M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my plugs. The ones I pulled out (all stock from when I bought the bike) were all black and wet. I've got Big Air, JSD, Power Commander, and have drilled my baffles. I'm running the Stocker_Upgrade map as posted by JR.

The replacement plugs I purchased were one click colder, CR9Ek's (which would seem to be the wrong direction now). Since it looks like my bike was alread running rich, I'm wondering about switching to colder plugs. I guess there's two answers. 1. Even though I have Big Air, with only drilling the baffles, I may not be moving enough air for the JR Stocker_Upgrade map. 2. I need to Dyno and tune my Power Commander for my own bike as YMMV. I think number 1 plays a small part, and number 2 is the prime culprit.

As an aside. My bike runs MOFO better than it did before these mods, and doesn't seem to have changed or slowed any according to the Butt Dyno with the one series colder plugs.

I would have posted a picture of the plugs I pulled., however I discovered if you let plugs sit long enough, they turn grey as the fuel on them evaporates. If I took a picture of how they look now, it would not be representative of how they looked when they came out of the bike.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
they only had one stock map for the 109 on the PClll site why don't you try that and see how it runs, i have it on mine now and the bike is really kickin :bigthumbsup:
I haven't pulled my plugs yet but will soon as my JSD and block off plates get here just an idea :doorag:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
silentrider said:
they only had one stock map for the 109 on the PClll site why don't you try that and see how it runs, i have it on mine now and the bike is really kickin :bigthumbsup:
I haven't pulled my plugs yet but will soon as my JSD and block off plates get here just an idea :doorag:
I ran the PCIII stock map before I switched to JR's Stocker_Upgrade map. Believe me, the JR map is better. I think all it points out is the map I need is somewhere in between. The real answer is to go and dyno tune my bike myself for it's own individual characteristics. One things for sure, I should not be hurt by detonation from running too lean.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
10 -4 :D I to will hit the dyno but I'm waiting so I'll have all my main stuff i want to run on the bike,can't afford to go two or three times :D
JR and Perry ,Lamonster :D they pretty much got it figured out far as mods and maps,this is the first bike I've really put any Mods on so I'm learning a Lot from the guys that know :bigthumbsup:

Let us know how you make out :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ppridgen1 said:
JR says (judging from his dyno tuning) the bike likes it fat down low to produce power and torque and that you will be running a little fat ,If that concerns you have a dyno shop retune and make you another power commander map. He wants time to distance (quarter mile times) to be low as possible ,but this may not suit your riding style. Adjust accordingly !!!
Thanks Perry. I had thought for a while after looking at the JR Stocker_Upgrade map and comparing it number for number with Lamont's map, that JR had a predeliction for running a bit fat. I just didn't know what his angle was or why. Now I know so thanks. And as I said, my bike runs real well on this map so I'm a pretty happy camper (till I can actually do my own tuning), rich or not. THANKS!

·
Registered
665 Posts
If ya want to run the 1/4 mile fast,your gonna be fat on the low end! How ever,you won't be fat on top end. The problem is,that to get real good numbers in the 1/4,your bike is Not gonna be in "street" tune. You either have to reach a compromise(of both) close,but no cigar,or set the bike up to race. I think from reading his post,JR can get it real close(if anyone can). My old Max ran real fat sitting on the line,and sounded like crap when you hit the rev limiter,lots of soot,and popping. But when you pulled the trigger,it cleaned out real fast. It's hard to have the fuel needed for pulling at the bottom end of the quarter mile,and be (right on ) at the line. Just wait until some one grinds a good set of cams for the 109, Then it will be back to step one! :D

·
Registered
665 Posts
Thanks JR! I've found a frame,20 inches over stock. Now if I can Just find a engine :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
jazzman said:
Thanks Perry. I had thought for a while after looking at the JR Stocker_Upgrade map and comparing it number for number with Lamont's map, that JR had a predeliction for running a bit fat. I just didn't know what his angle was or why. Now I know so thanks. And as I said, my bike runs real well on this map so I'm a pretty happy camper (till I can actually do my own tuning), rich or not. THANKS!
I am running his too. My plugs were black when running completely stock, I have not pulled them after running the stocker map and then the JR map.
Are you thinking of leaning it out without going to the dyno???

Sledzep

·
Registered
532 Posts
When I changed mine to 10s on Saturday, the stock 8s looked pretty good. They were closer to lean if anything. Since I'm still running an FI2000 and I can still add fuel, Im pretty happy with that. I think a lot of it has to do with the Edelbrock intakes that I'm using. Man those things let in a lot of air. And the bike really has a lot of torque now.

One thing that I thought was kind of funny though, was that when I removed the plugs from the rear cylinder, the outboard one had just the slightest hint of black coloration and the inboard one was fine. Why would two plugs running in the same combustion chamber look different?

Anyway, I'm not having any problems with the 10s so far, but, I will probably pull them after a few hundred miles and see how they are doing.

·
Registered
267 Posts
With a PCIII you can have your bike tuned for all rpm's and all gears and all throttle positions. If you get a shop to completely tuned, you should be able to remedy your issues.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First person to find a reputable line on cams please sing out. That's the number one change I want to do on my bike. My bike is just screaming for a more aggressive cam profile.

Oh yeah ... and exhaust .... and .......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts