M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed K&N air filters at 11K miles and bike mileage is 60K miles, after 8 years.

On the K&N website it's stated that they should last 10 years/a million mile, nevertheless I wanted to check this here on the board. The filters were serviced by my mechanic quite regularly and now I'm going to purchase the K&N cleaning kit to clean them myself (I'm having oil puke now).

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,524 Posts
I installed K&N air filters at 11K miles and bike mileage is 60K miles, after 8 years.

On the K&N website it's stated that they should last 10 years/a million mile, nevertheless I wanted to check this here on the board. The filters were serviced by my mechanic quite regularly and now I'm going to purchase the K&N cleaning kit to clean them myself (I'm having oil puke now).

Thanks folks.
Cleaning them by yourself will definitely save you some
money you paid to do it to others, but from what I have
read on this forum oil puke was so far by overfilling with
oil as you well know...
Also, maybe reading this 11 yrs. old thread will put some
light in your problem...:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
I have a K&N filter in my truck that is going on 30 years old and it's still in good shape. And that's at least 250,000 miles with a lot more air flowing through it. I've had the same filter on the last 3 trucks since they all took the same panel filter.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have had K&N in everything since the early 90s, ALL MY FORDS and my M109 never ever had to replace anything just clean & lub as per directions!

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I have had K&N in everything since the early 90s, ALL MY FORDS and my M109 never ever had to replace anything just clean & lube as per directions!
Me as well. But the only thing I've found is they never look as red as when they are new. Clean them and re-oil them, they don't look near as good as they first did. My Lightning, Mustang, and Ranger all have cone style K & N filters, and cold air tubes feeding them. My M109R has the LA Choppers filters. My B-King is in the shop now for recall and new tires, and also not running. Having them put a K & N filter in it while it's there.

Also, the oil puke will stop as soon as you get a new intake set up. While overfilling it is part of the problem, it's not the only reason it happens. The oil vent tubes are located in the airbox in an area of high vacuum at large throttle openings. So essentially, the oil is actually being sucked into the airboxs due to the location. I routed my oil vent tubes to a catch bottle years ago. I run a full four quarts every time I change oil. Bottle has never had a drop of oil in it in the ten years it's been on the bike.

Reactions: Zoom

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
Also, the oil puke will stop as soon as you get a new intake set up. While overfilling it is part of the problem, it's not the only reason it happens. The oil vent tubes are located in the airbox in an area of high vacuum at large throttle openings. So essentially, the oil is actually being sucked into the airboxs due to the location. I routed my oil vent tubes to a catch bottle years ago. I run a full four quarts every time I change oil. Bottle has never had a drop of oil in it in the ten years it's been on the bike.
That's been my thoughts for a long time. The stock filters are pretty restrictive and there has to be some vacuum created once they start getting dirty. And if you've had the K&N replacement filters, you've probably noticed the oil disappears off them pretty quickly. Once I changed to a much more open style filter, mine stay red until I clean and oil them again maybe a year later. I've actually never seen them go to an almost white even when going longer than a year without cleaning and reoiling. And mine's never puked, with the 4 quarts same as you do. I do make sure to tip the bike back and forth several times and let it drain for probably an hour total.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Yeah, the LA Choppers filters, after I clean and re-oil them, then go out and ride FAST, I get oil streaks along the side of the bike behind the filters. And that's after letting the oil wick overnight before putting them back on the bike.

Those stock filters are teeny tiny for an 1800 cc motor. That was my first thought when I saw them the first time. Then the oil vent tubes located behind the filters. Just riding around town, it's not an issue. But when the throttle is open wide, it creates a suction behind the filters and literally sucks the oil out of the vent tubes. Mine only puked once, after the dealer 600 mile service, on a long ride where some high speed happened. I changed to the Edelbrocks not long after that, in late 2006. Never had an oil puke problem again. I just decided in 2010, to go ahead and make a catch bottle and eliminate any possibility of it happening again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts