M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this has been written & commented about ad nauseum, but I must chime in. 

I've had bikes before, but never really got into modifications much.  Partly because in all honesty, the straight from the factory bikes performed to my satisfaction and I'm not a speed junkie.  Well, reading all the posts here have sorta changed my mind about that.  Thanks, gang!  Anyway, I'm digressing.  I thought the factory pipes sounded nice, but after reading all the posts regarding the stock pipe mods, I decided to give it a whirl. 

I opted to remove the baffles completely rather than drill holes.  The difference in sound is amazing.  For anyone who's on the fence about whether or not they want to try the mod, I'm telling you..........you have GOT to do this one if none other.  I wanted more sound but truly love the look of the stockers, and I think I found something that will keep me happy, at least for a while.  ;)

For those who are considering this mod.......I found that taking a sharp punch and piercing holes close together just inside the weld on the top pipe, and then around the inside circumference of the bottom pipe,  and then taking a sharp chisel or flathead screwdriver and hammering between each were a really good alternative to using a hole saw.  (the metal plates were MUCH softer than I'd anticipated, like I said I'd never tried this before)  To finish things up, I use a dremel to smooth out the high spots between the pilot holes and I'm telling you, I've never been prouder of myself.  It looks like a factory job.  I finished up with some high temperature black paint and you'd never in a million years know it didn't roll off the showroom floor as you see it sitting in my garage.

While this mod may not yeild enough noise for some, I find it to be a vast improvement over the stock sound.

Many thanks to all who've done this before me who've provided tons of comment, direction, pictures, etc.   It was extremely helpful and I was able to feel confident from start to finish thanks to those of you who took the time to pass along you're experiences with guys like me.

Sunny side up fellers!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
well, how'd it go? the jsd mod is a cheap and worthwhile mod also. i'm lovin' it. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, bad109, my post jumped in there on me before I finished typing.........

I think if you re-read, I've answered your question.

The JSD mod is the other I'm seriously considering, and will in all liklihood do as well. I'm also convinced that I'm chroming my rims, but not until the winter. I can't give up my ride while it's warm enough to saddle up!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
how long did it take you to hammer out the baffles? that might be a good alternative for the bottom pipe, with it's uneven surface. got any pics of the tools you used as i might give this a try? :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow, as I'm dog tired right now.

It's actually the top pipe that is angled, not the bottom. The angle of the pipe was what prompted me to consider some alternatives in the first place. I felt comfortable using the hole saw, but figured I'd try something a little different, and it worked out really well.

I'd say it took me no longer than 30 minutes to punch small pilot holes and hammer out both barrels. I spend about an hour or so grinding and smoothing out the mess I'd made before using the high temp paint.

I'll also take a pic or 2 of the finished product so you can see the results.

I can't say, since I didn't use the hole saw, but I felt as though I was able to make a more precise "circular cut" appearance when all was said and done using the punch.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn't get around to taking/posting pics today. I will, though.

The mod squad, huh? I have a feeling this is just the beginning. :doorag:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Stock pipes and sound are fine with me, but I did put in a loud horn and am looking to install the right windscreen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts