M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I also put on my JSD-2 kit last night. I swapped out the resistor for the 2.7 and wired it all up ( this is the old kit) it metered out at 2.69 K and when I switch it on the neutral light goes out and the r's pick up about 200 rpm so I would think its working properly cause the r's pick up when the timing advances right?. So today I went for a 120 mile ride to test it out. Tried switching on for roll ons then off,2nd gear,3rd, same for dead starts. tried on, tried off. I am really not noticing any difference in power. Any clue?  It is wired using the black wire for ground.Does it gotta be the chassis ground for some reason? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Same thing I had happen except in at least one or more gears the RPM cutout was dropped to 6200 or so .........this is with the hack into the harness mod I was hoping the kits would work better for me :( .If you figure this out let me know please ...I'm gonna try my ground connection to the battery instead of the frame. Sorry I can't help.
Dave.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
849 Posts
So, did you hack into the harness with your own assembled stuff (a 2.7 ohm resistor) per Maniac's original instructions, or did you install a kit such as the ones JeffW markets on his JSD products sites? Or did you perhaps try to modify one of the JSD kits? Your message is a Little confusing.
Most problems I've seen listed seem related to installer error, either using the wrong parts or doing the installation incorrectly.
One of the other post that specifically mentions a different rev limiter point, 6200rpm in fact, mounted a kit with the wrong ohm resistor that was designed for another machine.
When doing the plug'n'play option with the JSD3M kit and simply plugging it in to the gear position selector wiring on the right side, I haven't had, nor read about many problems. They've also run like someone let the dogs (the hounds of He!!) out. I can hardly believe the improvement it made in mine personally.
Even with this simple mod though, some have ordered the wrong kits, or did a poor job on ground hookup and thus have obtained less favorable results.
I hope this review helps. When you get it right, you're going to love it.

PretentiousBastage said:
Same thing I had happen except in at least one or more gears the RPM cutout was dropped to 6200 or so .........this is with the hack into the harness mod I was hoping the kits would work better for me :( .If you figure this out let me know please ...I'm gonna try my ground connection to the battery instead of the frame. Sorry I can't help.
Dave.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That got me thinking (which is what I needed) maybe the guy with trifocals gave me a 27 k or a 270 k and I read my meter wrong. Time to recheck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
jerbear said:
So, did you hack into the harness with your own assembled stuff (a 2.7 ohm resistor) per Maniac's original instructions, or did you install a kit such as the ones JeffW markets on his JSD products sites?  Or did you perhaps try to modify one of the JSD kits? Your message is a Little confusing.
Jer this is with my own assembled stuff per Maniac's original instructions.............the reference to hopin' the kit will work better is I've ordered a JSD-M3 ...not here yet though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
849 Posts
I think the JSD3M will solve your problems. There're good instructions on the board for installing. The brass colorored screw right by the install area is a fine place to ground. It's always a good idea to rough the paint up a little in that area, use a star washer, to be sure you're getting a good ground.
Good luck when you get the kit. It's a simple 5 minute install as long as your bike is cooled down. It was a bit tricky unhooking the clips where you plug in the automatic kit when the pipes were hot (as mine were).
Jer

PretentiousBastage said:
Jer this is with my own assembled stuff per Maniac's original instructions.............the reference to hopin' the kit will work better is I've ordered a JSD-M3 ...not here yet though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just double checked the resistor and it is the correct one :mad: WTF? it should work! If it was wired wrong or had an open connection it wouldn't run at all. This burns me.

It is the jsd-2 kit for the gsx'r wired so that the resistor is between the black and pink wire on the right hand side white ECM to GPS connector
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
849 Posts
Zukii,
I'm not really sure WTF. I do know the Assembled M109R specific plug'n'play JSD3M kit Jeff sent me had a separate wire for a chassis ground and that it was important to get a good ground.
Good luck. When you get it right, you'll love it.
Jer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am gonna rewire it so that the pink wire goes thru the resistor and then to chassis ground and see how that works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I rewired it and tested it, the idle came up 200 r's and the speed limiter in 5th is gone, but I really don't feel any difference in 1-3, maybe my bike just came out of the box bada$$ to begin with. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Zuki and Jerber I found my problem was the ground wasn't grounded I ran it to the negative pole on the battery now it's well quite frankly GLORIOUS  :p outstanding , unreal awesome and so forth .Zuki five minutes or so to test this ,might fix everything for you too. Jerber thanks for your help this is great .Zuki just so ya know when the TRE works you know it you don't wonder if you're expecting too much outta the first three gears you just hang on and grin like big ape.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
817 Posts
Zukii said:
I rewired it and tested it, the idle came up 200 r's and the speed limiter in 5th is gone, but I really don't feel any difference in 1-3, maybe my bike just came out of the box bada$$ to begin with. Thanks
The difference isn't really as dramatic as many here have made it out to be. It's definitely noticable, but pretty subtle. Comments along the lines of "it's a whole different bike etc. etc." should be taken with several grains of salt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks - I was expecting a giant shot of power and to wheelie like JR once this was done but subtle the difference is. JR must be using skill instead of power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
Based on the results from dyno charts on this forum in 4th and in 3rd it looks like the 4th gear dynos are generating anywhere between 5 and 10 more peak HP than the 3rd gear dynos. So we should be gaining between 5 and 10 hp.

It's not nitrous but for 44 bucks it's pretty awesome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
817 Posts
Zukii said:
Thanks - I was expecting a giant shot of power and to wheelie like JR once this was done but subtle the difference is. JR must be using skill instead of power.
He sure is! This bike has plenty enough power to wheelie out of the box and then some.

Lifting a cruiser is more an issue of weight, balance, and technique than it is about power anyway. You can wheelie almost any bike once you find the spot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
817 Posts
L-Train said:
Based on the results from dyno charts on this forum in 4th and in 3rd it looks like the 4th gear dynos are generating anywhere between 5 and 10 more peak HP than the 3rd gear dynos. So we should be gaining between 5 and 10 hp.
How do you figure? I'm not following your logic at all. The reason for less peak HP in 3rd doesn't have anything to do with ignition retard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So it might be going from 105 all the way to 110hp. No wonder I can't feel it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
Wanted said:
How do you figure? I'm not following your logic at all. The reason for less peak HP in 3rd doesn't have anything to do with ignition retard.
What else would the reason be?

The ignition is retarded in that gear so you have less power. In fourth it isn't and you have more?

What else would it be?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And don't forget the side subject of vertical lift dynamics JR :D
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top