but without any filter, you are asking for trouble you may eventually find when too much dust get directly into your oil.

To the OP:
The filter change could be causing you to pick up a puke issue. Mine did when I went to free flowing intakes.

So, I removed the crank case line from the air box, plugged that hole in the air box, and added a crank case breather filter/ oil catch.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
The first tme my bike ever puked was about 1500 miles after an oil change when I went to the K&Ns :eek: That was wierd ...I'm thinking more air flow = more vacume on the case vent:dontknow:

Then another time after about 3k miles post oil change I had a 600 mile day where I was crankin a lot triple digit speed and consistant 85 MPH plus. and :barf:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BUMP:bigthumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts