M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long story short i was waiting for the fuel light to go solid. but it never did and i was in the mountains so i pulled over in alpine wyoming to get fuel. then went on up to jackson hole wyoming and back home. all and all very impressed with this bike. and those poor harleys that were following me...well lets say i had to slow down on the straights after all the twistys for them to catch up. :D :D poor guys. hhmmmm now if i just had that 280 metz.. :D

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
wow, must have been downhill with 100mph tailwind. Most I've ever gotten out of mine is 172 miles on a tank. Averages 150. Congrats. :bigthumbsup: wish i could get some of that

·
Registered
665 Posts
Lamont,if mine made it to 200. I "would be pushing===it :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
i've never gotten that many miles on a tank of gas... :eek:
my fuel light goes solid at around 130 miles... :redfaced:

but i like twisting on the right grip alotttt   :D

tc

·
Registered
71 Posts
right at about 110 miles a tank here..there has to be something wrong with my bike :D note to self.......SLOW DOWN

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BlkM109r said:
wow, must have been downhill with 100mph tailwind. Most I've ever gotten out of mine is 172 miles on a tank. Averages 150. Congrats. :bigthumbsup: wish i could get some of that
as far as down hill.....well you have to go up it too. this is idaho and nothing is really flat. around here. and the wind was in my face at my side but never a tail wind. THAT SUCKED. especially seams that when the light started to flash i still had 20 miles to go before we got to a fuel staion. oh and the speed was aver. 70mph. i was riding with harley so i had to keep it slow for them :D :D

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lamonster said:
I'm disapointed in you, you should have pushed it over 200. :evil:
i wanted to see how far i could go for the fuel light to go solid but the next station was about 60miles away. and i dont think a half gallon would make it. i was sweating to get to this staion. the light had been blinking for 20 miles.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thats 42.8 MPG. I have NEVER got worse than 44 MPG and best was 50.65 MPG. This is through mountains and on the throttle. I filled today at 169 miles with 3.59 galls giving 47.07 MPG.

Is it because I am riding at altitude between 5200 and 10000 feet?? The same ride that I got 50.65 my buddy was on his VTX1800 and got 32MPG and another buddy on a Yamaha FZ1 sportbike (2002) got 51.6 MPG. We were hitting all of the twisties and giving it throttle too.

I love this bike!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Is this imperial or US gallons? Best I've done is about 185 and the tank was almost dry 1/2 litre left. I average 43 or so MPG imperial. That'd be 45 or so US MPG if I did muh math right.
Dave

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
this is U.S. i live in Idaho. the elevation is around 4700. feet. and now i will try to get better milage. my brother in law was saying that he made 356 miles on a tank on his harley. i said no way.. i will watch him alot closer on the next fill. oh his tank takes 5.2 gallons also.

·
Registered
386 Posts
PretentiousBastage said:
Is this imperial or US gallons? Best I've done is about 185 and the tank was almost dry 1/2 litre left. I average 43 or so MPG imperial. That'd be 45 or so US MPG if I did muh math right.
Dave
You need to sharpen up on your Math...
1 US gal = 0.8327 Imperial gal
1 Imperial gallon = 4.5461 litres
1 US gallon = 3.785 litres

Therefore 43 Imperial Gallons :read: = 51.64 US Gallons which is good MPG! The best I have got is 50.61 mpg (US Galls) on a long ride.

On the Idaho Harley... 356 miles on a tank full :confused:- Lets say .2 galls left in the 5.2 gall tank would be (356 / 5 galls) 71.2 mpg so he probably started at the top of Everest and cruised downhill in neutral to the sea!!! ::)

Could also be the Harley odometer is out even more than ours!!!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
there's no way. at altitude, you are producing less hp than other folks, therefore getting worse gas mileage. you must be babying that thing, and turning the bike off to coast down the mountains after peak :p.

·
Registered
386 Posts
phaed said:
there's no way. at altitude, you are producing less hp than other folks, therefore getting worse gas mileage. you must be babying that thing, and turning the bike off to coast down the mountains after peak :p.
There's a question... At Altitude we produce less hp - true.
However, if we produce less HP at altitude wouldn't we use less gas??? Also, the air is thinner giving less resistance... Just try hitting a golf ball up at 7000 ft - It makes you feel like superman - 350 - 400 yds no problem and I don't even play golf, just go to the driving ranges.

So the question is:
Is it the altitude that I ride at ( 5000 -9000 ft) that gives me an average of 44 - 50mpg which even with the incorrect odometer calibration, is still better than most are getting, or is my bike just an efficient one.

As for driving style, I would consider I drive harder than average. Riding with my son on his Yamaha R6 recently, we rode 292 miles, pushing it most of the way and I used 6.31 galls (46.27 mpg) and he used 6.13 galls ( 47.63 mpg). Most of the riding was between 5000 ft and 9000 ft with some blasts down in the valley ( 1000 ft ).
Man you can feel the power difference down there!!!

It was interesting tough that when pinning the throttle at about 1000ft it was showing about 125mph as max speed and at the top of Monitor Pass it pulled 130mph ( on the speedometer!!) so even though it makes less power, the thin air allowed it to pull a higher speed.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Almost everytime I get  around 250km before the fuel light starts flashing (that is a tad over 16 litres of fuel). I'm sure I would get more on a trip without too much heavy handed acceleration. (I think that is 36.75m/USg and about 155miles)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wow i thought this thread would be long gone after hearing what you guys are getting i thought i was getting good fuel milage. still average about 160 before light starts flashing. and i am always on the throttle. i need to learn to chill the harley guys dont like it when i dont play nice. ::)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts