M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just hit 10,000mi on my 06 m109r. at this milage what type of things should i start looking out for? how long can i expect my m109 to last, any high milage m109s on here? i think it might be time for some clutch work, just doesnt feel the same as it used to. ???

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

I just hit 14,000 on my 06, and I bought it in april of 08 with 455 miles on it... :bigthumbsup: I know guys that have 30,000 miles on their 9...... SO keep riding!!! ;)

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
If you have not bothered to keep your clutch adjusted properly, it could be fried. Mine is perfectly fine at 14,000.

The only thing I can think of is that dang fuel filter inside the tank. For some reason Suzuki does not mention it anywhere, as needind to be cleaned or replaced. And yet a whole bunch of us here have had to chan ge it because it got clogged up. Prior to changing, the bike runs bad, dies occasionally, and lacks power to accelerate. Once changed it runs like new again.

Other than that, mine has been perfect so far.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Make sure you do the 2 quarter adjustment on the clutch perch.Take two quarters and put them between the handle and the perch and adjust the cable loose enough so they fall out.This is a correct clutch adjustment any tighter and the cable won't last long.And yes change that fuel filter there is a great how to video on here.just do a search.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Currently have a bit over 26K on my '07 and the only work I have had to do is...

Keep clutch cable adjusted properly ( I did do the "bluey fix" about 15K ago and still doing fine)
Replaced Sparkplugs at 7.5K , 15K and 22.5K and will do again at 30K
Checked valve clearance at 15K (was just fine)
Oil & Filter changes every 5K with Mobile 1 synthetic or Amsoil synthetic (which ever I got the better deal on at the time)
Tires as needed (Dunlop Elite 3 250's best bang for the buck on the rear!) now running Avon Storm 160 on the front and have been for about 10K now and still looks like new!

Ride it like I stole it 80% of the time

·
Registered
198 Posts
i would probably do spark plugs and the fuel filter at a minimum for preventative maintenance... thats my plan for when i hit 10k

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have done spark plugs, oil changes, and coolant flush. swapped my gear oil twice now. ill have to look into the fuel filter, is the part expensive? is the job hard to do? im fairly good with fixing things, and i have no intention of ever going to suzuki dealer again. last time i went for them to fix my coolant leak (for the 5 time for the same leak!!!) and they routed my clutch cable wrong, stretched it out!! still waiting for that thing to snap :-\

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
:congrats: I would check the clutch adjustment and check to make sure that the cable is in good shape. 10k is WAY early for a clutch to go bad, unless you are racing it all of the time.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I just hit 20,000 on my 06. I bought it from another guy on this forum and it has not given me any problems. Change the oil, fuel filter and spark plugs and you should be good to go. Riding season is coming to an end quickly so, get out there.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Riding season is coming to an end quickly so, get out there.
:eek: WHAT???? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Dude the good riding season is JUST BEGINNING down here. Sept-Oct-Nov are the best time of the year to ride IMO.

I've only had my 2007 M109 about 9 months and I just turned 9000 miles on it (it had 3000 on it when I bought it used). I still have the orginal plugs in it so I just bought new NGK 8 plugs at lunch today and gonna replace mine this weekend hopefully. Not having any issues but Suzuki says change them at 7,500 miles so I guess I'm overdue. :dontknow: Hope to put another 3000 miles or more on it yet this year.

You can also lube the clutch cable at both ends, as well as lube the kickstand pivot, gear shift pivot, rear brake pivot and then the front break cable.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
i have done spark plugs, oil changes, and coolant flush. swapped my gear oil twice now. ill have to look into the fuel filter, is the part expensive? is the job hard to do? im fairly good with fixing things, and i have no intention of ever going to suzuki dealer again. last time i went for them to fix my coolant leak (for the 5 time for the same leak!!!) and they routed my clutch cable wrong, stretched it out!! still waiting for that thing to snap :-\
Fuel filter is a must even though Suzuki said "it was not intended for replacement" About $50 in this region
Be careful replacing it. If you twist it on holding the filter pouch it will snap the contact to the plastic ring. The dealer gave me a new one but time loss was a bummer for me.

Check hoses and cables for wear. Grit gets between things and grinds holes causing "myterious" perfomance failures. I have found several wire and cable divots that had to be repaired/protected in my lookabout.

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
:eek: WHAT???? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Dude the good riding season is JUST BEGINNING down here. Sept-Oct-Nov are the best time of the year to ride IMO.

I've only had my 2007 M109 about 9 months and I just turned 9000 miles on it (it had 3000 on it when I bought it used). I still have the orginal plugs in it so I just bought new NGK 8 plugs at lunch today and gonna replace mine this weekend hopefully. Not having any issues but Suzuki says change them at 7,500 miles so I guess I'm overdue. :dontknow: Hope to put another 3000 miles or more on it yet this year.

You can also lube the clutch cable at both ends, as well as lube the kickstand pivot, gear shift pivot, rear brake pivot and then the front break cable.
:agree:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
coming up on 20000 for mine , Plugs ,Tires , fluid changes , keep that Clutch lever loose , check your clutch cabe at both ends look for frayed ends , oh yea ride the Crap out of it :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,850 Posts
At 10,000 miles I was wondering when this thing was going to get broke in. I found out that at about 18,000 miles it was still getting smoother and gaining power. At over 20,000 miles it feels about right.

So at 10,000 miles, I'd be thinking about how to put more miles on it. :D

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I currently have almost 18K on my 2K6.
Things which I have been changed on my bike besides tires & fluids
Clutch cable-twice
Clutch basket-compliments of a really good extended warranty
Fuel filter-once

Other than this, the bike has run perfectly.
The fuel filter isn't nearly as hard as I figured that it would be.
It took me a couple of hours, but that's because I had nearly a full tank to deal with and working alone without a work bench just sucks major butt!

I changed it with approx 17K miles and honestly, the bike didn't run this well when it was new....(the dealership installed a new tank and my guess is that they didn't bother attempting to clean it in any way after it had been shipped to them with little/no protection on it. So, I'm guessing that I started out in the negative and just got lucky that it didn't happen long before this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts