M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've calmed down and all cussed out, I can tell my story. I bought some rubber tubing and a condiment bottle to squirt coolant down into the coolant bottle. I management to get my big fat hand in between the plastic fairing the the frame to pop the rubber cork off of the coolant bottle. I even managed to get the rubber tubing into the bottle and siphen in the coolant. Everything was going great until I decided to try and get the rubber cork back onto the coolant bottle.... NO DICE!:edit: I spent an hour trying to find it after it dropped out of my fat hand and down between the hidden part of the bottle and the frame. I finally gave up and proceeded to remove the seat, the tank and detach the fuel line and wire harness. I couldn't figure out how to unplug the fuel line because the stupid little pocket owners manual had no instructions on HOW to disconnect it. So, I simply moved the tank back (protecting those little plastic covers under the tank first) and was able to get the plastic cowling off of the front of the bike with some difficulty but not enough to blast another round of profanities. At any rate, I reinstalled the cork, reinstalled the tank, and hope I didn't damage anything in the process!

-RT

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
agreed.

Take your condiment bottle and shove the end in the overflow line under the motor and squeeze the fluid up the drain line.

Sorry that this may be a little frustrating after going through what you did, but you could have asked first.

For next time, just move the tank back. It only needs to go a little.

Remove the one bolt under the seat. Pop away the plastics that clip to the tank and lift the tank a little. Slide it back just until you can the screw heads on the covers. Stick something under the tank to keep it raised off the plastics. I use a roll of duct tape which works out great.

·
Registered
445 Posts
agreed.

Take your condiment bottle and shove the end in the overflow line under the motor and squeeze the fluid up the drain line.

Sorry that this may be a little frustrating after going through what you did, but you could have asked first.

For next time, just move the tank back. It only needs to go a little.

Remove the one bolt under the seat. Pop away the plastics that clip to the tank and lift the tank a little. Slide it back just until you can the screw heads on the covers. Stick something under the tank to keep it raised off the plastics. I use a roll of duct tape which works out great.
If you undo the clips at the bottom of the plastic cowling you can move the neck covers far enough forward to get the scews out and remove the plastics without touching the tank.I did the coolant change yesterday and did not move the tank.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
If you undo the clips at the bottom of the plastic cowling you can move the neck covers far enough forward to get the scews out and remove the plastics without touching the tank.I did the coolant change yesterday and did not move the tank.
Not sure what clips you are talking about, but that may be because my surround is a one piece custom job and does not share many of the stock mounting locations.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yep....when using the condiment bottle method it should take about 2 minutes to top off the coolant in the bike by simply laying down next to it and sticking the end of the bottle into the coolant drain tube. No need to remove the reservoir cap.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Yep....when using the condiment bottle method it should take about 2 minutes to top off the coolant in the bike by simply laying down next to it and sticking the end of the bottle into the coolant drain tube. No need to remove the reservoir cap.
I would also recommend another person watching the coolant reservoir marks. It will fill up quickly. :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
In doing that method, you may want to push a little water in and out of the tube first to clean it a little. Not enough to make it dump in the reservoir. That way you get any debris out of there before you push it and your new coolant in the bottle.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In doing that method, you may want to push a little water in and out of the tube first to clean it a little. Not enough to make it dump in the reservoir. That way you get any debris out of there before you push it and your new coolant in the bottle.
This is exactly why I didn't want to try this method, but pushing in a bit of water and letter it drain back out should solve the possibility of pushing debree into your engine coolant. This will be my method next time. I just tried taking the same shortcut the dealer claims they used.

RT

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I used a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the black rubber stopper, then a condiment bottle with a piece of hose, stick it in the resevior and squeeze until its at proper level. put the stopped back in and your done - 3 minutes tops !!
Hope this helps - ride safe!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
The overflow hose! Is that the little black tube that comes out in the center of the grill where the oil filter is?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
The overflow hose! Is that the little black tube that comes out in the center of the grill where the oil filter is?
Yup

·
Registered
183 Posts
I stuff either a paper towel or a rag in and around the neck of the coolant bottle so if I drop the stopper it won't fall down into the front shroud causing a lot if extra work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts