M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 has had a high idle since I've owned it. It idled at around 1800-2000 RPM with either the JSD or the Adaptive Performance TREs I had installed, so I removed them. It still idles high at around 1200 RPM. I've seen this subject discussed in here before and I remember guys saying that there is no manual adjustment for the idle speed, and that the idle speed is electronically controlled.

I just spoke to the previous owner of my bike and he said Ron Wilson from Raw Performance told him there is an idle adjustment screw that's located on the throttle cable wheel where the throttle cables attach near the throttle bodies (it can be seen on the left side behind the left air filter box). There is supposedly a set screw with a lock nut that is used to set the idle speed.

The next time I pull my left side air box off I'm going to check this out. I thought this might be helpful to those of you who are experiencing an out of tolerance idle speed and would like to correct it.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That information is also available in the service manual, under syncronizing the throttle bodies. I believe it's 6-15, but not real sure.
The manual says to to adjust the idle speed, remove the air screws, clean them, and then reinstall them. But that doesn't sound like what Ron Wilson was talking about. From what I understand, there is a set screw with a jam nut that manually changes the position of the shaft that's connected to the throrrle body butterflies. This to me sounds like a more reliable way to adjust the idle speed. I guess I'll find out when I get things apart and am able to physically see what's there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My 9 idled high tried the idle adjustment screw you mentioned, didn't do anything this bike has an idle air control motor that controls idle speed. What I did was get the throttlebodies synced took the idle from 1200+ rpm to 900-1000. Some idle higher than others my buddies idles at 900 steady. Almost forgot if you remove those idle screws you have to have it all re-synced or it will really idle high. God Bless Mack

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 9 idled high tried the idle adjustment screw you mentioned, didn't do anything this bike has an idle air control motor that controls idle speed. What I did was get the throttlebodies synced took the idle from 1200+ rpm to 900-1000. Some idle higher than others my buddies idles at 900 steady. Almost forgot if you remove those idle screws you have to have it all re-synced or it will really idle high. God Bless Mack
Who did you have sync them up and how much did they charge you to do it?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Took it to a local bike shop that I personally know the owner. Charged me $60 would have cost me more to buy the tool to do it so I let him have at it, plus if I wasn't happy I'd take it back. God Bless Mack

1 - 9 of 9 Posts