M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a word...WOW!!! This horn is really loud, best mod yet. And get rynosback's harness; made the install very simple...I put the horn in the headlight necel, easy fit with room to spare. Also if you get the horn from DLP it comes with a wiring kit that includes an inline 20Amp fuse and holder with two red wires coming out each end...perfect for rynosback's harness...which is pretty much plug and play. If you haven't done so yet get the horn and rynosback's harness for easy install, Ryan also provides easy install instructions with pics.:a18:

G

·
In a word...WOW!!! This horn is really loud, best mod yet. And get rynosback's harness; made the install very simple...I put the horn in the headlight necel, easy fit with room to spare. Also if you get the horn from DLP it comes with a wiring kit that includes an inline 20Amp fuse and holder with two red wires coming out each end...perfect for rynosback's harness...which is pretty much plug and play. If you haven't done so yet get the horn and rynosback's harness for easy install, Ryan also provides easy install instructions with pics.:a18:
Do you need to pop the tank, or is all the work done in the headlight nacelle? I.E., are you getting all you power and ground there, or do other wires need run?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you need to pop the tank, or is all the work done in the headlight nacelle? I.E., are you getting all you power and ground there, or do other wires need run?
You will need to remove the tank, upper neck covers, radiator shroud, and the headlight nacellel. You have to connect the harness to the battery, stock horn (for backup), and of course the Stebel horn. Again Ryan's harness is pretty much plug and play. Most of my time was spent removing the afore mentioned items...plastics and tank. Although the tank removal is pretty quick...two connectors and the fuel line (use a rag or t-shirt to catch extra fuel...not much, only a few drops for me), which all disconnect pretty easily.

G

·
You will need to remove the tank, upper neck covers, radiator shroud, and the headlight nacellel. You have to connect the harness to the battery, stock horn (for backup), and of course the Stebel horn. Again Ryan's harness is pretty much plug and play. Most of my time was spent removing the afore mentioned items...plastics and tank. Although the tank removal is pretty quick...two connectors and the fuel line (use a rag or t-shirt to catch extra fuel...not much, only a few drops for me), which all disconnect pretty easily.
Too in depth for me. On my sportbike to make one adjustment to the shock mount takes 3:15 -- 15 minutes for the adjustment, and 3 hours to r&r. Hate it.

Maybe I'lll look at the side bubble just below the seat. That may shorten things a bit. But if you have to get to the stock horn........I dunno if that wiring would be under seat or not.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Too in depth for me. On my sportbike to make one adjustment to the shock mount takes 3:15 -- 15 minutes for the adjustment, and 3 hours to r&r. Hate it.

Maybe I'lll look at the side bubble just below the seat. That may shorten things a bit. But if you have to get to the stock horn........I dunno if that wiring would be under seat or not.
Stock horn is located just behind the radiator on the right side, you don't need to take off the radiator, but may need to lossen the two main bolts a bit if you have big hands.

The whole job is about 45 minutes to an hour, depending on who familiar you are in taking your plastics off. Nonetheless, this is a great mod and a potential life saver when cruising around less aware auto drivers. This mod is well worth the time and effort...the horn is even louder than my wife's Hummer!

·
Registered
960 Posts

I promise you, if you get Ryno's harness, it is easy. Nothing to be intimidated by.

·
Registered
8 Posts
:agree:
Ditto, ryonsback's harness made a WORLD of difference. The instructions were easy to follow and without the harness (which had the exact perfect lengths) it would've taken a lot more work. The harness is in a loom, nice and neat. So glad I bought the harness, do yourself a favor and order it. I'm not technical or mechanical by any shape or form and was able to install it in 1.5 hours using the instructions and harness. Loving my Stebel, safety first !

·
Registered
245 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I'm really interested in buying this Stebel horn from this website below, but can't figure out what mounting bracket to choose. I wanna install it in the headlight nacelle. Links below, you'll see there are many mounting bracket options.

http://www.motoshop.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TTL11135-ATT&Category_Code=&Store_Code=AIM

Mike
I ordered mine from DLP. It came with the L shaped bracket, and they are having a sale for 10% off if you order by Monday or Tuesday.

·
Registered
838 Posts
it's amazing how almost everyone that istalls this horn give close to the same response. I am one of thoe people also. This thing is loud. I loved it when I installed it back in April and I loved it to the day I deployed back in July. I'm going to enjoy it again when I get back.

Let me say this for the ones that have not bought and installed this item. BUY IT!!!! one of the best (if not) items you can purchase. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
I have the magnums on our other 2 bikes. Just waiting on some extra cash to buy one for the 9. I hate the stock sissified horns!!:mad:

·
Banned
15,179 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
i've installed the stebel horn on all of my bikes, keeping the stock horn so both sound when horn button is pushed, incase, the air horn were to fail, then the stock horn would always sound. "cheap insurance" its loud as h e l l and cagers react quickly, HEE HEE HEE:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
539 Posts
The "beefy" 9 deserves better than a scooter horn. The Stebel horn is one of my top mods. I also used Ryans plug and play for a fast and top quality install.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
I'm really interested in buying this Stebel horn from this website below, but can't figure out what mounting bracket to choose. I wanna install it in the headlight nacelle. Links below, you'll see there are many mounting bracket options.

http://www.motoshop.net/mm5/merchan...de=TTL11135-ATT&Category_Code=&Store_Code=AIM

Mike
A bracket is not needed for the headlight bucket, just for installing under the right side cover.

i've installed the stebel horn on all of my bikes, keeping the stock horn so both sound when horn button is pushed, incase, the air horn were to fail, then the stock horn would always sound. "cheap insurance" its loud as h e l l and cagers react quickly, HEE HEE HEE:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:
My harness is configured this way for that exact reason. At least you will get the meep meep when the HOOOONK stops working.

Thanks for the props guys. I really took my time testing it and making sure it worked well.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Man is my air horn getting a workout here

Leaving town stopped at light, I get the green left arrow, lil ol lady on the other side waits till I get halfway through my left turn, and jets right in front of me. Almost got her left rear fender, Well she got da air horn for about 500 feet.

Man I like those horns. Bless her little heart for doing that! They look you right in the eyes and get that look on their face and just gas it, Hmmmmmmmmmmmm never have figured that one out. Spent the day on Camano island and the state park there, What a great day

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
i install my Stebel into the headlight bucket ( with a piece of foam to avoid vibration ) even if i have the new 2010 with the tach in there. A must for our security .... :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
i install my Stebel into the headlight bucket ( with a piece of foam to avoid vibration ) even if i have the new 2010 with the tach in there. A must for our security .... :bigthumbsup:
Good to know that it fits in there with the Tach in there also. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts