M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my local Victory dealer had a demo day, they brought in a 18 wheeler full of Victory motorcycles and allowed anyone with a motorcycle endorsement to take any bike out for about a 30 min test ride. My buddy rides a stratorliner 1900 I of course ride the 109. So he jumped on the new cross country and I grabbed the only Victory I ever really liked the Hammer. The road captain was a great guide he took us through back roads and twisties the only rule was not to pass him no burnouts or wheelies and this guy was moving. But on to what I thought about the hammer, it looked great and sounded great with the stage 2 upgrade, the demo guy said it rated about 97 hp, it felt like 70 hp to me. I did not like the way it felt seating on top of the bike and not in it. It handled the turns similar to the 109 with the 240 on the rear. But if felt way under powered compared to the 9. My buddy was a huge fan of the cross country until he road it, same thing $18,000 for much less power not a smart trade off. I did leave loving the 109 more then I did before riding the hammer. The Moral of the story is that sometimes you have to ride another mount to appreciate the one you have at home. :joke:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thats kind of disappointing to hear. I like the Hammer and Hammer S, a lot. Great looking bike. It looks similar to the 9, but with a better build quality. Oh well, I never planned on buying one, but I've sat on a couple and I didnt hate it.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
i attended one like that last year in merrillville, in. i agree with you 100% on the feel of the ride and lack of power. i guess coming from the 109 you really get accustomed to the torque. the victory's look nice but leave you wanting for more. you're absolutely right, sometimes you have to jump on another horse to really appreciate the one you ride everyday. :bigthumbsup:

on a side note mojo, hopefully the weather gets nice next week for the bike night in portage. let me know if you will be able to attend. we can swap info. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yup. Rented a nice new 2010 Street Glide in Vegas a few weeks ago. Had some cool features, but all in all, I was not impressed. Took my 9 out last Sunday and reaffirmed my love for this bike.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i attended one like that last year in merrillville, in. i agree with you 100% on the feel of the ride and lack of power. i guess coming from the 109 you really get accustomed to the torque. the victory's look nice but leave you wanting for more. you're absolutely right, sometimes you have to jump on another horse to really appreciate the one you ride everyday. :bigthumbsup:

on a side note mojo, hopefully the weather gets nice next week for the bike night in portage. let me know if you will be able to attend. we can swap info. :bigthumbsup:
I am looking forward to next week as well, we are planning on heading to Portage next week. It should turn out to be a blast. It was in Merrillville that I rode the Hammer yesterday did you stop by at all. They were there Monday and Tuesday

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
109 power!

I like the "look" of a lot of bikes myself, but they're all at a big disadvantage compared to the 109. After you've ridden them for awhile, the lack of thrust becomes apparent. It's better than walking, but almost as boring.
I really got bored with my 1500 Intruder, nice bike, but it just didn't pull like I wanted. It was exactly as fast as both my buddies 88 cubic inch Harleys even though it was heavier. Not a bikes length difference. I rode my brothers new Road King, same deal, no arm stretching acceleration like the 109. Especially after a few mods.
I just can't see me trading down in power for more money. It's not that I want to beat anyone in a race, I just like the way it feels when I hit it.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Yesterday my local Victory dealer had a demo day, they brought in a 18 wheeler full of Victory motorcycles and allowed anyone with a motorcycle endorsement to take any bike out for about a 30 min test ride. My buddy rides a stratorliner 1900 I of course ride the 109. So he jumped on the new cross country and I grabbed the only Victory I ever really liked the Hammer. The road captain was a great guide he took us through back roads and twisties the only rule was not to pass him no burnouts or wheelies and this guy was moving. But on to what I thought about the hammer, it looked great and sounded great with the stage 2 upgrade, the demo guy said it rated about 97 hp, it felt like 70 hp to me. I did not like the way it felt seating on top of the bike and not in it. It handled the turns similar to the 109 with the 240 on the rear. But if felt way under powered compared to the 9. My buddy was a huge fan of the cross country until he road it, same thing $18,000 for much less power not a smart trade off. I did leave loving the 109 more then I did before riding the hammer. The Moral of the story is that sometimes you have to ride another mount to appreciate the one you have at home. :joke:
my GF has told me that that holds true to the bike ONLY!!! :joke::joke:

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
I am looking forward to next week as well, we are planning on heading to Portage next week. It should turn out to be a blast. It was in Merrillville that I rode the Hammer yesterday did you stop by at all. They were there Monday and Tuesday
no, i missed it. i didn't know it was going on. in fact, last year i sort of stumbled upon it as well. i was out riding with some friends and happened to be riding past the dealer when we saw the victory truck and their setup.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my GF has told me that that holds true to the bike ONLY!!! :joke::joke:
Funny when I wrote that line, I was hoping the wife was not looking over my shoulder otherwise that line would have been deleted LOL :joke:

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Funny when I wrote that line, I was hoping the wife was not looking over my shoulder otherwise that line would have been deleted LOL :joke:
Now, that is FUNNY, ROFLMAO!!!!:bigthumbsup::doorag::D

·
Registered
55 Posts
A good friend I ride with on a regular basis has a victory hammer. We swapped bikes a few times. I didn't like how narrow the foot controls felt in comparison to the 109. Similar size bike but totally uncomfortable... but I am 6'5". As far as quality... the 109 wins. He has had some pretty serious electrical issues and tuning problems... also poor fitment and finish of the plastic fairings on the back. with half the mileage that I have it has had significantly more problems. Now I think about it... I've had zero problems. Not really woth the pricetag IMHO... but to each his own.

·
Registered
190 Posts
He has had some pretty serious electrical issues and tuning problems... also poor fitment and finish of the plastic fairings on the back. with half the mileage that I have it has had significantly more problems. Now I think about it... I've had zero problems. Not really woth the pricetag IMHO... but to each his own.
All those problems, yet Victory stands behind their warranty. You may not of had any problems with your bike, but peace of mind goes a long way knowing the manufacturer will stand behind their product for five years; not laugh at your one year or extended warranty and say it was your fault.

·
Registered
893 Posts
The Moral of the story is that sometimes you have to ride another mount to appreciate the one you have at home. :joke:[/QUOTE]

Wonder if that was Tiger's thought process - over-over-over and over. LOL

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I love the looks of the Hammer, but I haven't ridden one yet. I plan to soon though. The wifey-poo has already given approval for me to get one with one stipulation; I'd have to sell the 9. If the Hammer is down that much on power, I wouldn't be willing to part with the 9 to get one. Now if I could just convince congress to let me get a Hammer in addition to the 9.....

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Nice write up review Mojo! I have been previously interested in both the Hammer S and intrigued by the Cross Country. If money grew on trees I'd like to keep my M109 AND purchase a good touring bagger like the Cross Country. I heard that the Hammer handles well but I didn't realize it would feel so underpowered.

Your right though the whole "The grass is greener on the other side" feeling about all these other bikes you see ususally isn't true. And the good thing is that you appreciate what you got more once you really check them out. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
608 Posts
I rode my buddy's C90 the other day. His bike has only 6,000 miles (My M90 has 7,500) but his bike felt like an old bike. It rode very rough - almost like the tires were unbalanced. It was much slower than the M90 and the handling was very heavy - not nimble at all. The floorboards were comfortable, though...

I'm going to hook up my buddy with some dyna beads to see if that helps...

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yeah, my girlfriend said... oh wait... here comes the wifey... "Click".. Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!! :duck:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts