M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally wore out the stock Dunnie after 5600 miles and after reading that some of you in here were getting away with the Metz 260 I thought I would give it a shot.   8)

So, the day before yesterday, I had the 260 put on the rear and the Metz 130 put up front and I couldnt be happier!!!  :D  :D  :D  :D

When I left the stealership my bike didn't feel like my bike anymore.   :eek:
The uneveness in the road that seemed to always pull the bike one way or the other... gone  :eek:
Subtle Vibration in the front tire when leaned over in the twisties, gone... In general a smoother ride.  :eek:
But best of all.... cornering!!!  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

My 109 used to take some pressure on the bars to push it through the twisties but now... just the slightest pressure on the bars and over she goes  :bigthumbsup:  :bigthumbsup:  :bigthumbsup:

It really is amazing the difference! I am now having to force myself to be carefull leaning into the corners until I get used to the new feel.

Suzuki did such a great job on the 109 I am not sure why they didnt make these the stock tires, but for those of you coming up on needing a set I HIGHLY recommend the metzelers.

:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Thanks for your feedback. I was considering these tires when the time comes. Now I'm definitely going to do it! :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Chuck said:
Would you automatically replace both th Metz or is it okay to replace only the rear tire??? :doorag:
It's ok as long as the new tire is belted and NOT bias.

·
Registered
254 Posts
JUtah said:
I finally wore out the stock Dunnie after 5600 miles and after reading that some of you in here were getting away with the Metz 260 I thought I would give it a shot. 8)

So, the day before yesterday, I had the 260 put on the rear and the Metz 130 put up front and I couldnt be happier!!! :D :D :D :D

When I left the stealership my bike didn't feel like my bike anymore. :eek:
The uneveness in the road that seemed to always pull the bike one way or the other... gone :eek:
Subtle Vibration in the front tire when leaned over in the twisties, gone... In general a smoother ride. :eek:
But best of all.... cornering!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

My 109 used to take some pressure on the bars to push it through the twisties but now... just the slightest pressure on the bars and over she goes :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

It really is amazing the difference! I am now having to force myself to be carefull leaning into the corners until I get used to the new feel.

Suzuki did such a great job on the 109 I am not sure why they didnt make these the stock tires, but for those of you coming up on needing a set I HIGHLY recommend the metzelers.

:bigthumbsup:
thanx for the great review :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
277 Posts
You've made my mind up, I'm definitely going with the metzlers when the time comes.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chuck said:
Would you automatically replace both th Metz or is it okay to replace only the rear tire??? :doorag:
I replaced them both because the front on my bike had "Bias" on the side... I read several posts / info which said it was a very bad idea to mix Radial and Bias tires. Especially when the rear was radial and the front a bias.

I put 120 miles on them today and the bike just handles the corners so much differently now. A very nice change!! :D

·
Registered
443 Posts
I've run Metzlers on all my bikes (BMW's, Honda's, Kawi's, Yam's, Suzi's, etc) and I gotta tell ya', they are the shyt!! Great feel, control, wear, very predictable. Great, great tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I've had the same Metz setup on my bike now for about six weeks. You hit it right on the head. These tires are much quicker and much more predictable than the stock Dunnies. Your post did make it sound like you thought there might be some risk with the 260, but the Metz 260 is slightly smaller than a Dunnie 260 and is designed to fit the 8.5" stock rim.

Enjoy. They are great tires. I put 300 more miles on mine in the N GA mountains today.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jazzman said:
I've had the same Metz setup on my bike now for about six weeks. You hit it right on the head. These tires are much quicker and much more predictable than the stock Dunnies. Your post did make it sound like you thought there might be some risk with the 260, but the Metz 260 is slightly smaller than a Dunnie 260 and is designed to fit the 8.5" stock rim.

Enjoy. They are great tires. I put 300 more miles on mine in the N GA mountains today.
If I am not mistaken, they are actually a little smaller then the Dunlop 250... by about 1/8". I remember seeing a post somewhere where Hal had listed the tire dimensions for the various tires...

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
gval said:
Did you have to get the tires rebalanced? I have noticed weights on both my wheels.
To be honest I am not sure what they did... :eek: I would have assumed they have to balance the wheels, but for the life of me I cannot find a weight on either the front or rear wheel.

I do know the tires did have a spot marked on them which, according to Metzeler, is the lite spot on the tire to accommodate the valve stem. Is it possible to be perfectly balanced when installed without weights?? Not sure. :redfaced:

I can tell you I had it up to 120 with no vibrations.  :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
JUtah said:
If I am not mistaken, they are actually a little smaller then the Dunlop 250... by about 1/8". I remember seeing a post somewhere where Hal had listed the tire dimensions for the various tires...
no, its bigger than the dunlop 250 and smaller than the dunlop 260.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts