M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time JR makes a change to his 109, I take it for a spin.....and each time it's faster than before.....and stock is too fast for me !

This time was no exception.....the only difference was it also "handled" better !

He put his 280 tire on this morning.....and, of course, being taller adds some top end, but the way it sits on the rim, it allows for better cornering.

The guy who mounted it said his balancer wouldn't do a tire that big, so JR rode to a Suzuki dealer to get it balanced, and, of course, told the guy about the concerns about the tire, mentioned on the internet.

The dealer said it was no problem, they do it all the time to other bikes, and would he like to go to a 300 ! JR said....."Next time."

The 280 is about 11 inches wide and looks great !

I'm sure JR will post here, when he gets done with his Honey Dos.

But, I gotta tell ya.....it's CRAZY FAST !!!

·
Registered
890 Posts
JR'sDAd,
AHA...fathers and sons...I get a kick out of every one of your posts. I look forward to the pics as well, but your descriptions bring your excursions to life. You guys are part of what makes this a great place to visit and learn. Keep bringing the mods update news...and having a great time together :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

Ride Safe

Devilish

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Folks:

If my memory serves me right the idea of mounting a 280 to the stock rim was joec's, who had his A$$ handed to him for even suggesting it could be done! I also recall that JR did come to Joe's defense so I think it's great that a "real wrencher" has stepped forward and confirmed what joec did is acceptable. I'm sure that if there is anyone that can test the concept/limits of the 280 on a 8.5 inch rim, JR is just the man for the job :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

P.S. I also recall that there are a few folks out there who still have some crow to eat on the issue :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I'm a little confused about something. Do you also have an M109R? Or do you just get to ride JR's? I don't recall if you've ever said if you've got one too or not. If so, why doesn't JR make yours faster too? :D :doorag:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No 109 for me.....since my accident, I've needed something lower and lighter.

Got a Honda Shadow Spirit and it may the most comfortable bike I've ever owned.

JR researched stock bikes with the lowest seat to ground clearance, while I was still recoperating.....and that was it (at the time)

I don't know if there's a lower one now, but I'm as happy as a clam with this one.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
JRs DAD said:
No 109 for me.....since my accident, I've needed something lower and lighter.

Got a Honda Shadow Spirit and it may the most comfortable bike I've ever owned.

JR researched stock bikes with the lowest seat to ground clearance, while I was still recoperating.....and that was it (at the time)

I don't know if there's a lower one now, but I'm as happy as a clam with this one.
OK thanks. Is your Spirit the 1100cc or the 750cc model?
:bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
330 Posts
hey jr did you ride in the rain at all with that tire? just curious on how it handled???? now i cant wait to get one on my bike.. time to look for that second job. well at least all these mods are cheaper than the stuff for my sports car... yepeee.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
JRs DAD said:
Every time JR makes a change to his 109, I take it for a spin.....and each time it's faster than before.....and stock is too fast for me !
This reminds me of me & my son. Everytime we make a change, I have my son go for a test spin and report back to me his impressions.

His but is more sensetive than mine, I used to work for a major corporation in STL and over the years received a lot of scar tissue!

We find ourselves colaberating on the bike which gives time together. :p :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

Chuck

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
J R said:
Dont be a puss :joke: Youll thank yourself later for doing it :D Joe C has been running around with a 300 but he has told me its not any wider then the 280 on the stock rim and not worth it but has done it just to prove it aint gonna pop off the rim ::) ::) ::) ( He also races and comes from a background of fabracating )I went wide ass open several times today in 5th even did some real real hard cornering and a bunch of wheelies and marked the tire before I left my buddys shop to see if I could make it move and it didnt move even a thousands of an inch. Its as safe as the 240 and a WAY better quality tire then the stocker dunslop ..............
JR:

I've got a Dunnie 250/40 R-18 on back order for several months and that thing is getting cancelled after the holiday. Going to get a credit and apply it to a 280 and be done with it! I think our friend joec should throw his chest out and be very proud! In my opinion he deserves the " Brass Balls Award" for having the courage to "step out of the box". He's a "class act dude" who stuck to his guns when the nay sayers tried to remove his hide. If you can get us a few more angled side profile pics of the tire it would be great. Thanks

bob109

P.S. for joec :) :) :) :) :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Way 2 go Jr.....Cool as h..e.. double hockey sticks.. :bigthumbsup: ... :super: your my hero.....

p.s Yep, I still have the 9er.and gettin the tank fixed this week.. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Lamonster said:
Glad it's working out for you. :doorag: I still think it's a bad idea but I'm selling wheels right. ;)
Lamont:

There is still going to be a good market for the wheel kit:

1. It is a first class product that will give the 109 a combination look of big tire/big deep wheel.

2. As the number of wheel designs increase for the replicator hub so will the sales. People want something different. You have the perfect product that offers change!

3. The 10 inch rim is the right width for a 300 and you know darn well folks are going to want the biggest. With the wheel and hub already available the first step in the equation is done.

4. Lastly there are folks who simply could never afford the kit. For them there is a alternative. For those that can spring the $$$ those kit already have names/buyers on them.

Both you and Hal are "first class" folks and you will have success with the "first class products" you make available through DLP!

Respectfully

bob109

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
ok, I'm sold that the 280 would work, but my problem is finding somebody to mount it. i've already been told by the dealers that they won't mount tires that you bring in, only if you bought it there (for $100 more than Hal's!). They said that it was decided by the Okla. Dealer's Assoc. because somebody mounted an internet tire, it blew out and almost killed a guy and he sued the dealer, not the place that he bought the tire. No way in hell i'll be able to get them to mount an oversize tire.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts