M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gonna slap'em on tonight after work. any word of wisdom?

I've searched the forum and have found one thread with step by step except for the pics are gone. Seems pretty straight forward (famous last words! :joke:)

any advice is appreciated

·
Registered
791 Posts
Just installed my Avons last weekend. I followed the Kury grip thread too, which helped a bunch.

The instructions that came with the Avons were W E A K! but once you get into it, you can figure out the rest. Make sure you loosen/turn the throttle cable adjustment the right direction :doh:
All in all, It was really pretty easy, even for this non mechanic :bigthumbsup: Be careful with those phillips screws on the throttle housing, They were a bit stubborn to come off.

I used the B gear that came with the grips although it looked like either would work but the B gear looked best.

I also sanded & cleaned the bar (clutch side grip) before putting on their double sided tape.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just installed my Avons last weekend. I followed the Kury grip thread too, which helped a bunch.

The instructions that came with the Avons were W E A K! but once you get into it, you can figure out the rest. Make sure you loosen/turn the throttle cable adjustment the right direction :doh:
All in all, It was really pretty easy, even for this non mechanic :bigthumbsup: Be careful with those phillips screws on the throttle housing, They were a bit stubborn to come off.

I used the B gear that came with the grips although it looked like either would work but the B gear looked best.

I also sanded & cleaned the bar (clutch side grip) before putting on their double sided tape.
Thanks Mojo! I will report back once they are on:bigthumbsup:

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Those look comfy,oh fellow NW 9er...........Came down to seattle today, didnt see ya LOL........

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!! sent me the wrong parts!!

so I finally get some time and get in the garage. I rip apart the starter assembly, undo the throttle cable and all only to find that the cam supplied isn't supposed to be 'glued' as the directions state but that it is supposed to go over the teeth pf the grip!!!! needless to say that after 2 hours of reading and re-reading the directions I reassembled everything back to stock and dragged my sorry arse back in the garage! Ken - we were right in thinking something didnt make sense!

I absolutely HATE stupid SOB's who don't give 2 chitz when they pack an order for a customer and send the wrong parts!! seriously disappointed with Avon and their crappy directions / pictures which are as clear as mud and especially with the idiot who sent me the wrong part!!!:verymad:
:swear::swear::swear::swear::swear:

... alright... I feel a bit better now. gonna go have a Guinness and curse some more.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I agree, Avon's directions are really, REALLY weak!

There should be two cam's in the package - there was in mine anyway. I believe the 'A' cam is used for the girly VTX and the 'B' cam is used for our manly machines. All I did was hold the B cam next to our stock cam, made sure it matched/looked the same, and would work then alligned the B to the new Avon grip cam and glued her down in more spots than they recommended. They say to wait 30 min, I couldn't wait that long - prolly 10 min while I took off the stock grip/cam. Then carefully assembled cable to Avon cam/grip and put it all back together.

I think the two sided tape is supposed to be for the throttle side but I put it on the clutch side grip. All is tight and works great so far. But can't help but think that the only thing holding the throttle grip is the cable. Might re address that one.

I PM'd you too:D Hang in there, you'll get it. Then we can both send Avon a nasty gram bout their lack of instructions!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree, Avon's directions are really, REALLY weak!

I think the two sided tape is supposed to be for the throttle side but I put it on the clutch side grip. All is tight and works great so far. But can't help but think that the only thing holding the throttle grip is the cable. Might re address that one.

I PM'd you too:D Hang in there, you'll get it. Then we can both send Avon a nasty gram bout their lack of instructions!!
Thanks Mojo! I pm'd u back. My main question is:
Is the cam supposed to fit 'tongue over groove' over the grip's gearing? If not, there's no way the glueing it to the end will allow enough room for it to fit into the starter housing. There's about 3/8 worth of space dedicated to the cam housing cradle within the starter housing. With the Avon directions of the cam being glued ON TOP of the grip, you're looking at .50 to .625 in thickness so it won't fit.

·
Registered
791 Posts
yeah, you're correct, mesh them together! -just slide the B gear over the gear on the Avon grip ...just make sure the gears are lined up with each other - so they are not uneven in the area where there are no gears ...mmm don't think that made any sense!!! but when looking at it you'll know what I mean!

Drop a few drops o glue in the gears/teeth first before sliding them together - like I said, I glued about 6 or 7 spots instead of their recommended 4 (or whatever :D) hold it together and you should be gtg! :doorag:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, you're correct, mesh them together! -just slide the B gear over the gear on the Avon grip ...just make sure the gears are lined up with each other - so they are not uneven in the area where there are no gears ...mmm don't think that made any sense!!! but when looking at it you'll know what I mean!

Drop a few drops o glue in the gears/teeth first before sliding them together - like I said, I glued about 6 or 7 spots instead of their recommended 4 (or whatever :D) hold it together and you should be gtg! :doorag:
Alright so I know I'm not going nuts then!!! They must have sent me the wrong cam as you can see from the picture there's no way on earth that the cam is going over the grip. Ive emailed them a nasty gram so let's see what they gotta say. Thank Mojo

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Confirmed! they sent out the wrong cams!!!

apparently the packer out 7/8 cams in the package instead of the 1 inch ones that are supposed to come with and hence all the damn drama! coupled up with their clear as mud instructions and there you have it! a night of wasted time!

Chris - I bought them straight from the Avon - talked to them this morning and they are over-nighting a new set of cams out today. Thanks again for your call and walking me thru your install to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Will post after pix once they are on.

Famous last words: "Honey - I'm goin in the garage for 30 minutes to install these should be done quick!":joke:

·
Registered
364 Posts
so I finally get some time and get in the garage. I rip apart the starter assembly, undo the throttle cable and all only to find that the cam supplied isn't supposed to be 'glued' as the directions state but that it is supposed to go over the teeth pf the grip!!!! needless to say that after 2 hours of reading and re-reading the directions I reassembled everything back to stock and dragged my sorry arse back in the garage! Ken - we were right in thinking something didnt make sense!

I absolutely HATE stupid SOB's who don't give 2 chitz when they pack an order for a customer and send the wrong parts!! seriously disappointed with Avon and their crappy directions / pictures which are as clear as mud and especially with the idiot who sent me the wrong part!!!:verymad:
:swear::swear::swear::swear::swear:

... alright... I feel a bit better now. gonna go have a Guinness and curse some more.
I know when we looked at them it appeared that the gears should mesh over each other but the pieces you had did not do that. The aftermarket world for the most part revolves around profit, not quality. I don't mind spending the money on good parts. What really pi$$e$ me off is I have spent money on so called "quality parts" and they have turned out to be crap. Deemo, I called Galfer about the chrome peeling off of my rotors and sent them pics. They are suppose to let me know what they will do for me by wednesday. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Famous last words: "Honey - I'm goin in the garage for 30 minutes to install these should be done quick!":joke:
LOL! yup, I hear ya! Glad Avon is taking care of you. -those grips look sweet, you'll be smiling when they're installed:bigthumbsup:
- This site is awesome for info and help. and I'm always happy to share what I know, which usually isn't much:joke:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Deemo, I called Galfer about the chrome peeling off of my rotors and sent them pics. They are suppose to let me know what they will do for me by wednesday. Fingers crossed!
GL Ken - from what I have heard of them, I think they'll do the right thing and take care of it. I'm sure they wouldn't want bad press about their product all over the web ;)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WHY OH WHY????

is it so diffecult to deal with folks that sell parts over the net?
they said "we will FedEx the correct cams to you overnight tonight and you will have by Wednesday"

5:05 and no sign of FedEx. Nor any replies to emails asking for tracking numbers and clarification.

some times you just gotta let it go I guess :-\ :-[

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cams got here - grips went on in less than 30 minutes including clean up. The grips feel really nice - soft but not squishy. The spikes could be a little longer like the Kurys BUT the circumference of the Avons is a tad bit smaller and feels better in the hand.

a few quick pics ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts