M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2017 M109R B.O.S.S.
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I’m the new owner of a black and blue 2017 M109R BOSS and boy was that 2 hour ride home from the motorcycle pawnshop interesting. This is my first cruiser bike so this is sort of new territory for me as I’m sure it was for some of you.
As for my planned mods I will be doing an ECU tune sometime sooner than later(need to talk with BCS). Before anyone chimes in, I am leaving the stock exhaust for a few reasons. A. I don’t want to annoy the neighbors. B. Price 3. I will be getting a sidecar on it and don’t want to create an echo chamber between bike and sidecar that makes me want to blow my brains out. I’ll put k&n filters and that may be the extent of it honestly. I’m not chasing quarter mile times. I just want good power whenever I need it and a smooth throttle to ride with my dog.
I am looking forward to future adventures with this beautiful machine and interacting with this community.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,206 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Like BCS said, post up some pics when you get that sidecar on it. I've only seen one, and it wasn't a member on here. It was on YouTube a few years agi and was somewhere in Europe at an event where there was a lot of mud. He was having a hard time with it. There's still a couple of videos on YouTube with sidecars. And I've only seen one company making a sidecar kit, are you making your own mounts or trying to find something premade?

·
Registered
2017 M109R B.O.S.S.
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not been able to locate 109s with sidecars except for the short videos on YouTube. Unfortunately they don’t give any insights.

The fabrication and mounting will be done at Texas Sidecar Company. There is a bit of a backlog so it will still be a little while yet but rest assured pics will be posted. I have not seen a company that produces a sidecar kit for the 109. Do you remember the name?

I wonder how a 26” wheel up front would handle a sidecar…🤔

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,206 Posts
Here's the one I found. I know nothing about the company, and just a quick read looks like it's more of a universal kit than something specifically made for the bike. If you can get one custom made for yours, I think that would probably be the better way to go.

·
Registered
2017 M109R B.O.S.S.
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's the one I found. I know nothing about the company, and just a quick read looks like it's more of a universal kit than something specifically made for the bike. If you can get one custom made for yours, I think that would probably be the better way to go.

Mine will be custom made to the bike. That sidecar company is an importer for horrible Indian made scrap metal they call a sidecar. They are very unsafe and you’re right, they come with universal mounts…that universally fit nothing. They are the cheapest sidecars money can buy, but remember, cheap and affordable are not the same thing.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
If you are having your sidecar custom built, have you given any thought to placing the side car on the left side of the bike instead of on the right side of the bike?
This would put the person (or dog) riding in the side car on the opposite side from the exhaust which would be a much more favorable position for them I would think.
As well it would leave the exhaust side (the nicer looking side) of the bike visible and unobstructed.

BCS

·
Registered
2017 M109R B.O.S.S.
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are having your sidecar custom built, have you given any thought to placing the side car on the left side of the bike instead of on the right side of the bike?
This would put the person (or dog) riding in the side car on the opposite side from the exhaust which would be a much more favorable position for them I would think.
As well it would leave the exhaust side (the nicer looking side) of the bike visible and unobstructed.

BCS
I have not given it any thought because it’s not how things are typically done in the US. You can put the sidecar on the left just like you can drive a right hand drive car in the States but it does make driving a bit more tricky. Granted, with a sidecar rig you will have more visibility but you also have to consider the oncoming traffic. Would you want to stick your passenger or dog closer to danger? There is no law governing placement of sidecars (in the US anyway) but typically here they are on the right and on the other side of the pond they are on the left like steering wheels. The only sidecars I have really seen over here that are on the left is from people who were from a country that drives on the wrong side 😂 and they are very nostalgic. There are benefits and weaknesses to both orientations. I suppose the best option to to put a sidecar on either side (some crazy guy actually did this with a Ural) or no sidecar at all. Given my forum name the latter isn’t going to be an option lol.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
The way I see it is your on a motorcycle, so if someone hits the motorcycle or the side car, both cycle and sidecar are likely going to take the toll and neither will get away scot free.
No real protection on a bike either way really when talking about getting hit by oncoming traffic.

BCS

·
Registered
2017 M109R B.O.S.S.
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The way I see it is your on a motorcycle, so if someone hits the motorcycle or the side car, both cycle and sidecar are likely going to take the toll and neither will get away scot free.
No real protection on a bike either way really when talking about getting hit by oncoming traffic.

BCS
I agree but the motorcycle can take the impact better than the sidecar. They are structurally very different. Regardless I don’t want my dog to be between myself and the danger if I can avoid it. She has logged thousands of miles of sidecar riding and we have many more to come. Now if it were some of my exes I would love to put it on the left lol

·
Registered
2017 M109R B.O.S.S.
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone know approximately what some of the fairing pieces cost? Specifically the front right radiator cover and the right panel under the seat.

·
Registered
2017 M109R B.O.S.S.
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you guys. That helped a lot. Fortunately the pieces seem relatively affordable. The fairings will need to be modified for the sidecar and I’m thinking about buying another set and modifying those so I can keep my stockers intact and tuck them away for safe keeping

·
Registered
2017 M109R B.O.S.S.
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well after 4 days of ownership I decided to remove the ECU and send it on down to BCS. I’ve already spent way too much in after market parts that will continue to trickle in over the next couple weeks. Sidecar is still a little ways off but planning is already in the works. I still want to play with my new toy before it’s goes down for surgery. I figure as soon as I can effectively use the current tire then I will take it down for sidecar fabrication and fitment

·
Registered
2017 M109R B.O.S.S.
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
K&N’s and new grips installed. Still waiting on footpegs, smoked tail light, led turn signals strip, flatz front signals, racetech springs, fork oil, seals, polyurethane front motor mounts, steel braided brake lines, and license plate mount to arrive. Someone should really take my card from me lol

·
Registered
2017 M109R B.O.S.S.
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So after less than 2800 miles my stock rear tire is about to be showing metal. Is this normal? I don’t do burnouts

1 - 20 of 45 Posts