• Only if the biker dies

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/2006/CAlaw.asp

Seems California is working on trying to bring stiffer fines to cage/bike accidents. Personally I think a higher level of education is needed nation wide for drivers to be more alert for bikes...period. There also needs to be more strengent punishment of offences toward bikers by cagers..."I didn't see him" should not be a defence, it should be a conviction :verymad: JMHO.

Devilish

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The people making the laws are for the most part cagers themselves so I really don't see them passing laws that will get them in trouble if they do something stupid.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The problem is also in the motorcycle community. How many times have you been driving (or riding for that matter) and some schmuck on a sportbike thinks he can pass every car, motorcycle, van and truck with no concern to the havoc he is creating behind him. I agree, education is definately needed, but it should be the education of all involved. Stiffer penalties for cagers would be nice, but until the fines get increased for boneheaded (no pun on you bonehead) riders who think they are above the laws of the road.

Keep the rubber side down and be safe.
:cop: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
532 Posts
The CHP in San Diego has started getting more strict on offenses that involve cages and bikes. And also one really good thing is that the state is passing a law prohibiting cell phone use while driving. Of course that one doesn't actually take effect until 2008.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
eire1965 said:
The CHP in San Diego has started getting more strict on offenses that involve cages and bikes. And also one really good thing is that the state is passing a law prohibiting cell phone use while driving. Of course that one doesn't actually take effect until 2008.
Texas already has such a law in effect Eire.. lets just say I hope Cali enforces thiers a bit better.. Every cop, sherrif and state trooper in Texas would have to be cited if the law was actually being enforced. The only time they bother to cite you for it is if they have proof you were on the phone while committing another violations.. As in, had an accident while on the phone, ran a red light or had an accident while on the phone.

Personally wish they'd enforce it.. but doubt they're going to.

·
Registered
80 Posts
As a retired nyc police officer I have seen many cagers blabbing on the phone and nys does have a hands free only cell phone law which dont stop the cagers anyway.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
If they at least used a hands free phone it would be better, because its just like talking to antoher person in the cage.

(plus it would not be so obvios when I am talking to myself while driving)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i think this is an important subject. cars that have accidents and hit pedestrians are subject to involuntary manslaughter, etc. i think we should be afforded a similar case. i honestly believe laws like these would be the only way to make cagers pay more attention.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
M109LOVER said:
If they at least used a hands free phone it would be better, because its just like talking to antoher person in the cage.

(plus it would not be so obvios when I am talking to myself while driving)
Actually, the tests I've seen (granted it was Mythbusters), they found that all their subjects drove better when legally DRUNK than they did talking on a cell phone even WITH a hands free device. Plain and simple, 99% of human beings (myself included) drive worse on the phone than not.. Its the major reason why I refuse to answer my phone while driving.. thats what voice mail is for anyway!

·
Registered
765 Posts
DaltonH said:
Actually, the tests I've seen (granted it was Mythbusters), they found that all their subjects drove better when legally DRUNK than they did talking on a cell phone even WITH a hands free device. Plain and simple, 99% of human beings (myself included) drive worse on the phone than not.. Its the major reason why I refuse to answer my phone while driving.. thats what voice mail is for anyway!
I saw that episode of mythbusters. They drove just as bad with hands free cell phones. It has to do with your thought processes not with how well your holding the steering wheel. By the way, most cell phone laws have exceptions for law enforcement. Officers already deal with radios, mobile data terminals, and watching for things while driving. Talking on a cell phone makes no difference. Also people would go ape @#[email protected]# if they had to wait for an officer to find a phone or pull over to call them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts