M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just moved to Austin from the Chicago area. Can you share any helpful information about the area. Good service shops? Local rides? BBQ runs!? :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Welcome to Texas your here just in time to make the Kerrville run! Not sure about Austin but you can PM Swatcop he lives in San Antonio and he knows of a real good shop over there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Go to Lockhart about 30 miles away for some good BBQ. Smittys is one of my favorite. Also The Saltlick in Driftwood.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the home of real bbq, and well, variations on pizza. It's been a while, but Hwy 12 around Wimberly used to be a good one. Of course, The Hill Country roads to the west are really good rides. Look up the "Three Sisters". As per above, in October, there will be a 109 gathering there. Don't miss it. For food, ie, BBQ, Lockhart is hard to beat, and The Salt Lick, in Dripping Springs, was covered on Man vs. Food. I have been there a few times- great food! And of course, there is year-round riding in Texas.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey welcome to the LONESTAR! there is a place in Smithville,Tx about 40 miles east of you on hwy 71 called Zimmerhalmels (my spelling may be off) however the bbq is the BOMB!!!! :hot: and besides that its a beautiful ride to get there.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Not only is Stubbs a great place to eat, they also host a ton of live music there. Austin is such a great place in general but as far as riding goes - I would head up to Lake Travis and go to the Oasis one evening... awesome ride through the hills, reasonable food when you get there, beautiful people everywhere, and the sunset is what draws the crowd. Welcome.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Welcome to the Central Texas area. I can't say that I blame you for leaving Chicago. I was up there a couple of weeks ago and couldn't wait to get back to Texas.
Tsummit is right about going to the Oasis on Lake Travis. Sunset there is a must see. Check out the thread about the Kerrville "Three Sisters" ride in October. Usually around 20-25 riders there. It is a great ride and a lot of fun. Friday evening, we all meet for dinner then head back to the hotel parking lot for a lot of wild stories and 1 man comedy show by Galen.
Ride all day Saturday, then repeat Friday night. We all leave Sunday Morning.
Try to make that ride if you can.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
339 Posts
then head back to the hotel parking lot for a lot of wild stories and 1 man comedy show by Galen.
:bigthumbsup:
That depends on how much booze ya give him....:joke::joke::joke: just incase you dont understand. His sense of humor is alcohol powered...:clap2:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
That depends on how much booze ya give him....:joke::joke::joke: just incase you dont understand. His sense of humor is alcohol powered...:clap2:
Well then, I guess the alcohol will be flowing.:D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome to Austin. There are some great riding areas around here.
I'm somewhat new to Austin myself, but have found a few good rides.

For BBQ, and for a nice ride getting to it, I'd say COOPERS BBQ in Lano is top-notch. My personal favorite.

Pretty much any riding Lake Travis and West is world-class. Maybe we can meet up sometime and go for a ride. There are some nice folks/riders here in town.

I2D / David

1 - 14 of 14 Posts